Black & Decker G48TD Waffle Maker Reviews

Black & Decker G48TD Waffle Maker

Black & Decker G48TD Grill & Waffle Maker is My Kitchen Power Tool

Dec 22, 2008

Pros:Variety of uses; easy clean; reversible, removable grids; affordable

Cons:Outside gets very hot - exterior is NOT “cool touch”.

The Bottom Line:

I love the Black & Decker G48TD!

My boys (currently ages 10 & 8) are waffle connoisseurs. Or as I like to call them, “Waffle Freakasauruses”. For years I had been using a cheap, hand-me down single-waffle maker. After realizing it wasn’t heating as well as it used to, I started hunting around for a heftier model.

After doing my research I decided I HAD to pay a little more for removable plates. If you’ve never had a waffle maker before, TRUST ME that the little amount of money you may save without this feature is not worth the hassle.

Being a stay-at-home mom of two athletes, who also runs her own business (translation “Super Mom”) I am also a big fan of multi-functionality. Also, we have a small kitchen without much counter-space. This means the appliance had to be a reasonable size for easy storage.

When I learned of the Black & Decker G48TD Grill & Waffle Maker here on Epinions, I was sold.

What you get

From the Black & Decker appliances web site: Bake fresh waffles, flip flapjacks, or grill meat-this versatile grill & waffle baker with reversible nonstick grids gives you cooking options for any meal. The grill grids have channels to let fat drain away, and the nonstick surface makes cleanup easy.

Features:

Cooking Area 9"

Cord Wrap

Ready Light

Variable Temperature

According to the web site, you can find the G48TD (“or similar”) at Kmart, Kohl’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Wal-mart and Amazon. My local Target and Wal-mart did not carry any B&D waffle irons when I was shopping. I found a pretty good deal, including free shipping at Amazon.

An instruction booklet is also included with the waffle maker. I mention this because in addition to explaining uses, it includes some basic recipes to get started. Also of note, the instructions include recommended heat settings for different foods such as waffles, burgers and more.

How it works; or doesn’t
Be sure to follow the instructions on prepping the waffle maker. Although the plates are non-stick, I do find some light oiling is necessary for easy food removal, especially for waffles. The food you will be preparing will determine temperature setting, and pre-heating time. Again, be sure to reference the instructions for this. The light indicator will go out, letting you know preheating is done.

Making waffles is the same as any other traditional maker. Once it is preheated, simply poor in your batter (approximately two cups), make sure to spread evenly and slowly lower the lid. The indicator light will come back on, and once it goes off again, open the lid and check your waffles. Mine have always been cooked thoroughly without being over done. I have found that the waffles will be lighter in color towards the back of the maker. So I simply flip them around and close the lid for another minute. This gets them more evenly colored.

Grilling burgers is also great with the flat plates. I can get three 1/4ounce burgers easily onto the plates. I close the lid to grill two sides at once and cut cooking time. I have also tried grilled cheese this way. But my sons didn’t like how the sandwich was smashed.

The G48TD can also be opened fully so that both sides are flat on the counter. Now you have double the grilling area. Again, making grilled cheese, the temperature had to be turned all the way to high. The open area cools down the plates.

In addition to being in love with the easily cleaned, removable plates, I like that they have channels to handle overflow. I haven’t needed these for waffles. But making burgers was a different story. I put a small cup (a tuna can would work too) underneath and a lot of the grease flowed right in. There was a little dripped down the sides. But the chrome made it easy to clean after the unit completely cooled.

A few characteristics I don’t care for: 1) the plates are not dishwasher safe. They should be washed by hand. They are, again, very easy to clean in this manner however; 2) only the cool touch handles stay cool during use. And I feel they should be a bit larger. The exterior of this unit gets extremely hot and does not cool down quickly after it is turned off. Luckily my kids are old enough to understand when I tell them, stay away. If my kids were toddlers, I would think twice about this model.

Given these two downsides, I’m overall extremely happy with the Black & Decker G48TD. And so are my waffle-eaters!

Irresistible Deals 4 You NEW Black Decker G48TD Grill and Waffle Maker - We only sell Brand New items. - This item is entitled to FREE SHIPPING ! - Up...

New in Box Black and Decker Grill, Waffle Maker and Griddle Model: G48TD Chrome Finish, Non-Stick This auction is for a New in Box Black and Decker Wa...