Bengay Ultra Strength Reviews

9 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Got a pain in the neck?

Oct 9, 2001

Pros:It works - what else is there?

Cons:It can get a bit expensive but it's worth it. Really worth it.

The Bottom Line: For muscle aches and joint pain, this product is amazing. I highly recommend it.

This weekend my family and I had a garage sale and after four days of prep work, selling and tearing down whatís left, Iíve come to two startling conclusions: Number one, I now remember why working retail sales gave me hives and number two, I hurt. When you have a setup with a blend of Barnum & Bailey and a discount department store, somethingís got to give. I moved more tables, furniture and clothes rounders that my back felt like a Rold Gold Twist complete with salt sprinkles. So instead of searching for a giant glass of beer to soak in, I reached for the Bengay. Normally I wouldnít write about Bengay but this stuff is great. It relieves aching quicker than most other over the counters and some prescription meds (as I found out).

Since the following incident Iíve also tried the Bengay in the green tube as well but that Wint-O-Green Life Saver smell lingered a little too long for my taste. The Ultra Strength isnít nearly as fragrant.

How I discovered Bengay
My mother introduced me to this product a few months ago. Of course Iíd grown up knowing about Bengay but vowed never to need it because I was, in my younger years, a pigheaded fool. Then I hit my thirties and found out just how backwards a body can act.

When my husband and I moved back to Texas, I yanked the granddaddy of all muscles in my back trying to unload a harmless looking box that was, unbeknownst to me, loaded with books. To put this into perspective, letís suppose the United States is a personís body. Mine was aching from Green Bay, Wisconsin down to Brownsville, Texas with sympathy pains as far away as Knoxville, Tennessee. I was listing toward Southern Florida by about six that evening and was afraid Iíd lose a state in my Union. I took a dose of prescription medication I had for just such an occasion (thankfully these occasions are few and far between). Unfortunately the prescription didnít work. To give you an idea of how well Bengay works, my prescription is for a 250 milligram muscle relaxer.

My parents brought us dinner that night and along with dinner, I found out Mom was also packing Bengay. It worked for her every time, she said. In my mind I thought she was kidding. Not even my prescription meds would ease this pain so what's an over the counter pain reliever going to do? My back was killing me so I let her rub Bengay on it. About now I should admit another thing too. I loathe the smell of Bengay. In my youth I could smell it a mile off and it made the hairs in my nose curl. Yet when my mother rubbed it on my back, it didnít smell a thing like I expected. It wasn't bad Ė in fact, for being ultra strength it wasnít a strong smell at all, at least to me, and it dissipated in a short time. Itís not exactly Estee Lauderís ďBeautifulĒ (Ultra Strength still smells like a Wint-O-Green Life Saver) but itís tame enough I donít mind applying it and going shopping if need be. It's not oily or greasy - it soaks in quickly and lets you get on with other chores.

The heat it generated felt warm and comfortable, especially when the muscle began to loosen up, this same muscle that prescription meds couldn't touch, Bengay worked like a charm. The advertisement says Bengay increases blood flow to muscles, and after using it, I believe the ad (you wonít hear me say that often).

My husband bought two tubes after seeing such a dramatic change in my posture and attitude. I was actually feeling better after one application but required subsequent applications for about four days or so. For over the counter, heck, for any medication, this product works and works fast. It may not kill all the pain at first but itíll sure make you more comfortable in a hurry.

Directions
ďApply generously and gently until Bengay disappears. Repeat 3 to 4 times daily.Ē Iíve never had to use a lot to get relief Ė about dime size or less depending on the pain Ė so one tube lasts me a long time.

Warnings
Most of the warnings are common sense warnings. Itís for external use only. Please donít swallow the product either whole or by squirting it in the mouth. Believe me, that warning is utterly vital. I had two cousins who would try it on a dare so also keep it away from kids. This product, Iím assured by the package, will not work as intended if it gets in a personís eyes, mucous membranes or broken or irritated skin. They advise the buyer, ďDo not bandage tightly,Ē and I certainly donít want to try it and neither should my cousins or anyone else.

Sizes & Cost
It comes in 2 oz., 4 oz. and 6 oz. tubes. I buy at Wal-Mart and a 2 oz. tube costs around $4.70 and the 4 oz. costs about $6.90. Thatís cheaper than the prescription medication I have and as they say, sometimes cheaper is better.

Active Ingredients: Methyl Salicylate 30%, Menthol 10%, Camphor 4%. The Inactive Ingredients are supposedly inactive and can only be pronounced by people with double-jointed tongues (with the exception of Purified Water) so I didnít list them. They are, however, listed on the website.

Website info
On this site you can find:
* Information about every Bengay known to mankind (and thatís a lot);
* A list of exercises people can do to improve their backís health;
* A FAQ about Bengay;
* A section about ďUnderstanding Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid ArthritisĒ;
* Tips on how to avoid back pain;
* A link to the Pfizer ďConsumer Health CareĒ section which will open up a whole new can of worms dealing with everything from baby care to sleep aids.
* And contact information for Pfizer itself.

Thanks to my mother, Iím keeping this product in my house for the duration. It works and is worth every penny. I hope it works as well for you if you decide to try it.

I hope this review has helped anyone who might be in need of good effective non-prescription pain relief and thanks for taking time to read it!

Bengay Ultra Strength 4x 4 Ounce Tubes 16 Oz Total

Bengay Ultra Strength 4x 4 Ounce Tubes 16 Oz Total

BenGay Ultra Strength Twin Pack 4x 4 OZ. (113g) tubes Total Net Wt. 16 OZ. (452g) Deep Penetrating Pain Relief Non Greasy Cream Fast relief from minor...

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch, Large Size, 4 count

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch, Large Size, 4 count

Ultra Strength Bengay Pain Relieving Patches provide concentrated, deep penetrating heat in a self-adhesive patch that targets your pain so you have m...

Ultra Strength Bengayģ Cream, 8 Ounces

Ultra Strength Bengayģ Cream, 8 Ounces

Get powerful pain relief for aching muscles and joints with the brand that is;#1 Doctor Recommended #1 Pharmacist Recommended Feel BENGAYģ cream work ...

3 Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 2oz

3 Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 2oz

3 new Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 2oz, exp:01/2015 or later

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 8 X 4 Oz Tube

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 8 X 4 Oz Tube

BENGAY ULTRA STRENGTH NON-GREASY CREAM / PAIN RELIEVING CREAM USES Temporarilly relieves the minor aches and pains of muscles and joints associated wi...

American Drug Supply Store
BenGay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch Large for Back to Hip 4 ea

BenGay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Patch Large for Back to Hip 4 ea

Ultra Strength - Pain Relieving Patch - Menthol Topical Analgesic Patch Powerful Pain Relief Deep, Penetrating Heat Long Lasting, Up to 8 Hours ...
drugstore.com

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 2 Tubes, 4oz Each ( 113g ) Each,

Bengay Ultra Strength Pain Relieving Cream 2 Tubes, 4oz Each ( 113g ) Each,

Template By Fr This is the Large Twin Pack Box of BENGAY Ultra Srength Pain Relieving Cream for external pain relief. Brand new factory sealed. Deep p...