P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast - Untamed

Untamed by PC Cast and Kristin Cast

Nov 10, 2009

Pros:very good plot, interesting and well developed characters, fun story developments

Cons:horrendously choppy and awkward writing

The Bottom Line: A good, vampy book that could have been better written.

Untamed is a delightfully dark and annoyingly cliche-filled piece of funnily and intriguingly twisted vampire lore. I am both surprised and amazed at the number of adjectives I was able to write within that one sentence.

^.^

Similar to the three previous House of Night novels written by mother-daughter duo P.C. and Kristin Cast, Untamed is no doubt a very enthralling story. The plot is constantly escalating; the characters are funny, witty, and layered; the story is fast paced for the most part and is hence a wonderful page turner. Yet, the writing is tinged with awkwardness, is choppy at times, and is ever scattered with cliches.

Plot

Ancient evil, wicked queen Tsi Sgili, and Red vampires/fledglings are ever present on poor vampire fledgling Zoey Redbird's mind. Puzzlement and worry of her best friend's difficult struggle with her humanity, as well as a frenemy's transformation from fledgling to human are also causes of strain. Mythical human/crow beings are also thrown into the mix.

As you can see, there is much going on, not to mention a deadly and beautiful, immortal, god-like rapist. It is quite obvious that the world is turning inside out from the outside in, if there is such a saying.

My Two Cents

Despite the plethora of story events and developments, I never became confused as the authoresses take one thing at a time. And although the plot is not what one would describe as being thick or very deep, it is exciting and intriguing nonetheless.

Romance and sexuality are fairly apparent in Untamed. However, its not as pronounced as in the previous books and plays a lesser role in this story.

As fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs, As countrified as an Okie, and other such sayings are plentiful throughout Untamed. I would bet a bag of movie theater butter popcorn that a cliche per chapter is provided.....enough cliches to mention as an annoyance. Also, as I remember reading such sayings in the previous books, the dialog has become a bit repetitive.

I chose to ignore the awkwardness and slight choppiness of the writing while relishing in the lovely vampiness of the story in the three past House of Night novels. No more shall I do so. Although the writing has not yet stopped me from reading the series, had my review been similarly written, I assume that most would have ran away from that very helpful button like an Okie from a vamp in Chinatown (....). Therefore, no longer can I overlook the questionable writing of the series.

Protagonist Zoey Redbird is witty and funny, serving as sarcastically toned narrator of Untamed (thanks to her, I now understand the meaning of the prase "witch with a capital B"). Zoey, as well as the majority of secondary characters, is very well developed and add spark to the story.

Overall, Untamed is a neat story with enjoyable and well developed characters. The elements of intrigue and mystery are well played and the plot is well layed out, the only drawback being awkward writing with too many cliches throughout. An enjoyable book.....3 stars.

A Bunnylicious Wicked Hallows Write Off review.

Noritake Kristin Bread & Butter Plate, Fine China Dinnerware - White, Thin Gold Ring, Gold Trim

Noritake - Noritake Kristin Bread & Butter Plate - White, Thin Gold Ring, Gold Trim
Replacements, Ltd.

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

The perfect size for your favorite morning beverage or late night brew. Large, easy-grip handle. Treat yourself or give as a gift to someone special. ...
CafePress.com

Simply Savvy Aprons - Leopard Kristin Salon Apron - Salon Aprons and Smocks (Black Contrast)

Lodge Pro-logic P14p3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch

Lodge Pro-logic P14p3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch

Free Expedited Shipping Through Christmas! Lodge Pro-Logic P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, Black, 14-inch Item Description Seasoned 14 round pizza pan with...

Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch

Lodge Pro-Logic P14W3 Cast Iron Wok, Black, 14-inch

Product Details 14-inch cast-iron wok Preseasoned and ready for immediate use Cast-iron surface heats slowly and evenly to prevent burning Large loop ...
Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/cornbread Pan

Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/cornbread Pan

Free Expedited Shipping Through Christmas! Lodge L5P3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/Cornbread Pan Item Description Seasoned and ready to use stra...

Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/cornbread Pan, Free Shipping,

Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/cornbread Pan, Free Shipping,

Lodge L5P3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin/Cornbread Pan, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Lodge Size: 7.75x5.38x1.5 Color: Black Item Dim...

Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin Cornbread Pan Free Shipping

Lodge L5p3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin Cornbread Pan Free Shipping

Our Store About Us View All Listings Feedback Policies Contact Us Bookmark Us View Our Deals Lodge L5P3 Seasoned Cast Iron Cookware Muffin Cornbread P...

P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, 14 In.

P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, 14 In.

Lodge Mfg P14P3 Cast Iron Pizza Pan, 14 In.
Lodge ® Cast Iron 10 Skillet

Lodge ® Cast Iron 10 Skillet

All the sizzle of classic cast iron for searing, sauteing, or broiling. Skillet with convenient helper handle is pre-seasoned and ready to cook. Renow...
Crate & Barrel