Betty Crocker Helper Complete Meals, Fried Rice with Chicken Reviews

Betty Crocker Helper Complete Meals, Fried Rice with Chicken

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Betty Crocker Helper Complete Meals, Fried Rice w/Chicken

May 28, 2011 (Updated May 28, 2011)

Pros:Easy preparation, tastes good, chicken is tender, asian seasoning, just add oil and enjoy

Cons:High in sodium and carbs

The Bottom Line: A savory meal with broth, chicken vegetables and Asian style seasoning that's quick and easy to prepare when you're in a hurry.  Tastes delicious.

On my last shopping trip to Walmart I was looking for something that would be quick and easy to fix when I've been busy all day and just don't want to take the time to fix a meal.  I came across Betty Crocker's Complete Meals, the fried rice with chicken which makes 4 servings.  Net Weight: 25.3 oz (1 lb 3 oz)

The picture on the box of the meal looked delicious.  Sometimes this can be deceiving but you never know if you never try.  There was chicken, rice, peas and carrots all looking good enough to tempt my taste buds so the box landed in my shopping cart and I could hardly wait to dig in!

Ingredients:
Savory broth with white chicken meat and vegetables: Chicken broth, cooked white chicken meat (with chicken meat, water, modifyied food starch, isolated soy protein, salt, sodium phosphate), carrots, sweet peas, modified corn starch, salt, sugar.  Enriched white rice (rice, iron, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid).  Asian-style seasoning blend: Natural and artificial flavor, hydrolyzed vegetable protein (corn, soy, wheat), salt, sugar, color (caramel, yellows 5 & 6, yellow lakes 5 & 6), brown sugar, monosodium glutamate, spice, sesame oil, yeast extract, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, tocopherol (preservative), nonfat milk.

Contains soy, sesame, wheat and milk; may contain egg ingredients.

Nutrition Facts
Dietary Fibe 1g
Sugars 2g
Protein 7g

How to prepare:
I followed the directions on the box which said to preheat oven to 450 degrees, pour the can of broth into an ungreased 8-inch square glass baking dish.  Stir in the packet of seasoning and blend well.  Then I added 1/3 cup of water, 1 tablespoon oil and packet of uncooked rice.  Cover the pan with foil and bake 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.  Carefully remove foil, let stand uncovered 5 minutes and refrigerate any leftovers.

It took my oven longer to preheat than it did to prepare the meal.  My husband isn't a big fan of rice but he really loved this and we wound up eating the whole meal so there were no left overs.  I had also boiled some small red new potatoes in case this was another one of my messes so we had a few potatoes with our meal too.  There are some cooks who add a bit of this or a bit of that when preparing meals from the box or just preparing meals in general.  I wouldn't know what to add so I always follow the directions.

Sometimes you'll get tips on things you can add or try but I ignore them because if they're not part of the original recipe, they don't belong.  The good Lord knows I have to follow the original recipe or I'm lost.  It's akin to coloring outside the box, something I abhor.  Maybe this is why I'm not a good or original cook.

However, there was a tip about adding scrambled eggs to the fried rice and you may want to try it. The sodium count is high so this is something to keep in mind.

You can also fix this on the stove in a pan but I haven't tried that way.  The directions are really easy and you have a meal in about 25 minutes.

There's also directions on cooking it in your microwave so there's three alternatives on preparing this meal.

If you have a larger family and need to use two boxes, use a larger glass baking dish, 2/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and bake 40-45 minutes.  I'm planning on using this method the next time one of my kids come for a visit.

It's recommended not to use shiny metal pans.

For a quick and easy meal, give Betty Crocker's Helper Complete Meal a try.  I think you'll like it just as my husband and I did.

Recommended?  Yes

Distributed by
General Mills Sales, Inc
Minneapolis, MN 55440  USA

ddustyrose May 28, 2011

I'm entering this in the Made in the USA Write-Off and double dipping in texas_swede's Celebrate America Write-Off

Thank you John (bruguru) for adding this to the data base for me.

Mrs. B's Jumbo Biscuits
McCormick's Slow Cookers Hearty Beef Stew

McCormick's Savory Pot Roast

Betty Crocker Tuna Helper Classic Creamy Broccoli

Betty Crocker Tuna Helper Classic Creamy Broccoli

Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Tuna Helper Classic Creamy Broccoli Flavor 6.4 Oz Expires 4/13 or later Brand new & sealed
Betty Crocker Hamburger Classic Asian Chicken Tuna Italian Helper Pick One

Betty Crocker Hamburger Classic Asian Chicken Tuna Italian Helper Pick One

Always Fresh and Factory Sealed!Betty Crocker Hamburger / Asian / Chicken / Tuna Helper Flavor: See Choices Below Size: One Box ~*~ This listing is fo...

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta 5.6 oz

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta 5.6 oz

Find prepared appetizers, meals and sides at Target.com! Betty crocker hamburger helper beef pasta 5.6 oz

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Lasagna 6.4 oz

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Lasagna 6.4 oz

Find prepared appetizers, meals and sides at Target.com! Betty crocker hamburger helper lasagna 6.4 oz

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Classic Beef Pasta

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Classic Beef Pasta

Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Hamburger Helper Classic Beef Pasta Flavor 5.6 Oz Brand New & sealed Expires 4/13 or later
Betty Crocker Popcorn Maker, Red

Betty Crocker Popcorn Maker, Red

This Betty Crocker Popcorn Maker is a great choice for people who want to make popcorn in the comfort of their own home. It pops up to 12 cups of popc...

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Classic Stroganoff

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Classic Stroganoff

Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Hamburger Helper Classic Stroganoff Flavor 5.6 Oz Brand New sealed This item is to be ship...
Betty Crocker Cupcake Maker BC-2930CRT

Betty Crocker Cupcake Maker BC-2930CRT

Betty Crocker BC-2930CRT When you just can't wait for cupcakes, this cupcake maker will allow you to bake 7 mini cupcakes, muffins or brownies in min...
Wayfair

Betty Crocker Welch's Great Value Fruity Chewy Snacks Pick One

Betty Crocker Welch's Great Value Fruity Chewy Snacks Pick One

Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks Flavor: See Choices Below Size: One Box This listing is for one box of Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks in the flavor of your cho...

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Italian Lasagna

Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper Italian Lasagna

Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Little Bits of Lots Hamburger Helper Italian Lasagna Flavor 6.4 Oz Brand New sealed This item is to be shipped...