Black & Decker 9099KC 7.2-Volt Cordless Drill with Keyless Chuck (028877326764) Reviews

Black & Decker 9099KC 7.2-Volt Cordless Drill with Keyless Chuck (028877326764)

Black & Decker 9000KC 7.2 Volt Cordless Drill- Good for Small Jobs

Dec 2, 2012

Pros:Cordless, handy for small projects.

Cons:Hard to tighten drill bits, not powerful enough for bigger jobs.

The Bottom Line: If you need a simple drill for occasional small jobs around the house, this will work.  If you do bigger jobs, look for a bigger drill.

My father and I have a variety of drills in our woodworking shop. One of the smaller units that we have is the  Black & Decker 9099KC 7.2-Volt Cordless Drill with Keyless Chuck.

The was one of the first models of cordless drills that we bought several years ago. Up until that point, we had used mainly corded drills. My Dad thought that he’d try out a smaller drill first to see if it was something he liked.

This drill is a really good starter if you don’t have any major construction needs. With 7.2 volts, it is more powerful than just a regular power screwdriver. This drill has two speeds, which are controlled by how hard you pull the trigger. Pull it partially and you get the slower speed (about 300 rpms). Pull the trigger all the way and you double the output. As with any drill it also has reverse just by pushing a button. It’s also rather lightweight, making it easy to use with one hand. My wife can use it easily as well. It’s keyless (3/8 inch chuck), making the switch of bits and tips a fairly easy process. Being cordless, its portable as well which is one of its greatest benefits. I like having a small drill in the shop to supplement my bigger ones. I’ve been in some tight spots before, and a bigger drill just won’t fit into the area. This one has come to the rescue.

The battery pack is sealed inside, so you just need to plug it up to charge. Unfortunately, with NiCad batteries, it will eventually run it’s course. We’ve had this on for several years, and you can tell that the battery doesn’t hold its charge for nearly as long. When it’s done, it’s done. No replacing any batteries.

This drill is handy to have around the house for small projects. In the shop, I like to use it for putting small screws in my work or drilling pilot holes. When my kids join me in the shop, this drill is their choice as well because of its smaller size. It works much better of softwoods rather than hardwoods. While you can get a hole drilled in thicker pieces, about ¾ inch thick wood is a reasonable limit. If you’re going to do any tough work, you would certainly want to go with a much bigger/powerful drill. I tried to drill a hole through a 4 x 4. It took forever and really drained the drill. Stick to the much smaller stock with this drill.

The keyless chuck is handy, but it also makes it a little tough getting drill bits tight enough. I’ve had many of them slip when trying to drill a hole. No bits are included with the drill.

All in all, this drill is a good buy for someone who doesn’t need to do any major work. It’s great to have around for occasional use.

The Black & Decker 9099KC drill provides you unmatched performance by letting you undertake assembly and repair functions for your furniture. Use the ...