Black & Decker Electric Mulching Rear Bag Lawn Mower Mm850

Black & Decker MM850 - Beano of Mowers Makes the Cut

Jul 6, 2005 (Updated Jul 8, 2005)

Pros:Starts Instantly. No gas, no oil, no sparkplug. Cuts and mulches well.

Cons:That cord! Requires more passes than a larger mower or some women.Replacement blade cost.

The Bottom Line: This is a great mower for the smaller lawn as long as outlets are conveniently accessible. Mastering the cord takes some practice

No Gas

There are two acres spanning lovely, woodsy Spud Acres on a winding country road somewhere in Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay country. To maintain the lawndrified sections of the mostly wooded property I have two lawn mowers, a Craftsman gas model reviewed previously and an electric Black and Decker MM850. I don’t refer to the MM850 as electric because it rivets one’s attention with its stunning, sexy curves, but rather because it plugs into an electrical outlet like a blender or a shredder except with a longer cord. Therein lie its charming appeal and its one major negative - that long, sometimes unmanageable umbilical cord.

Why would someone with this much property even consider purchasing an electric lawnmower? I didn’t. If I would consider one, it would be a cordless model. The previous owner left this particular mower behind for me. Its clean appearance and lack of wear make it look like a mower that hasn’t been used very often.
I like this mower and am not sure if this is because it cost me nothing, performs well, or is just a novelty destined to jade with time.

Features and Description in Stream of Unconsciousness

The lawnmower comes completely assembled, even for the original owner. Only the grass bag needs assembly.
For compact storage the handle folds down over the body after loosening two knobs.

This mulching lawn mower features the Black and Decker one touch wheel height adjustment system. While grasping and squeezing the adjuster, one can raise or lower the mower to the desired height. Releasing the finger grip mechanism locks in the height adjustment. I really like this feature; much better than adjusting each wheel individually.

The curved, padded handle is very comfortable, one of the most comfortable handles I’ve ever experienced. The mower is turned on by pulling a lever out and towards the handle. This lever must be held against the handle to keep it running. Because of the ergonomic design, holding the lever in place is very easy and becomes second nature. Pulling the lever turns on the mower instantly; releasing it turns the mower off. It’s great not having to pull on a cord to start the engine.

A safety shield/mulch insert must be in place when the bag is not being used. This unit is inserted in an opening in the back of the mower. A hinged door in turn folds down over this insert. The shield, along with the rear, door minimizes the possibility of accidental foot contact with the blade. It also minimizes the throwing of stones or other objects by the mower blade backward from under the mower deck. This system works wonderfully.

The shield must be removed when using the grass catcher bag. I found it required a bit of effort to pull out. Putting it back it wasn’t as difficult a process.

My Experience

The mower is easy to push and to turn. It is a joy to use. Surprisingly it is a bit louder than I had expected. It’s quieter than my gas mower, but only by about 25%(very unscientific guess) or so. The quality of the cut was also a little disappointing, but changing the 19" blade remedied that significantly. This was the easiest blade change I’ve ever made on a mower. Blades for this model run about 20 dollars apiece if you can find one. A search on the internet serendipitously led me to a business that had some for four dollars each. I bought four of them. Sporting the new blade my Black & Decker MM850 does a more than acceptable cutting/mulching job ,leaving behind no messy clumps to be raked up later. In really challenging situations it lacks the power of the gas model, but it’s more than adequate on grass.

The grass catcher was easy to attach and holds a fair amount of mulchings. While mowing I wasn’t covered with blowing dust and didn’t have to wear a respirator and goggles. Removing the bag was a little troublesome but not terrible. Some type of handle would make removing the bag much easier.

With this mower there’s no spark plug to change, no oil to add or change, no dirty oil of which to dispose, no gas to buy or add. However, there is the one little detail of that long extension cord. We have multiple outlets in the back of the house but none in the front. Thus I’ll only be using this mower in the back near the house or on the sides. I haven’t run over the electrical cord yet, but there have been a couple close calls. One of my first mowers was also a Black & Decker electric and several extensions gave their lives for the cause. For my purposes this is a great mower to have for a change of pace or when I run out of gas. It’s cleaner and quieter than the Craftsman. Some of the grassy areas of Spud Acres are just too far from the house for this electric mower to be my primary lawn machine. I’d only recommend this for someone who dislikes the chore of maintaining a gas mower and has a more manageably sized yard.

Something else to keep in mind is that with an electric motor, the brushes will eventually have to be replaced. On my first electric mower I had that done twice but fortunately had a service center nearby. With this current electric I’m not sure where I would take it to get the brushes replaced. No Black and Decker service centers are anywhere near our present home.

Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 19-Inch 12 amp Electric Mulching Mower with Rear Bag

Product Information: A powerful electric motor and the ability to bag or mulch give the Black & Decker 19-Inch Lawn Hog Electric Mower the versatility...
Black & Decker 19 Electric Lawnhog Mulching Lawn Mower W/ Rear-bag - Mm875

Black & Decker 19 Electric Lawnhog Mulching Lawn Mower W/ Rear-bag - Mm875

Untitled 1 DeWALT |Funtime Popcorn |DuroMax Generators |Garden Radiance |MicroLux Appliances |iRobot |Our Store Model MM875 Condition NEW MSRP $ Warra...

Black And Decker MM875 Lawn Hog 19-Inch 12 amp Electric Mulching Mower with Rear Bag

Includes 19-in Electric LAWNHOG Mulching Mower with Rear-Bag - MM875R, Rear Bag Assembly, Rear Mulching Insert
Black & Decker CM1836 36V Cordless 18-in Mulching Rear-Bag Mower

Black & Decker CM1836 36V Cordless 18-in Mulching Rear-Bag Mower

Black & Decker CM1836. Features: Rechargeable 36V battery and highly efficient motor allow the user to mow up to 1/3 of an acre on a full charge. With...
BLACK & DECKER 12-Amp 18-in Corded Electric Push Lawn Mower with Mulching Capability MM1800

18 Lifetime 3-in-1 polymer deck mulches, rear bag (included), discharge chute, optional #242867-00. 12-amp motor for adequate power in all cutting mod...
Lowe's

Black & Decker 19'' Cordless Mulching Mower & 12-amp Blower/Vacuum Bundle

Black & Decker 19'' Cordless Mulching Mower & 12-amp Blower/Vacuum Bundle

Keep your lawn looking good with the Black & Decker Mulching Mower and Blower/Vacuum Bundle. You can work with the confidence that you have everything...

Black & Decker MM275 9 Amp 18 in. 3-in-1 Electric Lawn Mower

Black & Decker MM275 9 Amp 18 in. 3-in-1 Electric Lawn Mower

Mow and mulch with Black & Decker's 9-amp electric mulching mower.

Black & Decker Corded Electric Lawn Mower

Black & Decker Corded Electric Lawn Mower

Maintaining your lawn would have never been easier than with the Black & Decker 18'' Electric Mulching Rear Bag Lawn Mower. It features a lightweight ...

Black & Decker Corded Electric Lawn Mower - 1242-6003

Black & Decker Corded Electric Lawn Mower - 1242-6003

Shop for Lawn Mowers from Hayneedle.com! With a highly efficient 12 amp motor and a push button start, the Black & Decker Corded Electric Lawn Mower m...
Hayneedle

Black & Decker Cm1836 18 36v Rechargeable Mulching Mower

Black & Decker Cm1836 18 36v Rechargeable Mulching Mower

Black Decker CM1836 18 36V Rechargeable Mulching Mower Rechargeable 36V Sealed Lead Acid Battery for Trouble-Free Cutting of Up to 1/3 Acre Homesites ...