P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast - Untamed

Untamed by PC Cast and Kristin Cast

Nov 10, 2009

Pros:very good plot, interesting and well developed characters, fun story developments

Cons:horrendously choppy and awkward writing

The Bottom Line: A good, vampy book that could have been better written.

Untamed is a delightfully dark and annoyingly cliche-filled piece of funnily and intriguingly twisted vampire lore. I am both surprised and amazed at the number of adjectives I was able to write within that one sentence.

^.^

Similar to the three previous House of Night novels written by mother-daughter duo P.C. and Kristin Cast, Untamed is no doubt a very enthralling story. The plot is constantly escalating; the characters are funny, witty, and layered; the story is fast paced for the most part and is hence a wonderful page turner. Yet, the writing is tinged with awkwardness, is choppy at times, and is ever scattered with cliches.

Plot

Ancient evil, wicked queen Tsi Sgili, and Red vampires/fledglings are ever present on poor vampire fledgling Zoey Redbird's mind. Puzzlement and worry of her best friend's difficult struggle with her humanity, as well as a frenemy's transformation from fledgling to human are also causes of strain. Mythical human/crow beings are also thrown into the mix.

As you can see, there is much going on, not to mention a deadly and beautiful, immortal, god-like rapist. It is quite obvious that the world is turning inside out from the outside in, if there is such a saying.

My Two Cents

Despite the plethora of story events and developments, I never became confused as the authoresses take one thing at a time. And although the plot is not what one would describe as being thick or very deep, it is exciting and intriguing nonetheless.

Romance and sexuality are fairly apparent in Untamed. However, its not as pronounced as in the previous books and plays a lesser role in this story.

As fake as Pamela Anderson's boobs, As countrified as an Okie, and other such sayings are plentiful throughout Untamed. I would bet a bag of movie theater butter popcorn that a cliche per chapter is provided.....enough cliches to mention as an annoyance. Also, as I remember reading such sayings in the previous books, the dialog has become a bit repetitive.

I chose to ignore the awkwardness and slight choppiness of the writing while relishing in the lovely vampiness of the story in the three past House of Night novels. No more shall I do so. Although the writing has not yet stopped me from reading the series, had my review been similarly written, I assume that most would have ran away from that very helpful button like an Okie from a vamp in Chinatown (....). Therefore, no longer can I overlook the questionable writing of the series.

Protagonist Zoey Redbird is witty and funny, serving as sarcastically toned narrator of Untamed (thanks to her, I now understand the meaning of the prase "witch with a capital B"). Zoey, as well as the majority of secondary characters, is very well developed and add spark to the story.

Overall, Untamed is a neat story with enjoyable and well developed characters. The elements of intrigue and mystery are well played and the plot is well layed out, the only drawback being awkward writing with too many cliches throughout. An enjoyable book.....3 stars.

A Bunnylicious Wicked Hallows Write Off review.

Kristin Mug

Kristin Mug

Small measures 3.75 tall, 3 diameter; Mega measures 4.5 tall, 3.75 diameterSmall holds 11 oz.; Mega holds 20 oz.Black color-changing mugs available in...
Cafepress.com

Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Love Spell  HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Love Spell HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,...

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Love Spell HC - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

CafePress I Love KRISTIN Mug

The perfect size for your favorite morning beverage or late night brew. Large, easy-grip handle. Treat yourself or give as a gift to someone special. ...
CafePress.com

Kristin Lee Chelsea Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Coffee  HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple  Flowers,Platinum Tr

Kristin Lee Chelsea Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Coffee HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Pla...

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Chelsea Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Coffee HC - Tan, Pink & Purple Flowers,Platinum Tr

From Santa For Kristin Mug

From Santa For Kristin Mug

Cafepress.com

Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Ocean  HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Ocean HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown...

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Orchestra Scented Cup & Saucer Candle-Ocean HC - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

I Love Kristin Mug

I Love Kristin Mug

Cafepress.com

Kristin Lee Orchestra Music Box  HC (Ode to Joy), Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee Orchestra Music Box HC (Ode to Joy), Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Orchestra Music Box HC (Ode to Joy) - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

14 Cast Iron Wok P14w3

14 Cast Iron Wok P14w3

14 Cast Iron Wok Model: P14W3 Made in: United States Manufacturer: Lodge Mfg Co Weight: 14.00 pounds UPC: 075536396002 Cast Iron Wok - Sturdy base and...

Kristin Lee Orchestra Mirror-Small (SP) HC, Fine China Dinnerware - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim

Kristin Lee - Kristin Lee Orchestra Mirror-Small (SP) HC - Pink,Blue&Orange Flowers,Brown Trim