Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Sculpt

Don't be a big loser. Sculpt those muscles with the cast of Biggest Loser.

Aug 6, 2008 (Updated Aug 6, 2008)

Pros:Good workout, three levels, effective, lots of room to grow

Cons:No designated modifier. They don't want you to modify!

The Bottom Line: If you want muscle definition, you have to lift weights. The cast of "The Biggest Loser" teaches three levels of sculpting that will get anyone in shape.

I have only watched the show "The Biggest Loser" a handful of times and am not familiar with the contestants or the instructors but I wanted a good sculpting DVD and figured Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Sculpt would have to be good since it is a popular TV show and the contestants do get results.

I like this workout and think I made a good choice for now.

About the DVD

This DVD was released in December, 2007 and features instructors Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, and Kim Lyons from the show.

The exercisers apparently are all former contestants. They are all overweight but manage to keep up.

This DVD has three levels. The first is 20 minutes long. The second adds 10 more minutes onto the 20 and the third adds another 10 minutes onto that. The workout increases in intensity as you go up levels.

The entire workout with all three levels is 50 minutes including a warm up and cool down. You can program your workout for just level one, levels one and two, or all three levels. I believe you can also skip right to a higher level and just do the shorter workout if you are low on time and are more advanced.

You are instructed to use three to ten pound weights and raise the amount when the whole workout feels easy to you and no longer gives you a challenge.

The Workout

The workout is set in a standard hardwood floored room with the logo to the show all over the place. The three introduce themselves and explain the levels and such and then it's time for the warm up.

Jillian plays the biggest part on this DVD. She warms us up with a good stretching routine and then it's time to pick up the weights.

The first level is taught by Jillian. Many have said she is mean but I don't think she is. She does pick on one very overweight lady throughout but it seems to be all in good fun.

The workout incorporates weights and uses mostly traditional weight lifting moves for the arms, legs, chest, and abs. The push ups are KILLER but I hate push ups and am still working on getting them right.

The pace is fast but not so much so that you lose form. Jillian does not lift weights but walks around showing people the proper form and pushing them to keep going.

You will get your heart rate up but this is not a true cardio workout.

After the 20 minutes are up, you will go to the cool down or, if you programmed level two, you'll go right to to it.

Level two is taught by Kim. The intensity of level is really a step up from level one. You continue to use the weights but you do more complex work and more reps. It's tough!

If you programmed level three, Bob will come on and almost kill you for the next 10 minutes. I was doing fine until level three. Then I was screaming and swearing, which means I have finally met my match and am diving into the deep end.

The final level is a really tough 10 minute set that will set your muscles on fire. The poor people doing the workout look like they're about to die and I'm sure I do too!

The cool down is taught by Jillian and is a series of stretches and such to counteract the tough work we just did.

Level 1 - 30 minutes including warm up and cool down
Level2 - 40 minutes minutes including warm up and cool down
Level 3 - 50 minutes including warm up and cool down

My Thoughts

Those who have lifted weights for a long time probably won't be too challenged by this workout. Beginners and intermediates will find that it is a very good, well rounded workout that hits all their trouble spots and pushes them to go further than they thought they could.

I was impressed watching the overweight people working so hard and embarrassed that I was struggling somewhat during level two and almost quit during level three. Watching woefully out of shape people work their butts off is a great motivator to stay in the game.

All the instructors are good. They each have their own personalities but all come across as really wanting you to hang in there and reap the benefits of sculpting your muscles.

I actually enjoyed this workout more than I expected to. I had heard how tough Jillian was and wasn't looking forward to working out to her instruction but she was fine. She came across as friendly and very knowledgeable but NOT all bubbly like some instructors that go overboard. Kim and Bob are both good too. I think I will pick up the Biggest Loser Cardio Workout now after seeing how Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Sculpt is taught.

Conclusion

Will you get ripped and toned if you do this workout? If you challenge yourself with the heaviest weights you can use without straining and you put your all into it, sure. Your muscles will become toned and tightened and will start to show definition. Eventually, you will see the results of your hard work. I don't think this workout alone will get you the body you probably want but it sure will help!

Women and men can workout to this video and all will be challenged. If you're not after doing all three levels then you obviously don't need a DVD to help you to workout! I feel it in my arms and abs the next day.

I like this workout and give it 4 stars. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I am pleasantly surprised.

Viewing Format: DVD

Biggest Loser Workout Power Sculpt 6 Week Workout For Maxium Weight Loss

Biggest Loser Workout Power Sculpt 6 Week Workout For Maxium Weight Loss

Powered by Frooition Pro Team Sports Exercise Apparel Footwear Golf Outdoors Home Garden Clearance in titles description Shop By Category Enlarged Ima...

Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Walk DVD

Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Walk DVD

Bob Harper leads viewers through this intense workout surrounded by various members of the BIGGEST LOSER cast who used Harper's own moves to lose dram...
Family Video

Biggest Loser The Workout: Power Walk (dvd, 2010, Canadian)

Biggest Loser The Workout: Power Walk (dvd, 2010, Canadian)

Bob Harper leads viewers through this intense workout, surrounded by various members of the BIGGEST LOSER cast who used Harper's own moves to lose dra...

Biggest Loser Workout: Power Sculpt Dvd Region 1, Ntsc

Biggest Loser Workout: Power Sculpt Dvd Region 1, Ntsc

Television's most popular trainers prove viewers can achieve the same results as THE BIGGEST LOSER contestants by doing these three different cardio w...

Biggest Loser: The Workout - 30-Day Power X-Train DVD

Biggest Loser: The Workout - 30-Day Power X-Train DVD

Trainers Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince of NBC's THE BIGGEST LOSER provide an intense workout that combines cross-training and core movements to exerci...

Biggest Loser Workout 1 Dvd

Biggest Loser Workout 1 Dvd

Powered by Frooition Pro FREE SHIPPING orders $49 and above (exclusions apply) Hot Buys Up To 50% Off Allergy Relief Blood Sugar Support Bone Support ...

VMK Biggest Loser The Workout Power Sculpt; DVD

VMK Biggest Loser The Workout Power Sculpt; DVD

Format: DVD. Release Date: 12/18/2007
Quill.com

BIGGEST LOSER:30-DAY POWER X-TRAIN

BIGGEST LOSER:30-DAY POWER X-TRAIN

Take it up a notch with the fat-burning moves in 30-DAY POWER X-TRAIN! Youve seen contestants drop pounds on NBCs hit series The Biggest Loser and now...
The Biggest Loser - The Workout - Power Walk Dvd

The Biggest Loser - The Workout - Power Walk Dvd

Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Ab Blast DVD

Biggest Loser: The Workout - Power Ab Blast DVD

Trainers Bob Harper and Dolvett Quince of NBC's THE BIGGEST LOSER offer an intense abdominal workout featuring standing ab exercises in addition to co...