Belkin F5D8235-4 300 Mbps 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router Reviews

Belkin F5D8235-4 300 Mbps 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router

The good, the bad and the ugly

Feb 15, 2009 (Updated Feb 15, 2009)

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Reliable wireless network connection

Cons:Dubious and super slow external USB storage port

The Bottom Line: Get it for wireless speed, not external USB storage

After going through one Lynksys after another, about one every other year and also having to reprogram it once every two or three months (they seem to randomly lose settings) or whenever the power went out, I just had enough!  I wanted something new and different, no matter what the cost.  I went to Best Buy and got this one on the spot without looking at any reviews.  Sofar, I have had it since December and am happy with it.  Setup was easy but the guest mode seemed to have a problem with the USB Belkin wireless modem that I have on the other PC on the other side of the house.  It simply kept trying to connect to the guest mode that I was letting a neighbor use.  Because of this, the only solution was to turn off the guest mode.

The Good:  Pretty fast, has network jacks for hard wire connections and has a USB port for external storage.  So far, the unit has not lost its settings whenever it has lost power (unlike every Lynksis I have ever used).

The Bad:  Guest mode seems to confuse the Belkin USB connectable wireless modem so that it does not connect to the correct connection.  The USB external hard drive connection on the unit.  THE UGLY:  Having an external USB connected hard drive appears pointless due to the incrediby slow data transfer rate.  If you want to take 2 hours to copy 3 GB of data to it, go ahead.  I don't see the point since you could just plug it into your PC and get a much faster connection!  It really is insane that this should be a 'feature'.

Amount Paid (US$): $130
Driver Availability: Other

The Belkin F5D8235-4 wireless router is a great piece of hardware for performing Wi-Fi computing. Multiple devices can connect to this 4-port wireless...