BioBolt X2 Biometric Fingerprint Deadbolt Reviews

BioBolt X2 Biometric Fingerprint Deadbolt

ratings (5 Epinions reviews)

Hooray! No more fumbling for keys!

Nov 1, 2010 (Updated Nov 2, 2010)

Pros:Solid construction, easy to use, three ways to unlock door! ANSI rated (means solid lock)!

Cons:Installation is not tough, but you have to line up the lock correctly!

The Bottom Line: If you don't like putting down packages and scrambling for keys, or lose keys, this is the lock for you!

First two words you learn after being married?  "YES DEAR"! So my wife asked, (requested) an easier way to get into our house with a handful of grocery bags! She had to put the bags down, grab her keys, open the lock, push the door open and grab the grocery bags all over again!

So like any good, sensible husband of 35 years, I went on a quest. Either hire a butler, or find an easier way to open the door when your hands are full. I did some research and found this Biometric deadbolt lock.

The Biometric part simply means that this lock works with the scanning of a fingerprint! No keys to turn or combinations to enter. So instead of fumbling for a key now, all she does is lift the lid to access the scanner and put her finger on the lock.
Actually since this lock is in our garage, we leave the cover to the scanner up all the time, so she doesn't even have to lift it now! All she does now is hit the # sign put her finger in the scanner and open the door. Actually sounds more cumbersome than it really is.

It all started after I went to fingerprintdoorlocks.com. Some time ago I obtained a standard biometric door lock from them, but needed a deadbolt this time. Why argue with success, since I was happy with my previous purchase, so I got this one from the same company. I was somewhat afraid that I would be intimidated setting up such a sophisticated deadbolt lock, but to my surprise it was not difficult at all.

The first step of course was to remove the old deadbolt lock from the door, which was very easy to do. Since Epinions is meant to help you with your purchases and make intelligent buying decisions, I want to take you through set up and usage of the lock to determine if it is right for you!

First decision is easy, and that is choosing the color of the lock. Polished brass, antique brass or polished nickel. Next, you remove the old deadbolt lock which should not really be a problem. Some screwdrivers and pliers are all you need to neatly remove the old deadbolt assembly, and to install the new one.

One important fact you should be aware of before proceeding any further, is this lock only works on doors 1 3/8” to 2 ½” thick. If your door does not fit these dimensions, you are out of luck.

The lock comes with a fairly simple 13 page instruction manual. Only three pages involve actual installation of the lock, so it is not too involved. I will not go into the details about installation, since it will take too much space, and that is not why we are here. By the way, the lock comes with a cardboard template to make installation easier.

Assuming that the lock was installed, let me explain how it works. The lock can be unlocked using one of three different techniques. You can use a regular key, (comes with 4 keys), a combination or a fingerprint. Since we are familiar with a combination lock and a key lock, I’ll explain how the fingerprint system works.

The lock itself is a slick looking unit with a cover in the middle. Under the cover is the fingerprint scanner and the key pad for entering a combination. Below is a round cover cosmetically placed over the key slot. This cover can be removed with an included tool. By doing this I suppose the manufacturer feels you’ll only be using the fingerprint scanner or the keypad. This is the point I would be wondering how difficult would it be to set up and work the lock?

Under the protective cover is the fingerprint scanner. Without getting too boring, (I hope I haven’t hit that point as yet,) you enter a master 8 digit code with the keypad. Making it "short and sweet", you enter the code and the scanner lights up. Place a finger on the scanner and remove it when the scanner light turns off. The scanner will light up again to allow you to place the same finger on the scanner once again. If you hear a beep, you are done. The manufacturer recommends doing the same procedure with a different finger for the same person. Now the basic programming is complete. To open the door you lift up the protective cover, place your finger on the scanner and the deadbolt retracts, and that’s it!

When I was considering purchasing this lock I did a great deal of research. I was concerned about several issues and had multiple questions. Let me tell you the questions I was asking all the manufacturers, since you will probably have the same ones.

1-What happens to the memory in the lock if the batteries die?
A-The lock has a non-volatile memory, so the memory of the prints is not lost.

2-If I cut the finger or have a band aid on the finger I normally use, how do I get in?
A-That is why the manufacturer recommends scanning two different fingers, twice.

3-Do I always have to lift the cover to make the lock work? A-You can leave the cover up, hit the # sign and that will turn on the power, just like lifting the cover does.

4-How do I know if the batteries are getting weak?
A-Lock will sound a series of beeps to indicate low batteries.

5-How do I lock the deadbolt from outside?
A-To lock the door, just press the * button on the keypad.

Those are the questions and worries I had prior to purchasing the lock, so I hope this answers your questions as well.
 Is this lock worth the $250 or so it costs? Absolutely! It is easy to use, we don’t have to carry our keys all the time, and if we have to allow someone access to open the door, it is very easy.
I was told by a friend who is a locksmith to never purchase a cheap or inexpensive lock, as they are easier to break in to and will not adequately protect your home! He told me to make sure the lock I purchase is ANSI rated, which means it has been evaluated and meets quality standards!
I read that this lock uses the fastest most modern software to read fingerprints, and I believe it. The fingerprints are recognized quickly and we have had no problems at all with the lock.
A note I neglected to include earlier; This lock is switchable to work on both left hand swing and right hand swing doors, so you don't have to worry about purchasing a lock that won't work due to the positioning of your door!

Now my wife just presses the # key and puts her finger on the scanner and enters the house, and if she is happy, that means I am happy too!

Biometric Fingerprint Door Lock aegis - Deadbolt, Right Handed Installation

Biometric Fingerprint Door Lock aegis - Deadbolt, Right Handed Installation

Onlineleostore Store Biometric Fingerprint Door Lock Aegis - Deadbolt, Right Handed Installation Online Leo Store since 2002 Welcome to OnlineLeoStore...

Biometric Home Security Safe with Fingerprint Lock

Biometric Home Security Safe with Fingerprint Lock

The Barska Biometric Safe with Fingerprint Lock is compact, convenient and state of the art! It is a unique firearms and valuables lockbox with a tech...
Barska Biometric Fingerprint Safe Ax11224

Barska Biometric Fingerprint Safe Ax11224

Powered by Frooition Pro Why buy from UO? Fast n' Free Ground Shipping Unbeatable Prices Extensive Selection Excellent Service Barska Biometric Finger...

Polished Brass Biometric Fingerprint Deadbolt Door Lock Keyless Electronic Pb

Polished Brass Biometric Fingerprint Deadbolt Door Lock Keyless Electronic Pb

Polished Brass Biometric Fingerprint Deadbolt Door Lock Keyless Electronic PB NextBolt NX4-PB Secure-Mount The 2011 NextBolt NX4 is the latest biometr...

Barska Biometric Safe with Fingerprint Lock

Barska Biometric Safe with Fingerprint Lock

Holds up to 30 different users. Keep your valuables, guns or medicines away from the wrong hands with the Barska Biometric Safe opens at the touch of ...
NIC Law Enforcement Suppl

Biometric Security Fingerprint Lock Home Jewelry Gun Safe - AX11224

Biometric Security Fingerprint Lock Home Jewelry Gun Safe - AX11224

Biometric Fingerprint Wall Mount Safe Security Box Cash Gun Jewelry Lock - Black

New MTN Gearsmith TM Fingerprint Easy Programmable Biometric Hidden Wall Safe High Quality Biometric Wall Safe Great Product for Office, Restaurant, S...

Nx3 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

Nx3 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

SquareTrade AP6.0 NextBolt NX3 EZ-Mount Edition Edition Non-Handed Indoor/Outdoor Biometric Deadbolt Item Condition: Brand New Warranty: 12 Months Inc...

Nx4 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

Nx4 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

SquareTrade AP6.0 NextBolt NX4 Secure-Mount Edition Edition Non-Handed Indoor/Outdoor Biometric Deadbolt Item Condition: Brand New Warranty: 12 Months...

Nx5 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

Nx5 Electronic Biometric Fingerprint Keyless Door Lock Deadbolt Access Control

SquareTrade AP6.0 NextBolt NX5 High Security Edition Non-Handed Indoor/Outdoor Biometric Deadbolt Item Condition: Brand New Warranty: 12 Months Includ...