Bose Companion 2 Series II Computer Speakers Reviews

Bose Companion 2 Series II Computer Speakers

Night and Day improvement

Feb 6, 2009 (Updated Feb 6, 2009)

Pros:Crisp mid and high range sound. Good design.

Cons:Boomy low range sound.

The Bottom Line: Good replacement PC speakers.

As I subscribe to Netflix who let subscribers watch movies online instantly, I decided to add a little bit of quality to movie watching experience by replacing my cheap PC speakers with something better.  As much as I wanted to go to the top of line speakers, I did not want to go overboard because I have a home theater system that I use for regular movie watching.  I just wanted to watch online movies with a little better audio.
I initially looked for a 2.1 system, but found the subwoofer too big and cumbersome.  Being able to test out store displayed Bose speakers was the main reason I got interested in it in the first place.  There were other speakers that could be tested, but none sounded as nice as Bose at least in the store.  Then, I researched online for reviews on a few speakers including Bose.  Surprisingly, Bose did not have good ratings (by experts) although other speakers I looked had poorer ratings.
The highest rated 2.0 speaker was made by M-Audio, but they were not available for me to hear it in person.  I was going to gamble and order it online based on its ratings alone but not before visiting the store again to hear the Bose one more time.  Well, the Bose sounded good to my ears, and further, the store was having a going out of business 20% off sale.  I figured it was going to satisfy my need and bought it.
At home where everything is quiet, I now know the reason for some people disliking it.  Despite its vastly improved sound over my old cheap speakers, it does have a little boomy sound instead of tight bass.  Upper and mid range sound crisp clear, but not the low male voice which could be annoyingly boomy.  This can be somewhat adjusted through PC’s equalizer setting for some podcasted audio, but not the movies I watch.  If it weren’t for the 20% discounted price, I’d be regretting for not sticking with the better rated speakers. In another word, it may not be as good as some other speakers out there but it is almost as good.  And the discounted price justifies my decision.  It does look good on my desk top and I cannot complain too much about its performance which is night and day in comparison to cheap speakers shipped with PCs.

The Bose Companion 2 is produced by a company known for producing high fidelity stereo equipment. These Bose computer speakers are built to higher sta...