Best Western PLUS Port Columbus Hotel Reviews

Best Western PLUS Port Columbus Hotel

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Oct 6, 2011

Pros:convenient, well appointed, friendly staff, reasonable rates

Cons:none for me

The Bottom Line:

"and now, a year since we met
my Best Western beauty I just can't forget"
~Savoy

Generally I don't make the trip to Ohio by myself anymore but some unsettling information came up and Diane wasn't able to accompany me so off I went.   Traveling alone can be daunting, even when you are returning to your birth home, and locating a safe and secure sleeping arrangement even more so.   That is why I settled on the Best Western PLUS Port Columbus Hotel for my nights sleep.   Even though this is at the airport, I still felt it was a safe environment because all the hotels in this particular area cater to the business world, their clients, and meetings, etc.    Although there are several in the area, Best Western was the first one I came to when I exited the freeway and I was exhausted after that lengthy drive, so they won.

Check in/out:
Although I had no reservation, the check in process was quick and efficient.   Check out was equally painless.   Check in time is 3 pm, check out 12 noon.   Counter personnel were pleasant and helpful.

Services and Amenities:
There is a small business center located in an alcove off the lobby.   It had all the requirements; 3 computer stations, fax, printer.   Free Hi Speed wireless service is available in both the business center and your personal room.   I had no reason to visit the business center so I cannot attest to the reliability of the equipment there.

Another room I had no desire to use was the exercise room.    However I did stick my head in to check it out.   It had free weights, stairmaster, and some other tortuous looking device.   Located in this room was a TV and fresh water supplies.   Since I did not use the equipment, I cannot testify to how it operated.   In my three days at the hotel, passing by it several times a day, I never saw one person using any of the equipment.

Off the lobby is a small sundries shop.   It carried various food items and drinks.   I did utilize this shop and bought some frozen food item that I could heat up in the microwave in my room.   After an 8 hour drive and then spending 6 hours after that involved with police, falsified documents, and evicting a family from my mothers house, I had no will power or stamina to go out to find anything decent to eat.

Another area I was deeply committed to was the indoor pool/spa area.   This is located off the main lobby, accessed by your room card.   The pool was actually quite large for a hotel indoor pool but most peoples version of heated is quite different from mine.   The spa, however, was decidedly delicious and just what I needed after a trying day or two.   The pool area had two large umbrella tables [umbrellas?  indoors?  boggles the mind] as well as ample lounges and chairs scattered about.   Towels are furnished in the pool room.  It is an unsupervised area, they ask that no one swims alone but don't seem to enforce it.   Hours are 8 am - 10 pm.

Also available is a guest laundry, pay as you go, free local calls, 24 hour coffee/tea in lobby, free USA today, meeting rooms with catering available and complimentary breakfast.   This is a hot breakfast, served off to the side of the lobby, with adequate seating and your choice of what you want to eat.    We aren't talking Eggs Benedict or anything, but waffles, eggs, breakfast meats, toast, hot and cold cereals, various juices and fruits as well as pastries.

Standard guest room:
I had the basic room, there are three types available.   Mine had king-size bed with pillowtop mattress, plenty of pillows, and the bedding smelled fresh and clean without an overwhelming bleach stench like I've found in other hotels.   In addition to a large L-shaped desk area with an extremely comfortable chair, I had a roomy overstuffed chair with footstool, several side tables scattered about, and a large dresser/TV stand which also housed a mini-fridge and regular size microwave oven.

The bathroom was compact but adequate in size.  Plenty of toweling available and an outstanding shower experience w/heat lamp.   I've never seen so many adjustments on a showerhead and I worked in the plumbing business for several years.  Toiletries were supplied but I did not use them since I bring my own.   The sink area is outside the bathroom in an alcove next to the closet.   It is a large area with a generous counter, large mirror, and hair dryer.   Coffee/tea supplies are located on a shelf in this area.   Ironing board & iron are in the closet, a safe is on a shelf under one of the night stands.

The TV was smaller, probably 26" and not flat screen.  It did have a large number of channels available and a decent picture.   A game station is hooked to the TV for those that are jonesing for their favorite game.

General hotel info:
This is a three story hotel with 331 rooms.   The other room selections are two queen beds or king bed with whirlpool tub.   One downfall of the hotel is no eating on site other than the breakfast or what you can purchase in the sundries shop.   It is close to several fast food places for a quick snack and really close to the interstate so you can travel to a regular restaurant for a full meal.   They do offer what they call "Order Inn" which is a room service type of system from local eating establishments.   It covers every type of food you can think of, the prices are very reasonable but you must have an order of know about delivery time, quality of foods, or any delivery charges.

The hotel overall was very clean and well kept.   Furnishings throughout the hotel and my room were comfortable, well made and showed no signs of wear and tear.   Sofas and comfortable chairs are spaced throughout the floors in nooks and crannies where you could relax outside the confines of your room.   Soft drink machines and ice machines are on the first and third floors, just off the elevator.   There is only one elevator to serve the entire hotel, used by patrons and staff alike.   It is quite slow and the wait could be a while during peak hours.  I understand they have a managers meet-n-great sometime in the early evening but I saw no sign posted about it and never saw it happening despite the fact I passed through the lobby several times through the day and night.

This must be a popular hotel for meetings, although I only saw one large meeting room.   It was populated day and night by several different groups but their presence in the hotel was not intrusive.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and was pleased I made the choice.   The price was reasonable at $109 a night, considering all I got, the size of the room, the great breakfasts, and that outstanding spa.   I'd stay here again and would recommend it to anyone traveling through the area.

thanks,