Black & Decker TRO390W toaster oven
Oct 28, 2007 (Updated Oct 28, 2007)
Review by faichick
Rated a Very Helpful Review
I bought my Black & Decker TRO390W toaster oven at Target and couldn't be happier with it. I was looking for a unit that was not too large, but was heavy duty enough to tackle backed potatoes, reheat pizza, warm up frozen snacks, and broil an occasional steak. I had hoped to stay under $50.
Recommend this product?
The toaster oven market is full of choices these days. They come in small and large; black, white, and chrome; two or four slice options; some have digital readouts; and some include convection heating. Prices range from a low end of about $20 to a high end of about $75.
I ultimately decided on the Black & Decker TRO390W for the following reasons:
1) I've had good experiences with other Black & Decker appliances in years past.
2) The TRO390W is not too large. Measuring 8.24H x 10.52D x 16.15W this toaster oven won't eat up all of your counter space, but is still big enough to handle four slices of toast or several slices of pizza.
3) It's able to toast, bake and broil. These are exactly the features I wanted -- no more, no less.
4) The bake / broil settings have a built in timer that shuts the unit off when the time has run out. This is an excellent safety feature.
5) The unit is white with chrome trim, and the body features rounded edges. It's a clean, sleek design.
6) The unit features an adjustable rack, and comes with a removable oven pan.
7) The pricetag was $39.99, slightly lower than other brands with similar features.
I've been using my Black & Decker TRO390W for about two months now and am really pleased with its capabilities. It broils steak perfectly and in short order, but without burning as some toaster ovens are prone to, due to the close distance between the rack and the heating element. It can handle baked potatoes in sets of two (three if they aren't too large), baking them as evenly as my oven does but without wasting so much energy. For frozen snacks like egg rolls, won tons, tater tots and the like, it cooks evenly and quickly. For toast it's got a light, medium, or dark setting. Set on medium, it toasts to a perfect golden brown.
The Black & Decker TRO390W does everything I wanted it to do, does it well and didn't break the bank.
I absolutely recommend this unit if your needs are similar to mine.
Update: In response to a question left in the comments section, I'm adding some information about cleaning this appliance.
First, the unit comes with a removable crumb tray. Simply open the front door and lift the tray out from the bottom. While I've seen other products that have crumb trays that slide out from under the front door, or open through a hatch on the bottom of the unit, I find Black & Decker's approach works just as well.
Since I broil steaks in my unit, it does get splattered on the interior a bit. I find if I clean it shortly after cooking in it (before the splatter has time to harden), a wet sponge works quite well.
The rack and oven pan are removable and wash off easily in the sink with soapy water and a sponge.
The exterior of the unit also cleans easily with a soapy sponge.
Read all comments (1)
Amount Paid (US$): 39.99
Share this product review with your friends