Black & Decker TR0964 Toaster Oven Reviews

Black & Decker TR0964 Toaster Oven

Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964

Dec 28, 2012 (Updated Dec 28, 2012)
  • User Rating: Very Good

Pros:Inexpensive, does the job, slide out rack, three-pronged grounded plug, On Indicator light, dings loudly.

Cons:Messy, difficult to reach crumb tray. Annoyingly loud 30-minute timer that you can’t turn off.

The Bottom Line: Not a bad toaster oven considering the price and what it does. If I hadn’t abused it using aluminum foil, the lower element probably would have lasted longer.

I’ve had my Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 for four years now when the bottom quartz element died. I take some responsibility for that because I’ve always covered the bottom crumb tray with foil to avoid a mess but you’re not supposed to. The foil causes the heating element to overheat.

Be that as it may, I can still toast and bake with the Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964. When it toasts, I just have to flip the toast over to get both sides. When it bakes, the top element gets the oven hot enough to heat up the entire oven, it just takes a little longer to bake items.

Toaster ovens don’t seem to last very long anymore. This Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 replaced a Toastmaster that I had for seven years. I’m replacing the Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 with an Oster TSSTTVMNDG Digital Convection Toaster Oven but I’m holding on to the Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 just in case!

The Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 has a crumb tray that would aggravate most but I’ve gotten used to it since I’ve been doing it for four years. You have to turn the oven on it’s back to get to the hinged or clipped crumb tray. It’s not always easy to open/close either and when that happens, be prepared for crumbs to go every which way! So, you won’t just be cleaning the crumb tray, you’ll be cleaning the counter and maybe the floor too.

The other aggravating thing about this toaster oven is the timer mechanism. If you add too much time for the dish you can’t undo it. It will tick, tick, tick until it un-ticks itself. It’s like Chinese water torture and it’s loud! The DING! is also loud but that’s a good thing unless you have a headache.

I liked that I could make toast, broil chops, bake chicken, and roast vegetables in my Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964. I would start off baked potatoes in my microwave oven and then finish them off in the Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 to get some tasty browning on them. This worked for sweet potatoes too. I cooked/rewarmed my veggies on top of the unit since the top got hot enough to do that although the small unit never put out so much heat that it heated my kitchen.

I also baked clafouti in my Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 in pyrex glass even though some say you shouldn’t put pyrex in a toaster oven. I never had a problem. The Use & Care book that came with the unit stated that ovenproof glass or ceramic bakeware without glass lids could be used with the oven as long as the top edge of the container was at least 1” away from the upper heating element. Mine was closer than that.

I paid $33.00 at Kmart for the Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964. I don’t remember if it was on sale or not. One of the things I liked about it when I first saw it was that it had a three-prong grounded plug which made me feel safer. It has an On Indicator Light that is easy to see to let you know it’s on.

The Black & Decker Toaster OvenTRO964 comes with a longer cord than you will find on most these days but it is still short enough to be inconvenient depending on where you try to locate it in your kitchen.

Another thing I liked is that the bake/broil wire rack is attached to the door so that when you open the door, the rack automatically slides out without falling out, like some models. This slide out helps you to remove the food or make adjustments to it. It’s a nifty feature and more models should have it. It prevents you from reaching inside and burning yourself. The unit came with a small baking/broiling tray that I would always line with aluminum foil. Even so, it didn’t stand up well to cleaning and parts of the material on the tray flaked off. Cheap, cheap!

Approximate Dimensions
15 x 9 x 8 ½

I didn’t like that it was difficult to see the numbers and words on the side panel. I could never find the correct toast level for my toasting needs. I could never walk away from the toasting function, I had to watch it all the time; even more so when the bottom element died. When it came to baking, the 30-minute timer was too short and I always had to add more time. It’s probably a good idea not to walk out of the kitchen when using any toaster oven. I had a fire in one of my toaster ovens years ago. I also got shocked when I didn’t allow the unit to dry off enough when I cleaned it. Take as much care with these smaller toaster ovens as you would with your big oven. Maybe even more care and you should be safe.

Visit: www.applicaconsumerproductsinc.com

Black & Decker Perfect Broil Convection Toaster Oven, CTO4500S, Silver

Black & Decker Perfect Broil Convection Toaster Oven, CTO4500S, Silver

Breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks, the versatile Black & Decker Convection Toaster Oven prepares it quickly. It toasts, cooks, broils and reheats a v...

Black & Decker Toaster Oven

Black & Decker Toaster Oven

Product Type: Toaster oven. Finish: Black
Quill.com

Black & Decker 6-Slice Convection Toaster Oven

Find countertop ovens at Target.com! Enjoy cooking versatility-right on your countertop with this black & decker 6 slice convection toaster oven! You ...

Black & Decker CTO4500S Perfect Broil Toaster Oven-No Size, Stainless Steel

Black & Decker CTO4500S Perfect Broil Toaster Oven-No Size, Stainless Steel

Cooking made easy with this convection toaster that maintains the set temperature and features a 60-minute timer, nonstick interior surface, and remov...
BeallsFlorida.com

Countertop 4-slice Toaster Oven, Black & Decker Pizza, Toast, Bagel Food Cooker

Countertop 4-slice Toaster Oven, Black & Decker Pizza, Toast, Bagel Food Cooker

Black Decker TRO480BS 4-Slice Toaster Countertop Oven Black Decker TRO480BS 4-Slice Countertop Toaster Oven Brand New w/ Factory Backed 1 Year Warrant...

Black & Decker Toaster Oven 1200 W 4 Slice White

[truncated] BLACK DECKER TOASTER OVEN *10.85H x 13.5W x 19.75L *1200 watts *4 slice capacity *Broil function *Maximum bake temperature 450 degrees *30...

Product Type: Convection oven. Product Type: Toaster oven
Quill.com

Convection Cooking, With Crumb Tray

Spectrum Brands/Black & Decker : Toaster Oven

Spectrum Brands/Black & Decker : Toaster Oven

5-in-1 cooking versatility, rotisserie, back, broil, toast, and convection-bake functions. 120 minute digital timer, LCD display. Convection cooking c...