Woof, Woof! Biscuit is back, in Biscuit Finds a Friend

Jun 6, 2001

Pros:Entertaining story with simple sentences for the beginning reader.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: A light and entertaining story that will have your beginning reader reading it to you in no time.

The lovable puppy, Biscuit, is back in Biscuit Finds a Friend.

Written by Alyssa Satin Capucilli, in short, simple sentences for the beginning reader, it will be a book your child will love to have read to them at a young age and one that they will enjoy reading themselves when they learn to read. Pat Schories does a wonderful job with the bright, watercolor illustrations.

Biscuit Finds a Friend is a My First, I Can Read Book aimed at preschool and Kindergarten aged children who are just learning to read. The sentences are short and simple for the early reader and there are no difficult words. The pictures and text go together well enough together that your young reader can figure out most of the words by looking at the pictures.

The Story

The book opens with, Woof! Woof! What has Biscuit found? With this picture we see Biscuit running off from his owner because he sees something. On the next few pages, he runs past a ball and a bone and then we see what he finds, a little lost duck. Biscuit and his owner bring the little duck back to the pond and his family, and everyone is happy. While at the pond, we see Biscuit and his new friend playing happily throughout the rest of the pages until it is time to say goodbye.

My Thoughts

My now 8 year old son, got this book back when he was in Kindergarten, along with the original Biscuit book. He was just learning to read and needed a lot of help, but was able to pick up on the story rather quickly and was soon reading it to me. Now, I read this book often to my 2 year old and he just loves Biscuit.

Biscuit Finds a Friend is a cute little book that your child will enjoy, with lots of Woofs and Quacks throughout the story. Just about every page has Biscuit says Woof! Woof! or Woof! and the little duck saying Quack! or Quack! Quack! along with a simple sentence or two.

I think that Biscuit Finds a Friend would be a perfect addition to a beginning readers library, it's short, simple and entertaining, especially when Biscuit and the little duck are playing together.

Biscuit Finds a Friend is 32 pages from cover to cover and was written back in 1998. We got this paperback version from my sons school book fair for $2.50 back in early 1999, the price listed on the back of the book is $3.95.

Biscuit Finds A Friend ISBN 0-06-444243-8