Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener EC75/EC85 Reviews

Black & Decker Spacemaker Can Opener EC75/EC85

Black & Decker Space Maker Can Opener

Mar 14, 2002 (Updated Sep 29, 2002)

Pros:Mounts Under A Cabinet, Removable Blade, Pierces Tall and Large Cans

Cons:Only comes in white

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Black and Decker Spacemaker Can Opener for those who want more space on their counter and need to open tall or large cans.

I had an Osterizer can opener that died after 10 years of heavy usage. The only thing I did not like about the Osterizer model that died was I had to bring it to the edge of the countertop in order to open tall cans including coffee cans. When I saw the Black and Decker Spacemaker Can Opener model #EC75 that mounted under the cabinet, I decided that it would solve the tall and large cans problem and free up space on the countertop. I have owned mine now for 1 1/2 years.

Mounting It: The unit comes with mounting spacers (a mounting guide to mark the holes), washers, and screws. However, you will need a drill to drill on the bottom of your cabinet for mounting. There are 4 holes at the top of the can opener to screw into the 4 holes that you will make in the bottom of your cabinet. The electrical cord is approximately 30 inches long. We located ours next to an electrical outlet and tie-wrapped the remaining portion of the cord. It took approximately 15 minutes to install. The screws inside of my cabinet do not get in the way of any items placed in the cabinet.

Operating It: Just lift up the lever and put the rim of the can under the locating post and push down on the lever. It automatically shuts off at the end of the process. The only time mine has shut off before completely opening the can is when there was a dent in the top of my can, so I had to help it along. The next time I saw a dent in the top of my cans, I just open the can at the bottom. If the can is really heavy, I would suggest holding the bottom of the can just in case it decided to drop (but I have always done this even with my Osterizer).

Cleaning: Lift the operating lever up and press down on the Blade Release Lever and pull the blade assembly away from the can opener. Wash the assembly by hand. Clean the can opener body with a cloth or sponge.

Opening Results: It opens my cans as well as my Osterizer did. It pierces well and completes the task in a timely manner. I have never had a can drop on my counter unattended but I do always keep my hand under a heavy can.

There is a 2-year warranty on this model.

I hope this review on this particular can opener was helpful as there isn't much you can say about a can opener that you don't know already!

Mountable, under the cabinet can opener