Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness Juice Reviews

Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness Juice

ratings (9 Epinions reviews)

Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness Too green for my taste!

May 11, 2008 (Updated May 11, 2008)

Pros:Decent sweet flavor, but...

Cons:aftertaste and flavor make it hard to swallow.

The Bottom Line: This is an ok way to get healthier items (greens) into your diet, but it will take a while to get used to drinking it, I think.

I have enjoyed trying some of the different Bolthouse Farms items that I find in our local warehouse stores. The main on that I enjoy the best so far is the Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Mocha Cappuccino. This one seems to be the regular favorite in most of the warehouse stores in my area! I can regularly find this in the stores anytime I visit them!

But, recently, there have been other Bolthouse Farms bottles showing up and I like the first one so much that I decided to try others. This offering, Green Goodness is a different type of drink, but made by the same people so I hoped that I would enjoy it. I knew by reading the bottle that it really wasn’t a bad drink to take home, so I decided to go for it!

The Product

The Green Goodness bottles are the same size as the others coming in a 33.8 ounces or 1 Liter of product. From the warehouse clubs, you get 2 of these bottles hooked together for a really great price. The bottle describes this as being “fruit juice blend with 14 powerful nutrients”. You see on the front kiwi fruit, apples and then grain. Reading the label further, I find that it contains items like the following: wheat grass, spirulina, spinach, and even blue green algae. Wow, if they can cover these items up with juice and kiwi and things and make an amazing flavored drink, it would be worth it, as I know I should get more of my vegetables, especially the dark green kind!

The bottle states that this product is flash pasteurized and cold-filled for quality!

Now would be a great time to show you the ingredients, please see below:

The Ingredients

Apple juice from concentrate (apple juice concentrate, water), pineapple juice from concentrate (pineapple juice from concentrate, water), mango puree from concentrate (mango puree concentrate, water), banana puree, kiwi juice, natural flavor, spirulina, open cell chlorella, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), lime juice, zinc sulfate, broccoli, green tea, spinach, barley grass, wheat grass, blue green algae, Echinacea purpurea extract, odorless garlic, tamarind puree, dragon fruit juice, lemon bioflavonoids, Jerusalem artichoke and Nova Scotia dulce.

This product does have the Circle U for those with dietary restrictions that need to know if these items will fit in their meal plans or not.

So, after reading the ingredients, I did hesitate a bit. I worried there were too many things in this that would not really make for a good “juice” drink, as I was thinking it was. I mean, the top 5 items were sweet, delicious fruit juices, so, they should be the primary taste, right.

Another thing that I took note of was the color of the juice. This really makes you step back and look at it because it is really very dark green. When you pour out a glass, you will notice it is a bit thicker than juice. There is some texture there. But, it wasn’t terribly bad. It does coat a glass, though!

The smell seems to be fruity, like apple juice with a touch of something else, almost grassy smell. But, the apple juice seemed to cover up the other smells. Well, I tipped the glass and took a drink. I wasn’t too bad, it wasn’t too great. It did have a nice sweet flavor, but it was the texture and the aftertaste that lingered that made this hard for me to drink. Since I had 2 Liters to try, I gave it quite a few tries. But, I just wasn’t able to drink very much more than 1 – 2 swallows each sitting. So, for me, that was a drink that I think I needed to rule out.

Nutritional Facts

This information is based upon 1 serving which is 8 fluid ounces. With 1 of these bottles you can have up to 4 servings! The facts below are based upon a standard 2,000 calorie diet.

Calories 140 Calories from Fat 0
Dietary Fiber 1g or 4%
Sugars 27g or 4%
Protein 2g
Vitamin A 120% * Vitamin C 105%
(as alpha- and beta- carotene)
Calcium 2%
Folic Acid 30%
Iron 15%
Riboflavin 7%
Vitamin B6 15%
Vitamin B12 30%
Manganese 150%
Zinc 120%

Wow, check out all that these drinks have to offer in the way of vitamins and minerals! You cannot find that in a lot of drinks on the market! This is one healthy drink!

Overall Impressions

I am not totally against this drink. Fortunately, the price is not extremely high for these at my local warehouse store. I might try them again, but I don’t know. Having 2 big jugs of this in the house with a limited shelf-life really made me hate them after a while, especially since I wasn’t able to sit down and drink 8 ounces in one sitting!

The flavor was not hideous, but it wasn’t super sweet and juice flavored either. The juice smell and initial flavor were there, but the aftertaste and after-feel that you would have in your mouth after drinking some of this left me desiring something else to wash it down. For those that are used to drinking the vegetable drinks or possibly that make their own vegetable and juice mixtures, you will probably like this. If you are just a casual “health” drink person, I don’t know if you will like it or not.

I am still on the fence about this drink. While it wasn’t terrible like I thought it might be, it wasn’t the terrific, sweet juice drink that I hoped it would be either. I mean, I had hoped that this drink would con me into believing it was a delicious sweet tooth satisfying juice drink that gave me (sneakily) healthy ingredients! But, alas, it was not to be. I will likely try it again to give it another chance, but, I don’t think it will become a regular drink in my daily routine. It is sweet, but not sweet enough to fool my taste buds, but the healthy properties it does provide might help me swallow it to give myself nutrients that I should be taking in, but am not doing such a good job at doing.

Good luck if you try it, I hope you like it and it becomes a new part of your routine. It’s not terrible, but it definitely, I think, takes some getting used to drinking! Also, if you want more information about the products that Bolthouse Farms offer, try checking out their website at www.bolthouse.com.

~Thanks for spending time with me today!~

Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Mocha Cappuccino.

Honest Kids - Organic Juice Drink Goodness Grapeness - 8 x 6.75 Pouches

Honest Kids - Organic Juice Drink Goodness Grapeness - 8 x 6.75 Pouches

Honest Kids - Organic Juice Drink Goodness Grapeness - 8 x 6.75 Pouches (8 x 200 mL Pouches)Honest Kids Organic Juice Drink Goodness Grapeness has gre...
LuckyVitamin.com

Wholesome Goodness Juice 32oz Pack of 12

Wholesome Goodness Juice 32oz Pack of 12

From concentrate. Simple. Naturally delicious. No sugar added. Very low in sodium. 100% cranberry juice (reconstituted). We're dedicated to providing ...