Michael J. Fox - Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist

Encouragement For "Mom Of A Disabled Child"

Jun 26, 2010

Pros:Fox gets very personal and private.  He opened his heart and soul to his readers.

Cons:He does get political about a sensitive topic some may have a moral problem with.

The Bottom Line: Encouraging memoir about deeply personal matters.  Easy reading, yet thoughtfully written.  Fox shows he's just one of us regular people with regular problems. He does have a small agenda, though.

I am an avid reader!! I decided to FINALLY read ALWAYS LOOKING UP The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist, not because I have a disability and wanted to read the words of someone I could relate to, nor because I am a pessimist and needed encouragement or inspiration. Actually, I am considered quite the optimist and encourager. My major difficulty in life is having a child with a disability.  My son has autism.  I am very lucky in that he is high-functioning, but I do get negative and discouraged at times.  Fox's book was so encouraging to me, in that he never allows his disability to tell him "no".  His disability is at the forefront of his life.  It affects his every waking moment.  It is ALWAYS there.  Yet, he lives his life, not around his disability, but inspite of, or even because of his disability!  Instead of hiding or becoming depressed or negative, he sees ways his disability can be a stepping stone, a way up and out, over and under!  This book inspired me to not look at each problem or challenge as a set-back, but as a way to change and grow.  To see the potential; to do things in a different way.  To see my sons strenghts and use them to overcome his weaknesses.  Fox is very funny, straightforward, honest, and real.

Michael J Fox Back To The Future Shirt

Michael J Fox Back To The Future Shirt

This Michael J Fox Back To The Future shirt features the iconic theatrical poster art from the hit 1985 time travel movie.
80sTees.com
Ladies Michael J Fox Back To The Future Shirt

Ladies Michael J Fox Back To The Future Shirt

This Ladies Back To The Future shirt features Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly in an image from the original theatrical poster.
80sTees.com
CafePress Shake It Like Michael J. Fox

CafePress Shake It Like Michael J. Fox

Shop Today! Get Extra 20% OFF! Use code CSE20! Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% polyesterCrew NecklineStandard FitMa...
CafePress.com

Michael J Fox Autographed BACK TO THE FUTURE 11x14 Photo - Marty McFly

Michael J Fox Autographed BACK TO THE FUTURE 11x14 Photo - Marty McFly

Michael J Fox has personally hand signed this 11x14 inch Photo. The autographed album and Certificate will have tamper proof authenticity stickers on ...
Michael J Fox Autographed BACK TO THE FUTURE 11x14 Photo BLACK CUSTOM FRAME - Marty McFly

Michael J Fox has personally hand signed this 11x14 inch Photo. The Black custom wood frame measures 17x20 inches, and includes white over black doubl...
Michael J Fox Autographed BACK TO THE FUTURE 11x14 Photo MAHOGANY CUSTOM FRAME - Marty McFly

Michael J Fox has personally hand signed this 11x14 inch Photo. The Mahogany custom wood frame measures 17x20 inches, and includes white over black do...
20016 Signed Fox Michael J. - Back To The Future - 8x10 Photo

20016 Signed Fox Michael J. - Back To The Future - 8x10 Photo

Powers Collectibles 20016 Signed Fox Michael J. - Back To The Future - 8x10 Photo