Bissell 16N5 Reviews

Bissell 16N5

For mold allergy sufferers this is the vacuum for you! Bissell Healthy Home

Jun 2, 2010 (Updated Jun 3, 2010)

Pros:Ability to turn off beater brush and vacuum bare floors without spitting dirt around.

Cons:The weight but that might be what helps it clean so deeply into the carpet.

The Bottom Line: I would buy this vacuum again in a heart beat, and I highly recommend it!

I started looking for a new vacuum because my son is allergic to mold and I really wanted something that will remove the mold spores from the carpet instead of just stirring up the air and making him worse. After reading tons of reviews and researching and decided to go with this Bissell 16N5 Healthy Home vacuum.

Some of the features I was looking for was a bag less vacuum that featured the AireTight HEPA filter system that traps 100% dust mites, pollen, mold spores and 99.9% of pet dander. We have two cats and a dog so it’s nice to have people over who are allergic to animals and they don’t have a reaction. It also has Bissell’s new microban protection to prevent the growth of mold, mildew and odor causing bacteria. All very important when a child has a mold allergy. The filter is said to be permanent and never needs to be replaced.
One of my other main things was we have wood and tile floors through our upstairs with large area rugs. I wanted a vacuum that would do just as well on the wood floors as on the rugs. And not just fling the dirt at my toes. This vacuum has the feature needed to accomplish bare floor cleaning. And that is a bare floor setting with the ability to turn off the beater brush so it doesn’t fling the dirt around. It just sucks the dirt up. You can actually see the little dust bunnies sliding towards the vacuum, truly one of the best features of this vacuum. I used a Dyson once and that is the main thing I liked about Dyson, was the ability to self adjust from carpet to bare floor and you’d actually hear the suction on the bare floor. But I didn’t want a Dyson because of the higher price and the reviews weren’t as good. Besides the bare floor setting there are 6 others, I have a rather long shag rug and it goes high enough to accommodate that.

For the stairs and upholstery that is a Turbo Brush attachment. The brush spins by way of air sucking through it so if you press down it does stop spinning. But it does the job and makes picking up pet hair from furniture very easy. This of course is a tool that makes my kids want to vacuum all the time!

There’s a skinny crevice tool that I like baseboards, under & beside the fridge and getting little cobwebs from high up. There’s an upholstery/dusting brush that works really well to clean blinds, dust tops of shelves or tables without scratching them. That also works well on the baseboards because you can brush to get the dust loose.
This vacuum lays much flatter than mine and I’m able to get all the way under my kitchen table instead of having to go around and do the other half of the rug from the other side. It is a bit heavy so using the turbo brush on the stairs is needed but I am able to carry it around the house, up and down the stairs without too much effort and I’m 5ft 2in.

Now to the most important thing! I am just now not having to empty the dust cup while in the middle of vacuuming my house. The first few times I filled it up 3 or 4 times because of how well it was cleaning. I had sprinkled baking soda on the basement carpet last fall and have probably vacuumed 20 times down there with my old vacuum and was not picking up any baking soda. This Bissell was picking up TONS of baking soda that has to have been deep down in the carpet fibers. I was very impressed and truly feel like I’m giving my family a much cleaner home. Bottom line is I LOVE my new vacuum and show it off to everyone that comes to my house! If you want that clean home without chemicals this is a great place to start.

Other specs: 15 in wide cleaning path with large back wheels to make it corner and move really easily, soft bumper to protect wall and furniture, headlight, 5 year limited warrant and it weighs 30 pounds.

The Bissell Healthy Home Upright Vacuum cleaner features an AireTight HEPA filtration system that traps and seals in 100% of dust mites, pollen, ragwe...