Black & Decker DWD110K 3/8 IN. VSR DRILL KIT 1 EA 4221917 (885911037518) Reviews

Black & Decker DWD110K 3/8 IN. VSR DRILL KIT 1 EA 4221917 (885911037518)

DeWalt drill model DWD110 7 amp variable speed reversible

Jul 14, 2010

Pros:Good power, variable speed motor, inexpensive, keyless chuck.

Cons:None that I've found.

The Bottom Line: Excellent price/performance ratio, good power, inexpensive, yet feels well built. I highly recommend it.

According to Harvard professor Theodore Levitt, people don’t want drills, they want holes. I understand his point, but when it comes to power tools, I have to disagree. People who enjoy working with their hands not only want holes, they want the experience of using a piece of powerful machinery to make a hole. The act brings satisfaction as well as functionality. And for those who want these experiences, the DeWalt DWD110 Variable Speed Reversible Heavy Duty Drill fills the need commendably.

Note that the Epinions title is incorrect with respect to the brand, but the picture and model number are correct.

I bought this drill on sale at Lowe’s for $49. I needed to replace my old, worn-out Black & Decker and was looking for something that was well-built and had plenty of power, but was inexpensive. This drill met all three conditions.

This is a heavy-duty, 3/8 inch drive, variable-speed, reversible, pistol-grip style drill. It has a cool-looking yellow and black colored hard plastic case with an eight foot power cord. It features a 7 amp motor that provides variable speeds from 0-2500 RPM. A bubble level on the top rear of the drill helps the user drill accurate vertical or horizontal holes. It has a keyless chuck, a hook on the top for hanging on a hook or for hooking onto a belt, and a switch in front of the trigger for reversing the direction of the drill. It weighs 4.1 lbs and comes in a durable plastic carrying case.

My daughter acts in productions at a local children’s theater. Parents supply the labor for building the sets. There is always a need for drills during this activity, and most of us bring our own. Because there is a lot of commotion and moving from place to place during set build, I considered buying a cordless drill, but while cordless drills offer convenience, they can’t match the power of a corded drill. On some sets, I’ve used my DeWalt to drill through thick-walled steel pipe, hard wood, and an occasional metal plate in addition to softer woods and metals. A cordless would not have been able to handle many of these jobs, not to mention the drawback of the battery not being able to last the long hours it takes to build a set.

In use, the drill feels nicely balanced and comfortable in your hand. On the back of the pistol grip is a wide strip of hard rubber which improves comfort and helps isolate vibration. In fact, very little vibration is felt, even when drilling through hard materials. At just over four pounds, though, it can start to feel a bit heavy after hours of use.

Controlling the speed is not difficult. Although the trigger pull is a bit strong, with a little practice it becomes natural. The bubble level works well both in the horizontal and vertical positions, helping the user to drill nice, straight holes. The motor direction switch is easy to get to and operate. There is no fumbling around to find it like on some models of drills. And for people like me who are used to having to use a chuck key to tighten drill bits, the keyless chuck is a joy to use. It tightens down smoothly and holds securely, but is easy to unscrew to remove the bit as well.

Although I sometimes use it for running screws into wood and drywall, this drill is not really meant for these tasks. It is sometimes hard to stop the screw at the point where it is just flush with the surface because of the power of the drill. It will continue to drive the screw deeply into the material if the use is not careful.

The DeWalt DWD110 Variable Speed Reversible heavy duty drill has been a welcome addition to my workshop. It provides plenty of power for most needs, and the variable speed motor allows tailoring the cutting speed to the type of material being drilled, as well as better control when driving screws. Overall, this drill has an excellent price/performance ratio. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive, yet well-made and powerful drill.

NOTE: This review also appears under the same author's name on Helium.com.

Stanley Black Decker DWD110K Dewalt 3 8 (10mm) VSR Pistol Grip Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck

Features: 8.0 Amp motor delivers high performance in heavy-duty applications 3 8 ratcheting keyless chuck for greater bit retention 0-2,500 RPM, VSR t...

Black & Decker Vsr Drill 1/2

The powerful 7 amp motor of the Black & Decker DR560 gives you an awesome performance every time. The variable speed of this Black & Decker corded dri...

Black & Decker DR560 7 Amp 1/2 in. VSR Drill-Driver

Black & Decker DR560 7 Amp 1/2 in. VSR Drill-Driver

7 Amp 1/2 in. VSR Drill-Driver - DR560. Chuck Key and Holder. Side Handle
CPO Black and Decker

Black & Decker 5.2 Amp 3/8 in. VSR Drill-Driver DR260B

5.2 Amp 3/8 in. VSR Drill-Driver - DR260B. Double-Ended Screwdriving Bit. Storage Bag
Tyler Tool

CPO Outlets

Black & Decker DR260B 5.2 Amp 3/8 in. VSR Drill-Driver

Black & Decker DR260B 5.2 Amp 3/8 in. VSR Drill-Driver

CPO Black and Decker

Black & Decker Vsr Drill 1/2

BLACK DECKER VSR DRILL *1/2 keyed chuck *High torque 7.0 AMP motor easily handles the toughest applications *Triple gear reduction delivers high torqu...
DeWALT DWD110K Heavy-Duty 3/8 VSR Pistol Grip Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck

DeWALT DWD110K Heavy-Duty 3/8 VSR Pistol Grip Drill Kit with Keyless Chuck

The DWD110K Features: 7.0 Amp motor delivers high performance in heavy-duty applications 3/8 ratcheting keyless chuck for greater bit retention 0-2,50...

Black & Decker Vsr Drill Driver 1/2 Keyed Chuck 7.0 Amp Power Tool Dr560