Belkin  (F5D51308) 8-Ports External Switch Reviews

Belkin (F5D51308) 8-Ports External Switch

Best 8 port switch for cheap?

Jan 7, 2003

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Inexpensive, uplink port switch, works the same as more expensive models

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: For home use, there's nothing cheaper for the performance and number of ports.

Although many don't see Belkin as a premier network equipment maker, they sure did get it right.

OUT OF THE BOX: The switch came with simple setup instructions, a cd with software to setup a home network (not necessary with Windows 2000 or Windows XP), and the power brick. Setup was a snap with the included instructions. It even explains how to setup the uplink port if you have a DSL or Cable connection. Once I connected all my computers to the switch I powered it up. I did not use the included networking software as Windows XP includes it's own network setup application. Once all the computers had run their network setup they were all talking to each other without any hassles. Total setup time: 20 minutes.

IN OPERATION: The switch works flawlessly. Each connection has it's own light that lights up orange if running at 100Mbit or green if running at 10Mbit. The switch itself is a odd shape to lie on it's side but it's really designed to be standing up. Pinging all the computers on the network yield pings at 3ms as expected. My last test was to run a 4 player game of Star Wars Racer. This game is very dependent on the network being speedy and it ran great.

FINAL WORD: If you go hunting some search engines you can find this switch almost 1/2 the price of many other 8 port switches. It will deliver for you the same performance for your home network that many other more expensive switches will.

Driver Availability: Windows only

TRANSLATE Arabic Chinese French German Greek Indonesian Italian Hindi Japanese Korean Swedish Portuguese Russian Spanish Belkin 8 Port Network Switch ...

BRAND NEW PART NUMBER:F5D5131-8 Store Policies Welcome to the Palmyes eBay Store!To make your purchase as seamless as possible, please see our store p...