Have a Little Faith: A True Story by Mitch Albom

May 18, 2012

Pros:well written, the idea of faith across religions

Cons:that the eulogy had to be written

The Bottom Line: This is a story I enjoyed a lot that was well written with honesty about two humble "men of God".

I've been looking for religious books to read recently and found Have a Little Faith: A True Story in my library's Kindle selections. I put a hold on it and just finished it.

The book is told in the first person by a man who is Jewish but not really practicing. He grew up attending a temple where the rabbi, who he calls the Reb, was wonderful and has been there for over 50 years. When that rabbi asks the author to write his eulogy he is honored but confused. He decides to get to know Reb and meets with him monthly over a multi-year period. He comes to see his devotion to the faith, learns how he was drawn to the role of rabbi, and sees how loving her is, all while slowly growing older and deteriorating some, though not nearly as quickly as he expected when he was first asked.

At the same time (alternating chapters) we learn about another man, Henry, who began life poorly, being a drug addict, and going to jail for a crime he didn't commit, who also became a man of God, in a Christian church in the ghetto of Detroit. The men have completely different backgrounds, and different religions. Yet, they both have a fierce commitment to their faith and we see how they are both loved by their congregations.

Mitch Albom writes eloquently, being descriptive of the situations while providing his own insights and thoughts about the people he is getting to know. He tells us a little about how his own faither has evolved over the course of this getting to know the Reb.

Of course the book does have to end on a sad note, since the book is about writing a eulogy when the time comes, and the time does come, but the journey is an interesting, well written one and the idea of believing and being a good person no matter your personal faith comes across well to be respectful of others that are trying to make things right. I definitely recommend reading this book about two individuals that I very much enjoyed being introduced to.