Bose Companion 2 Series II Computer Speakers Reviews

Bose Companion 2 Series II Computer Speakers

Quality sound with no harsh edges!

Aug 10, 2008

Pros:Rich, full, melodious sound quality. Sensitive even at lower volumes. Compactness, quality looks and design.

Cons:No 'off' button

The Bottom Line: I'd recommend these speakers to anyone with similar requirements and tastes. They are certain to please.

After comparing the Bose Companion II 2.0 speakers with Logitech Z-4 2.1s purchased at the same time for my desktop computer, hands down I personally prefer the sound quality of the Bose Companion IIs. (I mainly listen to CD's and Internet Music/Radio at low-volumes as background music for extended periods of time, and also at mid-volumes when entertaining.)

COMPANION IIs: Subjectively, the BOSE COMPANION IIs deliver extremely well-integrated, rich (but unobtrusive) melodious sound that doesn't wear on you.

Z-4s: By contrast, each time I turned on the LOGITECH Z-4s and enjoyed their sound for a brief time,'listening fatigue' seemed to set in eventually, and I'd feel the need to turn them off. (I believe this was primarily due to a frequently intrusive, monotonous back beat of percussion competing with the vocals on the Logitech Z-4 satellites despite trying to adjust my media player's equalizer.)

COMPANION IIs: Specifically, I'd describe the sound of the BOSE COMPANION IIs as mellow, rich and smooth, with impressive clarity on the highs that is never harsh or shrill. Somehow these speakers manage to allow the listener excellent discernment between instruments, while blending it all into a totality of "full" sound. Spoken voices also sound complex, realistic, and rich - never too "treble-y." The Companion IIs are wonderfully sensitive at the lowest volumes (if it's nighttime and you have neighbors, etc.) But you can crank them up to be heard easily from bedroom to living room, where the sound still delivers beautifully. Personally, I found the bass to be the right amount for each specific piece of music and perfectly blended.

Z4s: By contrast, the sound on the LOGITECH Z-4s never felt truly integrated. Whenever there was any degree of bass in a piece of music, I'd hear the series of bass beat thumps coming from under the desk as too obviously separate from what was coming out of the satellites. The highs on the Logitechs, although crisp, could at times take on an edge of shrillness compared to the Boses, speech was definitely more treble'y than on the Boses, the Z4s seemed to have less sensitivity at low volumes, and, again, there was that intrusive, monotonous percussion beat often competing with the vocals on the Z4 satellites.

Overall, I give very high marks for the Bose Companion IIs whose quality looks and sound clearly live up to the Bose name. I am extremely satisfied with this purchase.

The Bose Companion 2 is produced by a company known for producing high fidelity stereo equipment. These Bose computer speakers are built to higher sta...