Boston Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener Black Reviews

Boston Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener Black

It's a Powerhouse Alright! The Boston Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener

Dec 17, 2005

Pros:sturdy, gets the job done every time

Cons:noisy, heavy and not all that easy on the eyes

The Bottom Line: If you have kids, you need an electric pencil sharpener that works. If design isn't an issue, this is the tried and true way to go.

We bought the Boston Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener about 2 years ago. With two school-aged children in the house, we were constantly picking up shavings from handheld sharpeners that gave dull tips - or worse, extracted the lead from pencils completely.

We finally got smart and spent the $20 on this unit, which we keep on our desk right by our computer for easy access at homework time.

Style and Design
This unit comes in blue and black with the brown Boston Powerhouse logo emblazened across the side. At best, the style is utilitarian and would be appropriate for either home or office use.

It's roughly 4 inches tall at its tallest side (front) by 6 inches long by 2 inches wide. The cord isn't very long - just long enough to reach from the desk to the power outlet just behind the computer.

It is pretty heavy - maybe about 2 pounds - but its weight adds to its sturdiness while sharpening.

Use
This unit is advertised to be "quiet" but it's actually just as loud as you'd expect a pencil sharpener to be! It does get audibly quieter when it's done sharpening, and has a Pencil-Saver that prevents oversharpening.

We've used this unit with many different kinds of pencils of varying price ranges without any trouble. We don't use charcoal or other specialty pencils (such as pastels) with this product, but I have seen it advertised on drafting and architecture supply sites. The hole for inserting pencils won't take very oversized pencils, as there's barely any wiggle room around a standard no. 2.

The product description says: "This is a heavy-duty motorized, commercial grade electric pencil sharpener. It features X-Acto precision steel spiral cutters, a Pencil-Saver that prevents oversharpening, and an Auto-Reset mechanism that eliminates motor burnout."

I do think that the steel spiral cutters are fantastic, as this unit is far better than the model we use at my office. Pencils come out with a clean, sharp tip and the lead remains embedded in its wooden casing. I'm convinced that this product has saved us money in pencils alone, since cheap sharpeners eat and destroy pencils and don't discriminate on factors such as the quality of the wood. I know it's saved us a great deal of time and headache in picking up stray shavings and losing handheld sharpener tops.

Cleaning the Unit
Shavings are housed in a transluscent plastic compartment on the front of the unit, that pulls out easily when grasped from the sides. The tray isn't very big. It holds about 1/2 cup of shavings, but we rarely need to change the tray.

When the tray is pulled out, there are inevitably shavings inside the unit and a few that dust the desk's surface. This is a small price to pay for a durable, trusty pencil sharpener.

Overall
If you have kids, like doing crosswords in pencil, or are starting up a home office, I highly recommend saving yourself plenty of time and hassle by investing in a high quality product like the Boston Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener.

It only slips in the ratings for me because of its average noise level, hefty size and utilitarian design.

X-Acto(R) By Boston(R) Powerhouse(TM) Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

X-Acto(R) By Boston(R) Powerhouse(TM) Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

A powerful, heavy-duty, commercial-grade sharpener Uses X-Acto(R) precision steel cutters. Pencil-Saver feature sharpens to a perfect point. Auto-rese...
Office Depot

X-Acto(R) By Boston(R) Powerhouse(TM) Electric Pencil Sharpener, Translucent Blue

Office Depot

PowerHouse Desktop Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

Electric sharpener with powerful heavy-duty motor, X-ACTO steel blades and Pencil Saver to prevent over-sharpening.
X-acto Powerhouse 1792 Electric Pencil Sharpener Blue

X-acto Powerhouse 1792 Electric Pencil Sharpener Blue

PRODUCT DETAILS For heavy office use Comes in either blue or black Exclusive Pencil-Saver prevents over-sharpening Powerful quiet commercial grade mot...

X-Acto Black Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener - EPI1799 Black

X-Acto Black Powerhouse Electric Pencil Sharpener - EPI1799 Black

Heavy-duty motor and X-Acto precision steel spiral cutters make this commercial-grade electric pencil sharpener ideal for hard-to-sharpen composite an...
MyBinding.com

X-Acto Electric Powerhouse Pencil Sharpener - Electric

X-Acto Electric Powerhouse Pencil Sharpener - Electric

This tough motorized sharpener is made to last.
Utrecht Art Supplies

PowerHouse Desktop Electric Pencil Sharpener, Translucent Blue

PowerHouse Desktop Electric Pencil Sharpener, Translucent Blue

X-Acto EPI1799 Powerhouse Commercial Grade Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

X-Acto EPI1799 Powerhouse Commercial Grade Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

X-Acto 1799 Powerhouse Commercial Grade Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black Heavy-duty motor (backed by 10-year warranty) and X-ACTO precision steel spir...
OfficeSuperSavers

Boston Manual Pencil Sharpener

Boston Manual Pencil Sharpener

Sharpen with style! This durable steel pencil sharpener is easy to use and adjustable for 8 pencil sizes. 3 1/2 x 2W x 4H. Ages 3 years and up.
Discount School Supply

PowerHouse Desktop Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black

Heavy-duty motor helps you get the job done. The X-ACTO steel blades produce quality, precise sharpening. Pencil Saver saves time by avoiding over-sha...