Bath & Body Works Anti Bacterial Moisturizing Hand Lotion

Bath and Body Works Hand Soap. Here's the Rub.

Feb 27, 2006 (Updated Apr 3, 2006)

Pros:Good looks. Somewhat sexy Scent. Reasonable price.

Cons:Triclosan

The Bottom Line: Since Mrs. Spudman likes this product very much, I didn't lower my rating. Personally I am concerned about the triclosan factor.

For most Epinion reviews I usually do a little research beforehand, looking for additional facts and figures that might be pertinent or some details of related interest. It’s usually a learning experience for me. I didn’t know what I expected to find while researching Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea Anti-Bacterial Deep Cleaning Hand Soap with vitamins B5 and E. It’s amazing they could get that whole name on the diminutive container. Anyway, I got far more than I bargained for with my little bit of digging. There’ll be more about my research and ingredient concerns at the end of this review.

Mrs. Spudman likes the Bath and Body line of products and suggested I review this hand soap. The antibacterial Deep Cleaning Hand Soap comes in 18 scents and colors: Cherry Blossom, Mango Mandarin, Crisp Citrus Herb, Sun-Ripened Raspberry, Country Apple, Juniper Breeze, Sweet Pea, White Tea and Ginger, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Coconut Lime Verbena, Cucumber Melon, Moonlight Path, Cotton Blossom, Warm Vanilla Sugar, Kitchen Lemon, Kitchen Spice, and Kitchen Herb. I must say that these names sound very appealing, their fuzzy, flavorish, and warm connotations pushing just the right consumer buttons. These soaps also come in moisturizing and gentle foaming variations in a dizzying number.

This specific hand soap is packaged in an 8-ounce clear plastic container with a pink lid and pink pump dispenser. The soap itself is a light iridescent pink color with flecks of black scattered thinly throughout. Within the soap are cleansing beads with the appearance of bubbles in the soap. The tapered container is easy to grasp and the soap applies easily and readily. It has a sweet, floral almost fruity scent that Mrs. Spudman finds pleasing. She’s tried most of the scents and Sweet Pea is one of her favorites.

Our (her) Experience

Mrs. Spudman unfortunately is a smoker and uses this soap after every cigarette in an attempt to wash off the cigarette odor from her hands. She likes the silky, soft feel of the soap on her hands and the hint of a scent that lingers afterwards. Occasionally I’ve used this soap also, thinking it was my woodchip lava, man soap. It does feel smooth and I can understand why someone would like this soap and continue to use it. Mrs. Spudman tells me she likes this soap also because it doesn’t dry her skin out like other soaps do. I’ll just take her word on that.
For a designer soap this product is not very expensive. The Bath and Body web site lists it currently at a special three for ten dollars. That’s not much more than one would pay for hand soap at the grocery store or the manly pinecone bark soap I get at the local hardware store for myself. Its regular price is higher than that, but it’s occasionally on sale in the stores at 4 for 10 dollars. The antibiotic line is on sale more often than the others.
Do I recommend it? Based on the information above I would have no reason not to do so. Its visually appealing appearance decorates the kitchen counter top; its scent is pleasant and long lasting; its price is reasonable.

WARNING
“For external use only. Do not use in the eyes. Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a poisoncontrol center right away. Discontinue use if redness and irritation develop.” This is from the back of the container printed in tiny, barely legible type.

Active Ingredient: Triclosan
Among the ingredients of the lengthy, barely decipherable ingredient list are: water, glycol, alcohol, fragrance, lauramide DEA, triethanolamine, aloe, coneflower extract, sweet violet extract, and many other unpronounceable, unspellable ingredients. I decided to stop reading while I still have some eyesight left.

Addendum
Ciba invented triclosan over thirty-five years ago and calls it the aspirin of the antibacterial actives. The widespread use of this antibacterial chemical is eye popping.
It can be found in many detergents, hand soaps, dish washing liquids, dental care products, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions, personal and first aid products, various toothpastes, kitchenware, computer equipment, clothes, children’s toys and such diverse products as whirlpools, paint, wall coverings, ear plugs, air filers, mops, and towels. For the sake of brevity I actually halved this list.

So what’s the problem? For one, even Ciba on its website urges consumers to use triclosan safely and responsibly. The companies that add this chemical to their products vouch for its safety; yet the EPA has registered it as a pesticide. Angela McGhee, Ph.D in biology, states “The chemical formulation and molecular structure of this compound are similar to some of the most toxic chemicals on earth, relating it to dioxins and PCB’s.”
Do your own search and you’ll find site after site after site warning of the dangers of triclosan to humans and to the environment. When you rinse it down the drain, it doesn’t just dissolve and disappear. It continues to exist and combine with other substances such as chlorine killing both good and bad bacteria.

Recent studies have indicated that the use of antibacterial soap is an unnecessary expense and is no more effective than regular hand soap in washing germs and bacteria from the hands. It is a shotgun approach, an overkill actually causing more harm than good. Triclosan does kill bad bacteria, but it also kills beneficial bacteria on our bodies and in our environment. Microbiologist Laura McMurray and associates at Tufts University
School of Medicine say, “triclosan is capable of forcing the emergence of superbugs that it cannot kill.”

I’ve wandered off a bit on a tangent, but I think that knowing about the possible negatives regarding triclosan is important. Mrs. Spudman and I both are both concerned about its pervasiveness in consumer products and its possible negative consequences. She says her next choice of Bath and Body soap will not be from the anti-bacterial line.

Bath & Body Works Anti-bacterial Holder, Lip Gloss Holder, Lotion Pump X1

Bath & Body Works Anti-bacterial Holder, Lip Gloss Holder, Lotion Pump X1

NEW BATH BODY WORKS ANTI-BACTERIAL HOLDER, LIP GLOSS HOLDER, LOTION PUMP.100% Authenti c Bath Body Works Product.YOU MAY CHOOSE FROM THE LIST OF THE I...

Bath & Body Works Pocket Anti Bacterial Hand Gel Black Pearl Lot Of 5 W Holder

Bath & Body Works Pocket Anti Bacterial Hand Gel Black Pearl Lot Of 5 W Holder

Bath amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Body Works pocketbac anti bacterial hand gel Black Pearl Lot of 5+holder *****RARE*****BRAND NEW NEVER BEEN USED OR ...

Bath & Body Works Anti-Bacterial Deep Cleansing Hand Soap 8 fl oz Fresh Lavender

4 Bath & Body Works Hand Gel Anti Bacterial Hand Sanitizer Free Holder You Pick

4 Bath & Body Works Hand Gel Anti Bacterial Hand Sanitizer Free Holder You Pick

4 Bottles Bath Body Works Anti-bacterial Hand Gel All same scent - You Pick Free Holder This transaction is for a lot of 4 Bottles Bath Body Works Ant...

Bath & Body Works Twisted Peppermint Anti-bacterial Hand Soap

Bath & Body Works Twisted Peppermint Anti-bacterial Hand Soap

YOU ARE BIDDING ON (1 ) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED BATH BODY WORKS LIMITED QUANTITY DISCONTINUED ANTI-BACTERIAL DEEP CLEANSING HAND SOAPS TWISTED PEPPER...

Bath Body Works Kitchen Lemon 8.0 oz Anti-Bacterial Deep Cleansing Hand Soap

Bath Body Works Kitchen Lemon 8.0 oz Anti-Bacterial Deep Cleansing Hand Soap

Buy Bath & Body Works Hand Soaps & Hand Scrubs - Bath & Body Works Kitchen Lemon 8.0 oz Anti-Bacterial Deep Cleansing Hand Soap
Bath Body Works Winter Cranberry 8.75 Oz Anti-bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap

Product Description Buy Bath Body Works Hand Soaps Hand Scrubs - Bath Body Works Winter Cranberry 8.75 oz Anti-Bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap Bath...

5 Bath & Body Works Pocketbac Winter Anti-bacterial Hand Gel

5 Bath & Body Works Pocketbac Winter Anti-bacterial Hand Gel

Bath Body Works Winter .PocketBac Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel 1 fl oz (29 ml) Each Bottle Au ction is for 5 Bottles You are buying exactly same as you see...

Bath Body Works Fresh Sparkling Snow 8.75 oz Anti-Bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap

Buy Bath & Body Works Hand Soaps & Hand Scrubs - Bath & Body Works Fresh Sparkling Snow 8.75 oz Anti-Bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap
4 Bath & Body Works Hand Gel Anti Bacterial Hand Sanitizer Free Holder Holidays

4 Bath & Body Works Hand Gel Anti Bacterial Hand Sanitizer Free Holder Holidays

4 Bottles Bath Body Works Anti-bacterial Hand Gel All same scent - Free Holder Holiday Collection This transaction is for a lot of 4 Bottles Bath Body...