101 Ways to Tell Your Child "I Love You" || Tell them by showing them...

Jul 6, 2009 (Updated Jul 10, 2009)

Pros:Short, to the point. Simple, specific examples that do not preach to you.

Cons:Many examples may not seem suitable to your needs, but try them anyway...

The Bottom Line: More than simply saying 'I love you', a wonderful collection of examples to build your own family (and child) traditions of saying 'I love you'.

...
It seems odd that it might be difficult for a parent or grandparent to tell a child 'I love you'. Do we not try to tell them that every day..?? Perhaps that is part of the problem. Too often we might simply mouth the words rather than communicate our true meaning and heart.

101 Ways to Tell Your Child "I Love You"
is much more than a simple 'do this' guide. Instead author Vicki Lansky uses simple black and white line drawings to illustrate and short, simple text to explain how to show-n-tell your child everyday ...'I love you..!!'

"With over 2 dozen books that have sold over 6 million copies" Vicki Lansky has a proven record in the genre of parenting advice. This book does nothing but polish that reputation.

I am struck, as I flip through the short book, by how many of these 'ways to tell' center on mom or dad or grandparent touching their child:

– "Dad, stop in the middle of shaving to give a surprise shaving-cream kiss to your watching child. . ."

– "Plant a kiss on your child's palm and roll his or her fingers tightly to 'hold' it safely for later use or whenever it is needed."

– "Draw the letters I  L-O-V-E  Y-O-U on your child's back with your fingers during a bedtime backrub."

The last one reminds me of my own kids. When they were little at bedtime or couch-time we would play a game of dad tracing letters on their back as they tried to guess letters and words. Just a silly little one-on-one activity that benefited both participants.

Many of the other 'ways' focus on unique notes and messages of love to your child as well as special moments spent interacting one-on-one with them. I think we all need the special reinforcements of touch and words and time. That has to be a good thing for a child as well.

Two special adult-focused 'ways' jumped out at me as I read.

One notes:

" There are two sides of love.

One is giving, the other is receiving.

Children sometimes show us their love when we're busy or angry, but we need to let them show it when they want to

After all, that is how we do it.
"

The picture shows a young child clutching at an aproned mom's leg, perhaps busy preparing a meal, perhaps the worst time to have a munchkin hanging on a leg.

But . . .wow. Perhaps a time when you need to 'receive' the love they are offering, despite how busy you may be at the moment.

The second adult-focused 'way' is near the end of the book. It reminds mom and dad to make sure they have provided for the care of their children by having a legal will to meet future needs: "This is truly the most loving and thoughtful gift you can give your children."

The Bottom Line
While it may seem enough to simply say 'I love you', 101 Ways to Tell Your Child "I Love You" will introduce you to a wonderful collection of examples to build your own family (and child) traditions of saying 'I love you'.

Certified 'lean-n-mean' review.

www.practicalparenting.com ... Author's website.
" '101 WAYS...' (x 5) to show you care. "

Vicki Lansky books found on Epinions