Bergad Mattress Bergad Isoform Mattress Reviews

Bergad Mattress Bergad Isoform Mattress

Bergad vs Tempurpedic - Bergad won!

Nov 20, 2004 (Updated Nov 21, 2009)

Pros:Quality product, extremely comfortable, quick break-in and reasonably priced

Cons:Customer Service: have to talk to the "right" person to get questions answered.

The Bottom Line: I would highly recommend Bergad as it is definitely the most comfortable bed that I've ever slept on.

Update: November 21, 2009

It has now been 5 years since my purchase and I am still quite content!  I have no back pains and I continue to awake feeling fully rested.
I don't see any evidence of deterioration as the mattress still gently conforms to me when I am in it and retuns to normal when I am not.  You may recall I have two XL twins that form the King...I sometimes think of buying a full King mattress (Bergad has some new offerings I'd like to try), but it's hard to justify since these are perfectly fine even with the slight split in the middle.  I only notice the split when I stretch in the morning before rising, I don't notice it when I'm sleep.
As for maintenance, occassionally, I will switch the mattresses, or turn them (not flip), but that's only because it's part of my spring clean routine.  I take the mattress covers off to wash them a few times a year and that can be a chore.

Five years later I still think this was a great purchase. This product is holding up nicely, is low-maintenance, and continues to perform its function superbly.

As for the free pillows, they did not fare so well. The unusual shape made them difficult to cover and they didn't look particularly attractive on the bed. I did not like the feeling of them uncovered.
I think mine sufferred unusual wear and tear (kids) and ultimately turned out to be a little too attractive to the dog. We no longer have those.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Review :

After several years of fitful nights on our king size spring mattress, we decided it was time to make a change. I had several friends who had purchased Tempurpedic beds and couldn't say enough about how great they were, in spite of the fact that they were quite pricey. I decided to do more research about visco-elastic mattresses andcame upon the E-pinions site where I found quite a few positive reviews on Bergad.

I contacted Bergad in mid July 2004 to get more information about the bed, its construction and to obtain a sample of the foam. Amy was very helpful, and sent the materials for my review right away. The materials included a letter with a price sheet, a brochure about the Isoform mattress, and a foam sample. I also received a follow-up call from John who called to ensure that I had received the proper response from my initial inquiry. I also contacted Tempurpedic and they sent their materials, which included a large colorful brochure, a video and a sample of the foam.

There was a distinct difference between the look and feel of the little foam samples. The Tempurpedic foam has little tiny holes while the Bergad has much larger holes. They had similar foam densities, but the Bergad had a lighter feel. An additional difference that I noted was that when scrunching the foam and releasing it, the Bergad returned to its natural state a little quicker.

I took a few months to continue my research. During that time, Tempurpedic sent advertisements, brochures, and special pillow offers almost weekly. (no wonder they cost so much--advertising is expensive!) I decided to try both the Bergad and the Tempurpedic since they both offered a 90 day return policy.

THE BERGAD EXPERIENCE - Customer Service
I called Bergad, and Darlene answered the phone. I asked to speak to Amy and she snappily told me that there was no Amy there. I told her that I had spoken with Amy in July about possibly purchasing a bed. She said she didn't know anything about any Amy and that all she did was answer the phones. I asked if there were a Sales Rep that I could speak to, andshe said no, but she'd have someone call me back. After about a week, I still had heard nothing, so I called back. The second call produced another difficult woman, (don't recall her name) who claimed to be a Sales Rep. I told her that I was interested in purchasing a bed, but that I had a few questions. I wanted to know how thick (in inches) the visco-elastic foam was and if it came in different sizes. She asked me if I had gone to the internet to look up that information. I told her no. I then asked her if she knew how Bergad compared to Tempurpedic. She exasperatedly asked me if that information couldn't be found on the site as well. Getting mildly irritated, I asked if there was someone else there that I could speak with that was a bit more knowledgeable about the products they sold. With a quick click, I was placed on hold. John Wood came on the line and frankly, he saved this sale. He was a wealth of knowledge about the Isoform mattress, as well as the make up and content of his competitors. (he named about 5 including Tempurpedic). He spoke to their manufacturing process, and compared and contrasted theirs to that of other companies. He spoke of the density, why their materials were different (and in his opinion better, of course). He explained that the larger pores (holes) in the Isoform allow for better breathability and dissipation of body heat. He explained to me about the different sizes and thickness. I ended up ordering two Twin Extra-longs that were 10 inches thick including 4" of visco. He told me that it would be delivered in about two weeks and included in my order were two free head pillows and leg rests. I received a confirmation/receipt of my order via email, and true to his word, my beds were delivered within two weeks.
Bergad uses an external company for the delivery. They normally don't bring your merchandise into the house.

THE TEMPURPEDIC EXPERIENCE - Customer Service
I called Tempurpedic, and spoke with Luella. She was very courteous and pumped up about the product...her Tempurpedic "spill" was well rehearsed. I asked her about the Deluxe and she told me it was 10" thick with 4" of visco and 6" of other foam. She gave me my customer id# and a customer service number for any questions or problems. I asked her about the free pillows and she didn't know what offer number to use without the brochure. She told me to just contact customer service when I had the brochure in front of me and they would be able to help. The following day I called customer service and was told that the only ones they had left were the Queen sized andthat's what they would send. I received a call from the delivery center about 1 week later and scheduled my delivery. The delivery guys brought in my Deluxe Twin Extra-long bed removed it from the box and set it up in my bedroom. That is a normal part of Tempurpedic's delivery for $159.00.

COST COMPARISON

Tempurpedic - 1 10" (Deluxe) Twin Extra Long mattress
159.00 Shipping
Total Cost $1658.00

BED COMPARISON
I received the Bergad mattresses, foundations, free pillows, andthe leg rests as scheduled. There was a mild scent to the bed that wasn't particularly offensive...which wore of in a matter of days. I found the bed somewhat firm but comfortable. I slept comfortably the first night, but woke with some minor low back pain. This was not uncommon, but I had hoped that I would no longer have that after sleeping on a visco mattress. By the end of the week, however, all low back pains were gone. By the end of the 2nd week I noticed how much more rested I felt in the mornings andthose nagging pains were totally gone. I also found that I was sleeping comfortably through the night instead of tossing andturning trying to find a new comfortable position. I was looking forward to going to bed each night just to have that blissful sleep!

About 3 weeks into the Bergad experience, my Tempurpedic bed arrived. I took one of the Bergad mattresses off and replaced it with the Tempurpedic, having one of each to make up the king size bed. The Tempurpedic was not quite as thick as the Bergad. The Bergad measured 10", however the Tempurpedic only measured 9.25". I did check under the covering though, and they both had 4" inches of visco.
Tempurpedichad a nicer cover in that it zips all the way around allowing you to zip it off to clean it without having to lift the whole mattress. Bergad's cover, too, can be removed for cleaning, but removal is a bit more challenging.

The Tempurpedic smell was a bit stronger than the Bergad, but it too was minimal by the end of the first week.

When I first laid down on the Tempurpedic, it seemed to have a more luxurious feel to it. It seemed to envelop you slowly, and you could feel your body sort of settling in. Unfortunately, I woke the next morning with the low back pains again. I continued to sleep on the Tempurpedic the remainder of the week, and each morning I woke with the pains. I also noticed that I seemed to get too warm at night (very unusual for a person like me who is anemic and alwayscold. I called Tempurpedic and was told that I could speed up the break in by walking andjumping on the mattress. We did that over a course of a few days. It did seem to make a difference in loosening up some of the firmness around the edges, but I continued to wake up with the low back pain. I also noticed that I'd wake up several times during the night and had a bit more difficulty changing positions. By about week 4, I was ready to try the ole Bergad again. So at the end of week 4 with the Tempurpedic (giving it equal time) , I switched back to the Bergad. Immediately I slept through the night and had no pains when I woke the next morning.

BYE BYE TEMPUR
My decision was made. I contacted Tempurpedic customer service and advised that I would like to return the bed. I was transferred to the return department. Pamela asked why it didn't work out, and I explained about the low back pains and unsettled sleep. She said that was not uncommon and said that she would put in my return request but while I waited the 2 -3 weeks to be contacted that I should try to remove the covering off the bed and just sleep with a bed sheet over the foam. If I decided to keep the bed after doing that to just call back and let them know. I received a call the following week and scheduled the pick-up.

I didn't try her suggestion because I didn't see a point in trying to make a more expensive bed work, when I had a brand new less expensive bed that worked perfectly now.

The same guys who delivered the bed came to pick it up (very courteous gentlemen) and left a confirmation of their pick-up. The whole return process was pretty hassle free, I guess the $159 was worth the chance to compare.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Both of these product are very good and of high quality, but they are slightly different. I suspect, given more time, the Tempurpedic may have become more comfortable. I think though that the porosity of the material does make a difference in how much body heat the bed retains since I do not have the same "too warm" feeling during the night on the Bergad. For me (andmy husband too) the Bergad is the more comfortable of the two and from a cost perspective, it is definitely a better value.

Classic Brands Deluxe 8 in. Memory Foam Mattress Multicolor - 411113-1150, Queen

Shop for Mattresses from Hayneedle.com! Wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day with the Classic Brands Deluxe 8 in. Memory Foam Mattre...
Hayneedle

Queen Memory Foam Mattress: Eco-Lux Memory Foam Mattress - 6

Queen Memory Foam Mattress: Eco-Lux Memory Foam Mattress - 6

Find mattresses at Target.com! The 6 thick eco dream 600 mattress is filled with memory foam to offer plush support and comfort. Memory foam adjusts t...

Signature Sleep Signature Pillow Top 13 Coil Mattress Only, Multiple Sizes White Full

Signature 13 inch by Signature Sleep is the ultimate quality mattress, offering you all the elements of luxury necessary for unparalleled comfort and ...

Classic Brands Deluxe 8 in. Memory Foam Mattress Multicolor - 411113-1150

Classic Brands Deluxe 8 in. Memory Foam Mattress Multicolor - 411113-1150

Hayneedle

Signature Sleep Contour 8 Mattress 5436096

Signature Sleep Contour 8 Mattress 5436096

Signature Sleep 5436096 Features: -Premium quilted jacquard cover.-Size: Full.-Mattress is shipped compressed, rolled and vacuum sealed.-Warranty: 1 Y...
Wayfair

Sleep Sync 6 inch Twin size Memory Foam Mattress

Sleep Sync 6 inch Twin size Memory Foam Mattress

Transform sleep into an experience with the twin-size memory foam mattress. The 6-inch thick Sleep Sync mattress promotes air flow and relieves pressu...
Overstock.com

CKing Memory Foam Mattress: Eco-Lux Memory Foam Mattress - 6

CKing Memory Foam Mattress: Eco-Lux Memory Foam Mattress - 6

Find mattresses at Target.com! Eco-lux memory foam mattress - 6

Signature Sleep Contour 8 Independently-Encased Coil Mattress Only, Multiple Sizes Off white Twin

The Contour 8 mattress by Signature Sleep holds true to its name, as it is designed to satisfy the need for contoured support of your vertebrae while ...

Mattress Firm Direct Pike Firm: Full

Mattress Firm Direct Pike Firm: Full

Mattress - - Full: Comfort Type - Firm Support Layer- 5 1.5 LB 40 ILD Foam Core Comfort Layers- FR Fiber 1/2 Firm Foam Covering- Damask Fabric Box S...