The Long Way Home

Feb 19, 2010

Pros:Good plot, character development, good vs. evil.

Cons:Mysterious bad guys not totally revealed.

The Bottom Line: This book gives young and older readers the characters, plot, and action everyone wants - plus the crises of good and evil.

In this second book of his Homelander series, Mr. Klavin provides the reader an action-packed mystery that will have teens and adults hooked within a few pages.  A young man, Charlie, who should be a senior in high school is missing a year's worth of his memory and has to think and act fast to avoid the men who are trying to kill him - and the police who want to return him to prison for a murder he doesn't remember.

As a father with both my children way beyond high school, I wondered if I would enjoy reading this novel.  I found myself looking forward to picking it up and had no trouble catching up with where I had left off.  Klavan's style is engaging, developing characters that anyone can identify with and a plot that is both believable as well as beyond expectations.  The descriptions given to set scenes are detailed enough to allow the reader to "be there", but are in no way long and tedious as you might have seen in some 600 page novels.

Klavan's plot forces one to consider evil and good, on a personal as well as a national level - and he asks the reader, "how can one know which is which?"  There is a gentle message of Good and the Author thereof, that emerges little by little as Charlie tries to regain the missing year of his life and figure out who framed him.  This is a well written book that should cause the reader to think a bit more about choices in life we each have.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”