Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Dry Cat Food

Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry cat food - Weight Control Formula to the Rescue!

Jul 31, 2011

Pros:Cat loved the taste, Lower Calories, Grain Free, High Protein, lower fat

Cons:none noted

The Bottom Line: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Dry Cat Food is a lower fat and calorie option but still grain free.

Why we decided to try Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry Cat Food in the Weight control Formula

Our 11 yr old cat, Tinkerbelle has a lot of health issues. One of them is IBD which means he has a sensitive digestive tract. We have gotten it under control with some supplements, some medications and changing the way we fed him. We used to feed him twice a day using a high quality wet food, but it seemed that one of the triggers for his IBD was stomach acid churning on an empty stomach. Since we could not leave wet food out for free feeding we went in search of a high quality high protein dry food. We tried Evo and a few other dry foods which did not seem to agree with him. Finally when shopping at Petsmart I noticed the Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain free dry foods for cats and thought I would give it a try. This worked great for Tinkerbelle's tummy supplementing wet foods that the vet wants him to get at breakfast and dinner. The problem was that Tinkerbelle started gaining weight. Being overweight is not good and if we cut back on the foods we were giving him he might run out so when I saw that Blue Buffalo had come out with a Wilderness Weight Control dry cat food I decided to give it a try. It is not drastically less in calories but a little bit so I thought maybe if we fed him just a little less w/ the lower calorie count that he might be able to lose some of the weight.

Food Description and Packaging and Pricing

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Formula Dry Cat Food comes in a foil bag with a ziplock closure. The bag that I bought is 2.5lbs but it also comes in an 11lb bag. I like buying the smaller bags because I feel it keeps fresher. The only place I have seen this is at PetSmart and normally it is about $9.99 a bag but we recently saw it on sale for only $6.99 so we snapped up 3 bags of it. This should last us a few months.

The food pieces are light brown in color and round and about 1/4 inch across if that. Besides that there are little darker brown bits that contain the vitamins and supplements. The Manufacturer puts the vitamins and supplements into these little bits so that they do not have to lose a lot of their potency through baking like most kibble. They use a cold press system for the bits which are called life source bits. The majority of the food is the food morsels with a sprinkling of the life source bits. They stay mixed pretty evenly and you do not have to worry about one of the other settling to the bottom.

Feeding Guidelines and how we are feeding Tinkerbelle

The bag suggests that if you are feeding your cat dry food only to give a 5-9lb cat 1/4 to 1/2 cup and a 10-14lb cat 1/2 to 1 cup. Tinkerbelle's ideal weight is probably 12 -14 lbs. He is a large cat but since having the dry food out he his weight has crept up to 17.5lbs from about 14.5 so clearly we had to take steps to get this under control. When we first started with the dry and even the weight control we were free feeding but since we noticed the weight gain we decided to measure out his food. Since the longest time he goes without food is at night I put his food out at night. We are putting out 1/4 cup of food for him at night and I think previously he was eating sometimes up to 1/2 cup per day in addition to two small portions of wet food in the morning and night. It is interesting that since we started rationing the food he has reduced his consumption to always leave himself a little in the bowl. Smart Kitty!

How well the cat liked the food

Tinkerbelle loves the food and has no problem chowing it down. When we switched from the duck and the chicken formulas to the weight control he liked it equally. At first we mixed the two as is suggested whenever you switch foods and he is doing fine with it. I think it has actually helped a little with loose stools that also come with the IBS. Maybe because it is a lower fat content than the other two dry foods we were feeding him. At any rate Tinkerbelle loved the food!

Weight Loss Goals and Progress

When we started with the food I had not weighed him and we were still free feeding. After a week or so I felt I better weigh him so we could see if we were making progress. Ideally we want him to lose weight slowly so as not to cause any health problems for him in the process. Before we started rationing He was about 17.5 lbs. It is funny but this cat will go stand on our digital scale and stay still while I get his weight. I am not sure how many cats would do that but it's kinda cute how he stays when I tell him to. Sometimes I think he is more like a dog than a cat. Anyway after two weeks on the rationing he was down to 17.2 lbs which may not seem like a lot but in percentages this is fine for him to lose about a tenth of a pound per week. At this rate he should be to his ideal weight in about 6 months. I am guessing it has taken him that long to get to this weight. Also I should mention that Tinkerbelle is on a small amount of prednisone every other day which can make it harder for him to lose weight or stay thin.

Nutriional Info and Ingredients

Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Peas, Turkey Meal, Dried Egg, Pea Fiber, Potatoes, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Chicken Flavor, Oat Bran, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Dried Chicory Root, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Guaranteed Analysis

Calories per cup: 365

My Reviews on other Dry Cat Foods by Wilderness
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck Recipe Dry Food for Cats
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe Dry Food for Cats

If you have questions or comments I would welcome the discussion in the comments section. I will try to reply as soon as possible. Make sure to click the button to subscribe to the comments so that you will get notification when a new comment is added

:-)

Becky

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food, 5 lbs. by Blue Buffalo [Pet Supplies]

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food, 11 lbs.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Adult Dry Cat Food, 11 lbs.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Adult Dry Cat FoodSupports Weight Management. Carefully balanced calories from proteins and fat help ma...
Petco

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 11-lb bag; Inspired by the diet of the lynx, a tireless hunter and wild...
Chewy.com

Blue Buffalo BLUE Wilderness Adult Weight Control Recipe - Chicken

Blue Buffalo BLUE Wilderness Adult Weight Control Recipe - Chicken

Blue Buffalo BLUE Wilderness Adult Weight Control Recipe - Chicken Inspired by the diet of the lynx, a tireless hunter and wild relative of our domest...
Wag.com

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food 11-lb bag

Compared to most animals cats are relatively small so itĘs not a good idea for them to have a lot of extra weight. So if your cat is starting to spre...
PetFoodDirect

Petco

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Weight Control Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food, 5-lb bag; Inspired by the diet of the lynx, a tireless hunter and wild ...
Chewy.com