P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast - Untamed

Untamed by PC Cast and Kristin Cast

Nov 10, 2009

Pros:very good plot, interesting and well developed characters, fun story developments

Cons:horrendously choppy and awkward writing

The Bottom Line: A good, vampy book that could have been better written.

Untamed is a delightfully dark and annoyingly cliche-filled piece of funnily and intriguingly twisted vampire lore. I am both surprised and amazed at the number of adjectives I was able to write within that one sentence.

^.^

Similar to the three previous House of Night novels written by mother-daughter duo P.C. and Kristin Cast, Untamed is no doubt a very enthralling story. The plot is constantly escalating; the characters are funny, witty, and layered; the story is fast paced for the most part and is hence a wonderful page turner. Yet, the writing is tinged with awkwardness, is choppy at times, and is ever scattered with cliches.

Plot

Ancient evil, wicked queen Tsi Sgili, and Red vampires/fledglings are ever present on poor vampire fledgling Zoey Redbird's mind. Puzzlement and worry of her best friend's difficult struggle with her humanity, as well as a frenemy's transformation from fledgling to human are also causes of strain. Mythical human/crow beings are also thrown into the mix.

As you can see, there is much going on, not to mention a deadly and beautiful, immortal, god-like rapist. It is quite obvious that the world is turning inside out from the outside in, if there is such a saying.

My Two Cents

Despite the plethora of story events and developments, I never became confused as the authoresses take one thing at a time. And although the plot is not what one would describe as being thick or very deep, it is exciting and intriguing nonetheless.

Romance and sexuality are fairly apparent in Untamed. However, its not as pronounced as in the previous books and plays a lesser role in this story.

As fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs, As countrified as an Okie, and other such sayings are plentiful throughout Untamed. I would bet a bag of movie theater butter popcorn that a cliche per chapter is provided.....enough cliches to mention as an annoyance. Also, as I remember reading such sayings in the previous books, the dialog has become a bit repetitive.

I chose to ignore the awkwardness and slight choppiness of the writing while relishing in the lovely vampiness of the story in the three past House of Night novels. No more shall I do so. Although the writing has not yet stopped me from reading the series, had my review been similarly written, I assume that most would have ran away from that very helpful button like an Okie from a vamp in Chinatown (....). Therefore, no longer can I overlook the questionable writing of the series.

Protagonist Zoey Redbird is witty and funny, serving as sarcastically toned narrator of Untamed (thanks to her, I now understand the meaning of the prase "witch with a capital B"). Zoey, as well as the majority of secondary characters, is very well developed and add spark to the story.

Overall, Untamed is a neat story with enjoyable and well developed characters. The elements of intrigue and mystery are well played and the plot is well layed out, the only drawback being awkward writing with too many cliches throughout. An enjoyable book.....3 stars.

A Bunnylicious Wicked Hallows Write Off review.

Kristin Salon Apron

Kristin Salon Apron

Kristin Salon Apron Features Bleach, Dye, and Water resistant.Made in USA Form fitting and stylish design Durable Polyester Fabric Details Brand: Simp...

Noritake Kristin Bread & Butter Plate, Fine China Dinnerware - White, Thin Gold Ring, Gold Trim

Noritake - Noritake Kristin Bread & Butter Plate - White, Thin Gold Ring, Gold Trim

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

Shop Today! Get Extra 20% OFF! Use code CSE20! The perfect size for your favorite morning beverage or late night brew. Large, easy-grip handle. Treat ...
CafePress.com

Simply Savvy Aprons - Leopard Kristin Salon Apron - Salon Aprons and Smocks (Black Contrast)

Kristin Lee Orchestra Hanging Bird Feeder (SP & CUP)  HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee Orchestra Hanging Bird Feeder (SP & CUP) HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Tr...

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Orchestra Hanging Bird Feeder (SP & CUP) HC - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim
Replacements, Ltd.

Kristin Lee Chelsea MUSIC BOX  HC (Waltz of Flowers), Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple  Flowers,Platinum Tr

Kristin Lee Chelsea MUSIC BOX HC (Waltz of Flowers), Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Platinum ...

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Chelsea MUSIC BOX HC (Waltz of Flowers) - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Platinum Tr

Lodge P14P3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 14 Baking Pan with Loop Handles

Lodge P14P3 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 14 Baking Pan with Loop Handles

The best way to prepare golden-crusted pizza, or roast veggies, this Lodge P14P3 14 cast iron baking pan with loop handles helps you prepare and serve...
The WEBstaurant Store
Kristin Lee Chelsea Music Box  HC (Ave Maria), Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple  Flowers,Platinum Tr

Kristin Lee Chelsea Music Box HC (Ave Maria), Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Platinum Tr

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Chelsea Music Box HC (Ave Maria) - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Platinum Tr

Lodge 14 Cast Iron Wok P14W3

Lodge 14 Cast Iron Wok P14W3

Lodge P14W3 Features: -Wok.-Non stick.-Hand wash only.-Pre seasoned with vegetable oil.-Large loop handles for convenience.-Made in the USA.-Rustproof...
Wayfair

Lodge P14W3 14 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok

Lodge P14W3 14 Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Wok

Saute meats and vegetables to perfection with this Lodge P14W3 14 cast iron wok! This wok is generous in size and features well designed assist handle...
The WEBstaurant Store