Boudreauxs Butt Paste 1 Oz Tube Reviews

Boudreauxs Butt Paste 1 Oz Tube

Smooth, Supple Butt Cheeks. To Go!

Apr 23, 2004

Pros:Thick, effective, won't burn a sore bum. You get to say "butt cream" a lot.

Cons:Very expensive (but worth it)

The Bottom Line: Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a panacea for the bottom line.

Back in the early 70s when I was a baby, there were two diapering choices: lousy cloth ones, or lousy disposables. Either way, once a baby peed, her skin had no protection from ammonia and wetness except a thick, waxy, fishy-odored layer of A&D Ointment that had to be applied at each diaper change. Fortunately for my mom, she toilet trained me at about 10 months-- a mystical ability that the mothers of the world lost sometime around 1974.

Cloth and disposable diapers have improved dramatically over the past three decades, so diaper rashes are less common now. When my toddler son's tiny heiney gets red, though, I break out the Boudreaux's Butt Paste.

Those Crazy Cajuns come up with really good names, no? One of my favorite children's books has to be Gaston (the alligator) Drills an Offshore Oil Well. I've never actually read it, but I really like the name. It was like that with Boudreaux's Butt Paste, too. I loved it before I tried it. Say it with me: Butt Paste. Isn't that more fun than saying Desitin?

Using Boudreaux's Butt Paste
Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a very gentle, effective diaper rash medication. It's thick and pasty, with a not-unpleasant scent and a grayish-taupe color. It's not creamy like many other diaper rash medications, but there's a good reason for this: in addition to healing the rash, Butt Paste forms an effective barrier between your child's nethers and his various excretions. Since it's pasty instead of creamy, it doesn't rub off. When you change your child's diaper, he'll still be coated in taupe glop. In this regard, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is more like the creams our moms used decades ago, but with one important difference: it doesn't smell like a cod's dessicated liver. This is not a trivial point.

So there are at least three reasons why Boudreaux's Butt Paste is better than other brands:

1. No funky fish odor.
2. Forms a barrier that doesn't rub off.
3. That wonderful name. Say it again: Butt Paste.

There's another, much more important reason to use Boudreaux's Putt Paste, and it's something I just learned today.

pH
Not all diaper rashes are the same. Some are caused by exposure to wetness or ammonia in urine. Some are caused by bacteria or yeast. Some are caused by diarrhea. Diarrhea can be much more acidic than ordinary poop, and it can burn a child's skin very quickly. Even if you're fastidious about changing diapers, a rash can develop almost instantly. My son's had diarrhea all week, and no matter how quickly I clean him, his rash worsens with every, er, squirt. When I ran out of Boudreaux's Butt Paste early this week, I bought a tube of Desitin Creamy. My son screamed each time I applied it, and then cried for several minutes after. That never happened with Butt Paste. This morning, our pediatrician explained why: most diaper rash ointments are slightly acidic. We're not talking hydrochloric acid here, but if your child's bum is burned from acidic diarrhea, even a slightly acidic ointment will sting like crazy. I even tried "gentle" Aveeno Ointment, but my son was in agony. When I smear on Boudreaux's Butt Paste, he doesn't even notice. I can't find any information online regarding the pH of various diaper rash preparations, but I'm seriously tempted to pick up some litmus paper and test them myself.

I'm not one to list ingredients in a review because most of the time, they're just not relevant, and it's easy enough to look them up elsewhere. I'm making an exception this time because Boudreaux's ingredients list provides some background about why it's so effective. The descriptions of the ingredients come from an online pharmacy that sells Boudreaux's Butt Paste.

Zinc Oxide is a common ingredient in diaper rash ointments because it has "astringent, protective and antiseptic properties."

Peruvian Balsom "is an effective capillary bed stimulant used to increase circulation in the wound site area and is also mildly bactericidal. It is a valuable dressing to promote the growth of epithelial cells in the treatment of indolent ulcers, wounds and in certain skin diseases."

Castor Oil "acts as an emollient and astringent. Castor oil improves epithelialization, acts as a protective covering and aids in the reduction of pain." (Note: smells a hell of a lot less offensive than cod liver oil)

Mineral Oil moisturizer and moisture barrier

Boric Acid 0.3% Antifungal activity to treat yeast associated with incontinent rashes of all types.

White Wax Emollient and vehicle for product.

Petrolatum Product base or vehicle.

If your child has a diaper rash, and seems to be in pain when you apply your usual ointment, try Boudreaux's Butt Paste.

10g Sample Packets
Boudreaux's Butt Paste is usually sold in 1 oz. tubes ($4) and 1 lb. jars ($25.) It's significantly more expensive than other diaper rash treatments. If you're on a tight budget and your child responds to other creams, use them. If your child has diarrhea, though, keep a 1 oz. tube of Butt Paste on hand. If your child gets frequent rashes, the 1 lb. tub is substantially cheaper in the long run.

I have never seen the 10g sample packets in stores, but fortunately, my doctor gave me a few of them this morning. Keeping a tube of ointment in your diaper bag can be both wasteful and messy, so single use trial sized packages are wonderful. If you thought full size tubes were expensive though, prepare for sticker shock: a single use foil packet sells for $1.49 at the company's website, buttpaste.com. 10 grams is about a third of an ounce, so it's actually not a huge price-per-ounce increase over the 1 oz. size.

After my experiences this week, I doubt I'd bother with Desitin or Aveeno again. Even if they're fine for other types of diaper rash, they caused terrible burning after diarrhea. My son literally runs the other way when he sees me coming with a clean diaper now-- ack! here comes mom with that ass-burning glop!

Boudreaux's Butt Paste may be more expensive, but it's gentle and effective for any type of diaper rash. It's supposedly useful for all sorts of other skin conditions too, such as rectal irritation, feminine irritation, jock itch, yada yada yada. If it's between your legs, Boudreaux's Butt Paste will fix it.

I'm sold.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube - 4 Oz.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube - 4 Oz. Butt Paste treats diaper rash and soothes irritated skin.Butt Paste prevents diaper rash by forming a protective b...

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube - 2 Oz

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube - 2 Oz

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube - 2 oz

Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Diaper Rash Ointment, Tube 1 Oz (Pack of 2)

Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Diaper Rash Ointment, Tube 1 Oz (Pack of 2)

Product Information: BOUDREAUX'S BUTT PASTE TUBE Size: 1 OZ (Pack of 2)

American Drug Supply Store
Boudreaux's Butt Paste - Original Diaper Rash Ointment Skin Protectant - 16 oz.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste - Original Diaper Rash Ointment Skin Protectant - 16 oz.

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Original Diaper Rash Ointment Skin Protectant with Zinc Oxide - 16 oz. (454g) Boudreaux's Butt Paste Original Diaper Rash Ointm...
LuckyVitamin.com

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube, Diaper Rash Ointment 4 Oz - 6 Pack

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Tube, Diaper Rash Ointment 4 Oz - 6 Pack

Heading Purpose Skin Protectant Manufacturer Blairex Active Ingredients Zinc Oxide 16% Directions Change wet and soiled diaper immediately. Cleanse th...

Boudreaux's Paste Diaper Rash Ointment - 4 oz

Boudreaux's Paste Diaper Rash Ointment - 4 oz

Find baby care treatments at Target.com! Boudreauxs butt paste offers soothing relief for diaper rashes. It has 16% zinc oxide and peruvian balsam tha...

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Jar 16 Ounce

Boudreaux's Butt Paste Jar 16 Ounce

Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a product developed by Dr. George L. Boudreaux, P.D., who up until 1994 sold the product exclusively through his pharmacy in...
Toys R Us

Boudreaux's Butt Paste

Boudreaux's Butt Paste

CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Infiniti by Conair Just for Men Kirk's Leach...