Barrel of Monkeys

What's More Fun than a Barrel of Fez Monkeys!

Jun 1, 2004 (Updated Jun 1, 2004)

Pros:monkeys like to play by their own rules

Cons:hard for sheep to play

The Bottom Line: Wow - who knew you could learn so much about life by playing a simple children's game.

Well the game would be far more interesting if the little monkeys had those cute little caps, but alas poor monkeys will never get their hats because it seems no matter how hard they try, they just can't play by the rules.

I think I've been playing this game for about 4 1/2 years. Some time ago it stopped being my favorite, but lately I've found the need to play and perhaps slightly modify the rules (but don't worry LOL, I'd never suggest you play the game any way other than the rules set out by Hasbro, that would be wrong and not consumerriffic. I'm just saying this is how I choose to play the game in my house

The object of the game is quite simple, to create a chains of chimps. For any of you who have ever tried this, it isn't that easy to do. Of course it might be harder for me to play being that I'm part sheep and have hooves for hands - that often makes it very hard to grasp what the monkey says and does.

It also hard for me to play this game because sheep like hats and often times they don't fit quite right. Mine tends to get too tight around the mid-section. It squeezes what little brain I have left and renders me incapable of making an independent decision or plotting my next move. The other sheep may also tell you this game is pointless and it's time to move on.

Why else is this game so hard to play - let's not only blame the sheep - after all Monkeys aren't nearly as cooperative as sheep. Grabbing the first monkey may be the hardest step. You take him by the little paw and try to explain the rules.

At first you're polite about it, "Please little monkey, if you listen to my advice you'll be able to bring all the little monkeys together, and we'll win this game." After a few attempts doing it that way, you begin to realize your advice goes in one little monkey ear and out the other.

You end up somewhere between "please monkey please" and "die monkey die" it goes a little like this, "
Come along little you're going to do as I tell you OR ELSE!" In this case the OR ELSE is that the monkey gets buried at the bottom of the pile, where no one will see or hear from him again. Or will they, monkeys don't go away that easily.

Another amazing feature of this game is that these little monkeys appear to have a mind of their own. They are somehow able to break free of their restrictive canisters (Red, Yellow and Blue are available and can be found at most retail chain stores like Target and Toys R Us). The canisters are made out of an amazing plastic material that stands up to years of wear and tear while still looking brand new. To clean simply wipe with a damp cloth or sponge - sorry I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be consumerriffic (old habits are very hard to break). Once free they are more than likely to invade your habitat and turn the rules back on you - and no one likes getting strung up by a monkey!

I also find it ironic that the monkeys come in a pack of 12 - hmm sort of like a jury, or more precisely when you string along them along a hung jury - half always agree with what the monkey has to say, and half don't. I wonder if it's possible with this game to ever reach a unanimous verdict.

The monkeys also don't like to get strung up and will fight you every step of the way - plus some have their own agenda - I hear one's currently attending Stanfurd and another one broke his arm in a freak changing table incident.

Winning is simple, you have to be the first one to string along all 12 monkeys (and in a last ditch effort to be consumerriffic - the 12 monkeys are molded out a sturdy plastic, surface clean, air dry. They will pose a choking threat to younger children - but how about reading the canister for once - it's ages 3 and up and how about supervising your kids when they play with them?) You have to do this without dropping or losing any along the way - but this is the most important part - you can only ever win if you follow all of the rules exactly - there is no room to negotiate those rules.

Frankly speaking I find this game excessively boring if you only play by the rules - I think it would be much more exciting if you shook up the canister, drop them out and let the monkeys fall where they may - you may want to pick up a few along the way. There are plenty of monkeys to choose from, so pick carefully - you never know what you'll uncover.

If you haven't found this full of consumerriffic info, then rate accordingly, but please tell me what I left out - not that I'll add it, but I'd be interested to know.

To sum it all up - you get a Barrel and 12 monkeys, barrels come in red, yellow and blue, it's for ages 3 and up, it's made of plastic, made by Hasbro and the object of the game is to shake up the game is to shake up the canister, dump out the monkeys and be the first to string all 12 together, if a monkey drops while making your chain your turn is over, an average game takes about 15 minutes, depending on the number of players (any questions?) - oh, I forgot - it costs about 5 bucks and if you truly think anyone is going to consult my review before they make a 5 dollar toy purchase, you may be more deluded than I am - my monthly income share tells me no.

By the way - if you think you're the Ultimate Circle Jerk, feel free to join my write-off (see my profile page for details.

Type of Toy: Game
Age Range of Child: Whole Family

Monkeys in a Barrel Toy

Monkeys in a Barrel Toy

Monkeys in a Barrel Toy is a classic toy that's great for your desk. To play, dump the monkeys on a flat surface and pick one up by the arm. Use the o...
Office Playground

Barrel of Monkeys

What s more fun than a barrel of monkeys Well, actually nothing! Children will have hours of fun with Milton Bradley s Barrel of Monkeys! For 1 or mor...
Elefun & Friends Barrel of Monkeys Game

Elefun & Friends Barrel of Monkeys Game

Barrel of Monkeys is a classic favorite! Dump the monkeys out into a pile. Pick up a monkey to start your monkey chain. Use the first monkey's arm to ...
Boscovs.com

Monkey In Barrel 2972 Free Ship/usa Folkmanis Puppets

Monkey In Barrel 2972 Free Ship/usa Folkmanis Puppets

FABULOUS FOLKMANIS PUPPETS MONKEY IN A BARREL 6 Long, 6 Wide, 10High FULL BODY HAND PUPPET What's more fun than a barrel of monkeys? Well, a MONKEY IN...
Folkmanis Monkey In Barrel Hand Puppet - 2972

Folkmanis Monkey In Barrel Hand Puppet - 2972

What’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys? Well, a MONKEY IN BARREL puppet of course! When you pull the monkey down into the soft microfiber barrel, th...
PuppetHut.com

Hasbro Inc. A2042 Barrel Of Monkeys

Hasbro Inc. A2042 Barrel Of Monkeys

Start your own wild monkey parade with the Barrel of Monkeys game! These little monkeys have gone wild and when you throw them all in a big pile, they...

Barrel of Sock Monkey Game

Barrel of Sock Monkey Game

What's more fun than a barrel of monkeys? Nothing! Except for a barrel of sock monkeys, that is. This is a nostalgic twist on the classic barrel of mo...
Office Playground

Barrel of Monkeys
Monkey In A Barrel Folkmanis 2972 Hand Puppet Pretend Play Christmas Stuffer Toy

Powered by Frooition Pro Shop Search Monkey in a Barrel Folkmanis 2972 Hand Puppet Pretend Play Christmas Stuffer Toy Click here to view full size. Fu...

Barrel Of Monkeys Infant Costume Sz 0-6 Months Boy Girl Halloween Disguise