Black & Decker BD12PSK 12-Volt Smart Select Drill (885911090919)

Black & Decker BD12PSK 12-Volt Smart Select Drill

Aug 2, 2010 (Updated Aug 2, 2010)

Pros:Smart Select clutch, automatically adjusts power and speed, keyless chuck, use on wood, metal, plastic

Cons:Rather heavy for me, not great on metal

The Bottom Line: With Smart Select technology and high torque you get great results.
Good, affordable drill for around the house that's easy to operate.  It's the right tool for the right job.

I've been using the Black & Decker Smart Select Drill around the house for around a year and have been, overall, very pleased with it.  I was involved in several home improvement projects and needed a cordless drill for some of those projects.  Naturally, my Lowes store has a variety to choose from and while there's not any particular reason I chose Black & Decker, I felt it would better serve my basic needs. A drill is a drill isn't it?  Well, maybe not, but when you have illustrations to guide you, that drill has an edge on the others.

Description:  SMART SELECT™ technology: select the application and the drill adjusts to optimal power and speed, 2-Speed gear box with variable-speed trigger for high-torque screw driving & high-speed drilling, High-torque motors delivers 150 In./Lbs, Keyless chuck allows quick & easy bit changes, Slide pack battery is easy to remove & install, Soft grips add comfort, Independently certified to meet applicable standards.

The Smart Select technology allows me to choose my project icon, thereby, permitting the drill to adjust its power and speed.  The icons are located on top of the drill behind the metal chuck and by twisting the clutch, you can choose which icon you want. The bit can be reversed from straight head to a Phillips head with the twist of your fingers.  You're less likely to strip your screw by correctly setting your drill (on your project).

My husband and I removed all doors inside the house and painted them (along with the rooms).  It was easier for me to loosen the  screws, and then tighten them, while he held the door.  Wall switches were replaced with ease.  A quick trigger pull and it was tight.  Much quicker than a hand held screw driver.  Don't throw your hand held away though!  If you have a trigger finger, I suggest you use your hand held over the cordless as the cordless has more (faster) power.

We replaced some hardware on a 6-drawer chest in just a matter of minutes.  I had to use my hand held screw driver on another chest as the hardware was in an awkward position.  Usually, your hardware is center of the drawer but not always.

New bi-fold closet doors were also installed.  Attaching the tracks were hardest.  They were overhead and the weight of the drill got rather heavy. The hinges and track hardware were no problem.

What about comfort?  I have arthritis in my hands so holding the drill for a couple of minutes (or longer) did get heavy and uncomfortable.  The plastic grip is comfortable. For me, it's holding the drill for a period of time that hurts my hands.  It weighs a little over 5 lbs.

As a homeowner and DIY'er a good drill is a must and I think the Black & Decker 12-Volt Smart Select is good.  I've used it on wood, thin metal and plastic and been very satisfied.  However, I've not used it on larger jobs so can't give an opinion as to how well it does.  The biggest job I've performed is using a bit to drill holes for screws.

The 12-Volt battery is rechargeable.  I have a spare which has saved me more than once as I'd forget to turn the drill off after using it.  I'd run out of power quickly the next time and would have to switch out the batteries.  Fully charge battery and disconnect from power.  I found out the hard way not to leave your battery charging for weeks.

I've used the drill for basic household light to medium projects and haven't been disappointed.  The more experienced DIY'er could give a more in-depth review as to its power on hanging sheet rock or building things.

Definitely recommended.

2-year warranty
www.blackanddecker.com

ddustyrose August 2, 2010

Black & Decker Bd12psk 12 Volt Smart Select 12v Cordless Drill Driver Kit

Black & Decker Bd12psk 12 Volt Smart Select 12v Cordless Drill Driver Kit

The Black & Decker BD12PSK 12V Cordless Drill is a perfect home improvement tool for DIY users and experienced wood workers. Thanks to its dual speed ...