Bosch CRS180B Reciprocating Saw (000346389586) Reviews

Bosch CRS180B Reciprocating Saw (000346389586)

Saw....EVERYTHING

Oct 21, 2011 (Updated Oct 22, 2011)

Pros:Tough, powerful, well-balanced, long-stroke

Cons:Heat can affect battery life, no LED, awkward speed range switch, no orbital function

The Bottom Line: This thing is an absolute beast of a sawzall with only a few minor drawbacks. If you already have the Bosch 18V charger/battery, you need this.

When I first purchased this, I wasn't sure I'd get my money's worth of it. How much can one man really saw, right? Oh, you'd be amazed.

Packaging

This came in a big combo pack, in a cardboard box with a bag and two blades. Really, nothing special here.

Ergonomics

This is a darn well balanced sawzall. It has rubber overmolding in just the right places and is balanced well enough for one-handed operation. It feels just as natural as carrying a rifle; I even threw a rifle sling on mine to allow for easier scaling of trees.
One minor issue I have is the speed range/safety switch. It's slightly awkward to adjust with smaller hands, but not a deal breaker. Also, a LED would be nice, but it does OK without it.
The blade locking system is as simple as it gets. Press the blade in. Rotate the collar to loosen it. I've had absolutely no issues with it loosening or getting stuck.

Performance

I started off doing pretty standard stuff with this. Cutting some fence posts, a few 2 x 4s and so on. It had a couple speed ranges, and I found the lower to be useful for metal cutting, where higher speeds can ruin blades. The variable speed trigger is quite sensitive, allowing for solid control of reciprocation speed. The shoe is movable, and it works quite well typically.

One day, I came across some pruning blades on clearance. Devious thoughts began to enter my head at this point, and I let them carry me into unusual places, such as the tops of trees. I ended up purchasing some 12" Bosch pruning blades (the absolute best around) and doing all manner of things I'd never expected. I frequently cut limbs 6" or so in diameter, and I even managed to take down some trees around 10" in diameter. Throw on some demolition blades and you're good to go for slicing through wood and nails.

Now, I don't recommend doing such things, but this thing can easily handle trees 6" in diameter with proper technique...for much larger stuff, opt for the chainsaw.

So, yes performance is good, with a few minor quibbles:
This thing can darn near shake you to death. If you were to let your newborn infant use it, the results could be quite bad.

The battery can heat up and significantly cut down the usable life. This doesn't happen during normal use, but it can happen if you're cutting down an 8" tree on a 95 degree day.

There is no orbital mode. Some of the newer sawzalls now have this function.

Battery life varies, but a fatpack battery can cut down around 30 small shrubs and trees. I made at least 25 cuts through 1" aluminum bar stock. Cutting down a large tree uses much more.

Durability

I've put this thing through the ringer. In the filthiest of.environments it continues to perform wonderfully. It's even suffered some 8-10 foot falls from trees without issue. I have no question about the durability of this tool. I guess the Litheon sticker did come off quickly, but that's about it.

Conclusion

This thing is a beast. It can handle pretty well any cutting task within reason. I believe any man worth his salt should own a cordless sawzall, and this is a fine one to own. Bosch even makes a 36V version....just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

Bosch Bare-tool Crs180b 18-volt Lithium-ion Reciprocating Saw

Bosch Bare-tool Crs180b 18-volt Lithium-ion Reciprocating Saw

Bosch Bare-Tool CRS180B 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Reciprocating Saw Brand New - The new Bosch CRS180 features a compact and lightweight design and a LockJaw...

Bosch 18v 18 Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw Crs180 Crs180b

Bosch 18v 18 Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw Crs180 Crs180b

Brand New No Referb Bosch 18V Lithium Ion Reciprocating Saw Model CRS180 Item Condition: Brand New, Never Used, Never Reconditioned in non-retail pack...

BOSCH CRS180BL Cordless Reciprocating Saw,Bare,18 V

BOSCH CRS180BL Cordless Reciprocating Saw,Bare,18 V

Cordless Reciprocating Saw, Bare Tool (No Battery), Voltage 18.0, Cutting Action Straight, Length of Stroke 11/4 In., Shoe Design Keyless, No Load Str...
Zoro

Bosch CRS180K 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1-1/8 in. Reciprocating Saw

Bosch CRS180K 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1-1/8 in. Reciprocating Saw

18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1-1/8 in. Reciprocating Saw - CRS180K. Lithium-Ion FatPack Battery - BAT618. Charger. Blade
CPO Bosch

Bosch Saw. 18-Volt Reciprocating Saw with (1) Fat Pack Battery (4.0Ah) CRS180K

Bosch Saw. 18-Volt Reciprocating Saw with (1) Fat Pack Battery (4.0Ah) CRS180K

Shop for Power Tools at The Home Depot. The Bosch 18-Volt Lithium-Ion line of Cordless Reciprocal Saws uses the industry's most advanced lithium-ion t...
Home Depot

Bosch Tools 18V Reciprocating Saw - CRS180BL

Bosch Tools 18V Reciprocating Saw - CRS180BL

Compact Size/ 2-Speeds/ Lock-Jaw Blade Holder/ Tool Only (Battery Not Included)/ Blue Finish
Abt Electronics

Tyler Tool

CPO Outlets

Bosch Crs180bl 18 Volt Reciprocating Saw (bare Tool) With L-boxx-2

Bosch Crs180bl 18 Volt Reciprocating Saw (bare Tool) With L-boxx-2

Bosch CRS180BL Reciprocating Saw (Bare Tool) Store Home Shop By Brands DeWalt Milwaukee Makita Bosch Hitachi Bostitch Porter Cable All Products About ...

Bosch CRS180BL 18V Reciprocating Saw (Bare Tool) with L-Boxx-2 and Exact-Fit Tool Insert Tray

18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 1-1/8 in. Reciprocating Saw (Bare Tool) - CRS180BL. L-Boxx-2 Storage Case. Exact-Fit Tool Insert Tray. Bare Tool - Battery an...
CPO Bosch