Bertazzoni X30 4 GGV X Gas Range

Nice range but some aggravations

Nov 28, 2011
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Fast heating, nice looking, solid, powerful convection, sturdy shelves, heavy duty burners

Cons:Poor thermometer, cheap leg attachments, hard to assemble, poorly written  installation manual.

The Bottom Line: Overall I would recommend this range. It performs well and seems well built, with a few exceptions, but beware of the difficult installation and cheap leg attachments.

Just installed my new Bertazzoni X304GGVXS/2 range delivered today from Home depot.  Wanted a professional range and loved the look.  It does look very nice, heats really fast and seems powerful and solidly built. Love the sleek professional appearance and am overall satisfied with the quality and operation and would recommend the model, but beware.

The display models they had available did not have the "thermometer" but given that this was a manual control range with the control in 25 degree increments we thought we would splurge and spend the extra $500 (yes five hundred dollars) for the round face analog thermometer.  Their catalog pictures showed the "thermometer," and I use that term loosely now, from afar so you couldn't see what it actually looked like up close.  Being a "thermometer" we assumed it would actually have degrees so we could fine-tune the oven to an exact temperature.  MISTAKE.  The "thermometer" is actually a lot like an easy-bake oven or back-yard grill in that it has 3 sections - "Preheat," "Medium," and "Hot." No numbers anywhere.  Say what?!  I spent $500 for a preheat-medium-hot indicator?  What exactly do those terms mean anyway?  We had the oven at 500 degrees (at least that's what the control was set on - who knows the actual temperature) for 30 minutes as recommended for the first time, and even then the "thermometer" was only in the middle of the "Hot" range.  So I am curious to see what normal baking termperatures read - probably meduim?  Save your $500 on the thermometer option, as it isn't a thermometer, and buy a $5 oven thermometer from Walmart like I will now have to do.

The other aggravation is having to put the thing together when it arrives.  I can see maybe putting on the legs since they could be damaged in shipping - then again with proper packing they really could be pre-installed. The legs are cheap - basically steel tubes with plastic screws in the top that screw onto plastic holders on the range bottom. The levelers are also plastic screws inside plastic threads.  Good thing they send 4 extra plastic bottom pieces as I can't see those lasting over time with all that heat down there.

Then the raised back panel first has to be taken apart from the box, then put on in pieces from underneath from some blind-spot holes with screws that haven't been started yet, so lots of torque is required to tap the holes and some dexterity and lying on the floor is required to get it all together correctly.

The gas line connections come in several pieces - adapters, plugs,  regulator, etc which all have to be assembled, torqued with wrenches and joint compound, and then leak tested before you can actually connect the gas line (also not included).  You would think all those joints, the regulator, and adapters could be factory installed and leak tested beforehand like most cheap ranges already come.

The instruction/installation manual is written in very poor English so really you spend a lot of time just trying to figure out what they are talking about - and forget the grammar.  Perhaps the other language sections of the manual are better written?

Last, the whole thing is wrapped in this protective "laser" film that is very difficult to remove and apparently was put on before they put the burner screws in because even after you remove all the film there are pieces of it stuck under all the screws on the cook top that can't be removed unless you undo all the burner screws and use tweezers.  I am glad the stainless comes protected by the film, but seriously, film underneath the factory installed screws?

For $3000 I would like to think they could assemble the whole thing so all I would have to do is connect it and turn it on.  A $200 Roper comes ready to go.

So all in all I am satisfied, but for the price these are some things to be aware of.

Amount Paid (US$): $2950

Bertazzoni 30 Inch Professional Series Microwave Oven MO30STANE

Bertazzoni 30 Inch Professional Series Microwave Oven MO30STANE

A 2 cubic-foot microwave oven with 10 power levels and controls that include pre-set cooking modes, cooking timer and sensor controls for reheat, defr...
VintageTub.com

Bertazzoni MO30STANE Design Series 2.0 cu. ft. Builtin Microwave Oven with 1,100 Cooking Watts MO30STANE

BERTAZZONI cooking products originate in EmiliaRomagna, a region worldfamous for its food. Precisionengineered to the highest specifications by the Be...
HomeClick

Bertazzoni KO30PROX Design Series 1.5 cu. ft. OvertheRange Microwave Oven with 300 CFM Venting System KO30PROX

Styled to match with Bertazzoni builtin Design Series and Professional Series, it is finished in stainless steel with a black glass door. The oven has...
HomeClick

Bertazzoni Trim Kit accessory for Built In Installations FR30PROB

Bertazzoni Trim Kit accessory for Built In Installations FR30PROB

Bertazzoni Trim Kit accessory for Built-in installations of the MO30STANE Professional Series Microwave oven. FR30PROB.
VintageTub.com

KO30 PRO X Design Series  30 1.5 Cu. Ft Capacity  1000 Watt Over-the-Range Microwave

KO30 PRO X Design Series 30 1.5 Cu. Ft Capacity 1000 Watt Over-the-Range Microwave

This15 cubic-foot microwave is cleverly designed to be located above the cooktop or range saving countertop space and acting as a ventilation hood as ...
AppliancesConnection