Black & Decker Rechargeable 36V Mulching/Bagging Mower 18" (CM1836) Reviews

Black & Decker Rechargeable 36V Mulching/Bagging Mower 18" (CM1836)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Free Shipping CPO Black and Decker

Very light, good mower for small lawn

Jun 2, 2010

Pros:Lightweight, powerful enough, stores upright

Cons:May require multiple charges for large lawns, not self propelled

The Bottom Line: Lightweight and powerful enough.  Convenient storage.  A good buy.

Assembly is very simple.  Only the handle needs to be bolted on using the hand-nuts provided.  Then the unit must be charged overnight before the first use, for maximum battery effectiveness.  The handle folds up over the base and supports the mower stored upright, which saves a lot of space in the garage.
The mower is very light.  I was concerned because my last mower was a self-propelled gas mower, but this one is just as easy to push and maneuver because of the reduced weight.
The blade is also very light and provides a comforting 'whir', as it seems to spin faster than normal.  It cuts well and evenly and I have not been able to stall it out yet.
Disclaimer:  I have a pretty small yard (about 1/4 acre).  I have had no issues with battery life.  It makes it through the entire yard with no problems.  The mower should be plugged in when stored, though, so you may want to select a home near an outlet.
Safety-wise, I was a bit concerned about how hard it would be to start the mower, as we have children in the house.  Fortunately, a removable 'key' breaks the electrical connection between the mower and battery (in fact, the charger plugs into the same spot).  Even with the key, you need to push a button on the side prior to pulling the handle to get it to operate.  All good.

Black & Decker CM1836 Mower Blade Insulator - Genuine
Type Push Mowers Size of Yard 1/4 to 1/2 acre Cut Width (inches) 18
Newegg.com
The Black and Decker 18'' cordless mower provides the freedom of a gas mower with the convenience of an electric mower. This 36-volt mulching mower is...
Black & Decker CM1836. Features: Rechargeable 36V battery and highly efficient motor allow the user to mow up to 1/3 of an acre on a full charge. With...
36V Cordless 18 in. 3-in-1 Rechargeable Lawn Mower - CM1836. Charger. Safety Key. Rear Collection Bag. Mulching Plug
CPO Black and Decker