Spring was upon us and Mother Nature was in full bloom. Warmer weather was a welcome and it meant more time outside for my family. But warmer weather in the south also means mosquitoes, yellow jackets and fire ants - just a few of our backyard foes. As fate would have it, my four year old found her curiosity too strong and she poked a stick in a small bed of fire ants. As the ants scurried, so did she, but not before one attached itself to her big toe.
I had been treating the ant bite with an anti-itch lotion to help keep the area from itching and my daughter from scratching. We had made a trip to my mother's house when I realized that I failed to take the bottle of lotion with us. The bite began to itch and my little girl began to scratch and complain.
My mother insisted we make a mad dash to her local drug store to get something for the bite. She said she had heard some wonderful things about Benadryl Itch Relief Stick from her friends - several who farm and often require the use of anti-itch products.
I figured it wouldn't hurt to give the product a try. Plus I liked the convenience of the 0.47 ounce slim tube which I could slip down in my purse or backpack for our park outings or hikes.
About Benadryl Itch Relief Stick
This product is distributed by Pfizer Consumer Healthcare. It is a topical analgesic and skin protectant that provides extra strength itch relief by using the active ingredients Diphenhydramine HCI 2% (topical analgesic) and Zinc Acetate 0.1% (skin protectant). According to the product description, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride will stop the itch at its source by blocking the histamine that causes itch.
Alcohol, glycerin, povidone, purified water, and tromethamine
The stick is, as I stated above, 14 mL or (0.47 fl oz). It is slim and will fit in a purse, backpack, diaper bag, pant pocket or almost anywhere else you can think of. The tube is white plastic with a twist off cap. The tip of the stick, where the liquid is dispensed, is soft, cloth like. There is also a lot number and expiration date stamped on both the package and tube. Our stick was purchased this past spring 2007 and the Itch Relief Stick does not expire until 01/2009.
Directions for use are simple (per tube):
1. just remove the cap (do not use more than directed) and hold the stick straight down over the affected skin.
2. press the tip of the stick repeatedly on the affected area until liquid flows, then dab sparingly.
3. adults and children 2 years of age and older; apply to affected area not more than 3-4 times daily.
Ages to Use the Itch Relief Stick On
This product is for use on ages 2 years and up. Ages under 2, consult your physician prior to use.
What the Itch Relief Stick is used for:
The Benadryl Itch Relief Stick claims to temporarily relieves pain and itching associated with:
Minor skin irritations
Rashes due to poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.
It also dries the oozing and weeping of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.
Per directions, ask a doctor before use on chicken pox or measles. Also, avoid contact with eyes and make sure to keep it our of the reach of children. If product is swallowed, make sure to contact a Poison Control Center or get medical help right away.
Also, if conditions worsens or does not improve or if symptoms persist for more than 7 days or clear up and occur again within a few days contact your physician.
Furthermore, do not use Benadryl Itch Relief Stick on large areas of the body. And if you are using any product that contains diphenhydramine, even if it is taken by mouth, do not use the itch relief stick.
Our Experience & Final Thoughts
After I made the purchase I immediately opened the package. My daughter was somewhat hesitant at allowing me to apply the stick to her toe. So after a little persuasion by both her grandmother and me, she finally gave in.
I uncapped the product and pressed the rounded tip of the stick against the ant bite on her toe until I noticed clear liquid appearing. I proceeded exactly as the directions stated, dabbing the stick sparingly over the area. I was shocked at how quickly the liquid was absorbed into her skin. There liquid didn't run off her skin, there was no mess whatsoever and it left no residue. Within a matter of seconds following application of the Benadryl my daughter stopped complaining about the bite on her toe. I did reapply the product about every 6 hours to keep her itch-free.
Both my husband and I have used the Benadryl Itch Relief Stick on mosquito and ant bites and have found it to work well - or at least keep us itch free for about 4-5 hours. The liquid is cool as it is applied to the skin, but it is absorbed almost instantly. I also like that doesn't leave a residue on our skin and it does not have an odor/fragrance/scent that I can detect.
The main thing that has sold me on the product is that it keeps my 4 yr old from scratching at those miserable bug bites. It's bad enough to do all you can to try and prevent a bug bite only for your child to end up with one. But it's even worse for them to be miserable - and I certainly don't want to put my child at risk for a secondary infection from an itchy bug bite because I didn't treat it.
So if you enjoy time outdoors this just might be the perfect product for you to keep on hand - just in case you have a show-down with any flying, hopping, creeping-crawling thing that might decide to nibble on you.
If you would like further information on this product you can visit the Pfizer website at www.prodhelp.com or call 1-800-524-2624 with questions.
Finally, I can't recall the exact amount but I believe I paid about $4.99 for the .47 fl oz tube of Benadryl Itch Relief at a CVS Pharmacy.
Thanks for reading!!
Read all 18 Reviews
Write a Review