Best Western Atlantic Beach Resort Reviews

Best Western Atlantic Beach Resort

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Clean Ocean front/boardwalk location;and you can get to and from Miami Airport for under $6.00!

Sep 10, 2010 (Updated Sep 11, 2010)

Pros:Convenient beachfront location. Well maintained Clean Rooms, friendly staff, strong air conditioning.

Cons:Pool is very small for a resort this size. Otherwise no complaints.

The Bottom Line: Convenient location, not far from South Beach, cheap transportation to Miami International Airport out front. A basic reasonably priced oceanfront hotel with excellent air conditioning and clean.

I've always wanted to stay at this hotel. The Best Western Atlantic Beach Resort opened in the mid to late 1950's. Originally The Lucerne it was from Miami Beach's previous heyday. Within the past five years The Lucerne became a Marriott Fairfield. A couple years ago, it became a Best Western. I believe this small to medium sized mid-rise hotel was designed by famed "MIMO" architecht Morris Lapidus. Lapidus designed the famous Fountainbleau and it's neighbor the Eden Roc. Lapidus developed several other hotels both large and small during the 1950's.
The Best Western AB is located at 4101 Collins Avenue which is considered "Mid-Beach." You are about one to two miles up from the hustle and bustle of South Beach. What sold me on its location was the fact that is is right at the end of the Julia Tuttle Causeway which leads you straight into Miami International Airport. The Metro Dade 150 "Airport Flyer" is literally outside this hotel's front door. It runs every thirty minutes with only one stop between the hotel and MIA! And, it costs $2.35! If you want to cab it, you pony up at least $32!
I just returned from a fantastic 4 nite cruise aboard the Carnival Imagination and wanted to get another day on the beach.
The young lady manning the front desk was very friendly and smiled. She gave me a decent rate as I'm an airline employee. Normally check in isn't until 1600 hours but, she had a room ready for me and I was checked in by 1200 hours! Room was 405 is a standard twin double bed room facing North. I was not there for the view so facing a 1960's era apartment building was no big deal. If I crained my neck hard to the left I could see a bit of Collins Ave. Turn my head to the right and I got a glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean. The hotel is right on the beach and there is a boardwalk that runs paralell to Collins Avene from South Beach at least to the Fountainbleau.

Room 405 rated 5 stars. Actually rooms numbered 400 and higher are one flight up from the lobby. Rareities for moderate priced lodging in Miami Beach; strong individually controlled air condtioning that actually works! I like to keep my hotel room meat locker cold and was not dissapointed at the Best Western. The A/C is central with your own thermostat and three fan speeds and ran quiet on all three speeds. My bathroom was also comfortable; as it was linked into the HVAC system! Another rarity, fully carpeted rooms and hallways and the rugs were CLEAN! Many hotels in tropical climes are dispensing of their carpeting in favor of tile floors. This works in theory if the hotel keeps their floors up to date and clean. But, many don't do it. The TV was a conventional 27" RCA CRT that looked several years old with an average picture but, whats the point of cacooning in your hotel room with the beauty of Miami Beach at your fingertips? Cleanliness: 5 stars....Lobby, hallways, elevators, rooms and even the pool area were sparkling clean and smelled nice the way a hotel should. All these areas looked fresh bright and up to date. It looks like they keep on top of basic maintenance like painting.

For a property this size and in such a popular location the pool, though clean and well maintained was tinier than the pool at my apartment complex in Baltimore. When I was there I was the only one using the pool but, I imagine during busy times this pool would be claustraphobic and too crowded. I swim for my workouts and the pool is an important criteria. BTW, the beach was wide clean and inviting. I took advantage and enjoyed it immensly.

I did not have any dealings with the hotel's food and beverage operations so, I couldn't tell you about them. Getting back to my room, housekeeping did wonders with the way they displayed and arranged the towells. I had at least four thick bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths. My bed was extremely comfortable and sleep quality was excellent. I recommend the Best Western Atlantic Beach Resort for its close proximity to South Beach and the convenient and cheap #150 Metrodade Airport Flyer out front. I did not have a car and feel at least during the daylight hours getting around is easy and cheap. Within a five minute walk is a 24 hour Walgreens and a new kosher deli/restaurant that serves very good food. As I said the best of many worlds: location, price, courteous helpful staff, cleanliness and air conditioning that easily keeps up with the tropical sultry Miami Beach heat and humidity!