Comments on Better than no exercise, but no "Bowflex Bodies" w/this!" (3 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: How long did you use it?
by lisa678
I'd say I had it a couple of months... it didn't take long to see how useless it really was. I did try modifying the exercises to accommodate the limitations of the machine (modifications to make the exercises more effective/like they would be with free weights or gym machines). Nothing made the machine worth the money or effective as a workout.
Feb 5, 2009
3:02 pm PST

How long did you use it?
by concernedx80
Hi Lisa,

How long did you use this machine for? Why did it take you so long to assemble it? What was the problem?

Thank you for your help.
Jan 24, 2009
6:51 pm PST

Hard To Believe Reviewer Used This Machine
by robertlaw
I have owned a Bowflex Xtreme XTLU for almost two years now, and while the machine I have and the one reviewed by Lisa678 are not identical, they are probably pretty close to being the same machine. That's why I was amazed by what Lisa said about her/the machine.

First of all, let me start by saying that I weigh about 205 lbs., and, while not a professional bodybuilder, I have a pretty muscular body and am relatively strong when compared to the average male who works out at most gyms.

I have found my Bowflex to be an excellent work-out machine, and by using it, my strength and muscularity have grown quite a bit. You can build significant muscle with this machine, and you will get much stronger throughout your entire body if you use the Bowflex regularly.

I have a total of 410 pounds of resistance on my Bowflex, but I really only use this much weight for the powerlifting exercises I do like squats, deadlifts, and the bench press, along with my calve raises and crunches. I haven't gotten to 410 on the bench press yet, but still find that 410 lbs. challenges my body at relatively low reps on all those exercises except maybe deadlifts.

For all the other exercises I do, I use considerably less weight, as follows:

When I do chest flyes, I currently use about 200 lbs. of resistance, and get a very good workout using that weight.

For overhead presses, I use a total of 220 lbs. on the machine.

When doing curls, I use the squat attachment, and do alternating arm curls with 150 lbs, using the standard handle attachment that probably comes with all Bowflex models.

For lat pulldowns, I lower the bench to the bottom setting, get a fairly wide grip on the lat pulldown bar, and use about 220 lbs. right now, pulling the bar down below my chin in front, using strict form.

I can do about 220 lbs. on the triceps extension exercise, sitting on the bench, setting the starting point for the handles closest to the inside of the machine, and pressing from over my head to straight out in front of me.

For bent rows, which I do using the squat attachment, I am up to 170 lbs., which is tough for me, using the single long bar attachment that came with my machine.

For side lateral raises, I can do 60 lbs. of resistance, meaning 30 lbs. on each side, about ten times, if I'm lucky.

I try to do between 5 to 10 reps per exercise. When I can get ten reps on an exercise, I usually add ten lbs. to the exercise and start again at 5 or 6 reps with the heavier weight.

When I do my workouts, I generally do just one set of each exercise, and do a total body workout each time, doing a total of 14 exercises per workout, which generally takes me between 30 and 40 minutes to get through. This includes bench press, incline bench press, chest flyes, overhead press, lat pulldowns, crunches, triceps extensions, curls, side lateral raises, bent rows, squats, deadlift, leg curls, and calve raises.

I usually rest about two minutes between exercises. I used to rest just one minute between each exercise, but found this made my body too sore the following day, and made my shoulders ache, which I didn't need. Two minutes between exercises leaves me feeling great after my workout.

I try to keep track of both the weight I use for each exercise during each workout, and the number of reps I do for each exercise, too. This way I can push myself to get a little stronger each workout.

As you can see, I am by no means a workout fanatic, but I have seen very good progress throughout my entire body in both my strength and my appearance. Thus, I can tell you by personal experience that the reviewer's claims that the Bowflex is only good for old folks or invalids is simply not true, and leads me, and probably many other faithful Bowflex users that may read her review, to conclude that she either never really used the machine at all, or she didn't know what she was doing when she did use it, or only gave it a limited chance to work for her.

While I don't know Lisa, it is probably likely that I am considerably stronger than she is, given my size and the fact that I am a male. As someone who is probably stronger than the reviewer, I can state with certainty, based on my relatively extensive experience with my own Bowflex, that almost anyone can get a great workout with the Bowflex, and one that is comparable to any workout you can get with free weights or any other type of exercise machine out there. I can't believe, based on the terrific challenge I get from the machine in my own workouts, that Lisa couldn't get a good workout using the Bowflex.

The fact is, you can build a great body with the Bowflex, and you can get very, very strong with the Bowflex, too. The point of my response to Lisa's review is, don't let her dissuade you from buying a Bowflex, as she just hasn't given you an accurate assessment of this great machine.

I don't work for Bowflex, and I have nothing to gain by spending this much time writing this rebuttal to Lisa's review, so that should tell you how much I like and believe in my Bowflex, and how I'm convinced Bowflex can work for anyone, just as it has worked for me.

Again, please don't let reviews like Lisa's stop you from buying this fine machine.
Mar 16, 2008