Bragg , Organic Apple Cider Vinegar With The 'Mother', 16 Fl Oz (473 Ml) Supplement Reviews

3 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Every Day is "mother's" day with BRAGG Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Jul 20, 2008 (Updated Jul 20, 2008)

Pros:Whole, unfiltered, organic.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: Being a Sourpuss has health benefits.

I love pickled food. Beets, cucumbers, herring...Are you making a face?
I also enjoy a glass of vinegar water from time to time. Now don't go making THAT face...

I have no scientific proof, but when I mix a little (about a teaspoon or 2) of a high quality cider vinegar (like Bragg's) with about 6 ounces or more of ice cold water - not only does it refresh me - but it perks me up faster than a cup of coffee.

In the summer time a vinegar water really cools me down when I am overheated. Add some honey and you have quite a refreshing treat! Gosh, I sound like grandpa Simpson...

Turn this Mother Out!

What makes Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar different from all the other grocery store cider vinegars? It's whole. Instead of stripping every bit of goodness out of the vinegar through over processing - Bragg protects it.

Braggs is made from fresh, organic apples. The apples are minimally processed and left to mature and ferment in wooden barrels like a fine wine.

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has something extra in it for you. It comes with a mother. The mother develops naturally when the vinegar reaches a certain stage of maturity. When you take a bottle of Braggs OACV off the store shelf and hold it against the light, you will see a cloudy web-like sediment on the bottom. That's your mother. Vinegars without this mother are also minus enzymes and minerals. So the mother is the best part of the vinegar. Pasteurization kills "mom" - Bragg OACV is an unpasteurized product.

From the website: Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Processed and bottled in accordance with USDA guidelines, it is Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers and Oregon Tilth; and is Kosher Certified.

Being a Sourpuss can be Healthy

So what are the claimed health benefits of suffering through a glass (or 3) of vinegar water every day?

According to my minimal research and what I have picked up over the years - a lot. Enough to fill books and chapters of books and web pages and...there's a ton of info out there about the benefits of whole vinegar. Whole vinegar is ancient medicine.

But why do I drink a glass (or 3) of vinegar water a day? I have many reasons - but here are the first things that pop to the top of my head.

ARTERIAL PLAQUE BUILD UP - Apple Cider Vinegar not only shows signs of fighting plaque buildup but may reverse some of the damage by dissolving plaque. I'm at that age where this is a concern.

DIGESTION PROBLEMS - I have been plagued with random bouts of heartburn since I was 9 years old. It has been noted that people who suffer from sour stomachs and heartburn may be doing themselves a disservice by chomping on antacids when what they need is a little more acid in the tummy. When I stick to my vinegar water drinking - I have less reflux and heartburn problems.

MALIC ACID - Malic acid is one of those things your body needs to ward off stones. It is the enemy of gallstones! It has also been sited as an aluminum detoxifier. Aluminum toxicity has been linked to Alzheimer's Disease. Malic Acid can be found in unfiltered apple products.

STIFF JOINTS - The good stuff in whole vinegar can help with sore joints in two ways: ingesting it AND applying it. Vinegar water soaked into a rag and applied to a sore back (like a compress) seems to help. Regular ingestion may give you some of the flexibility you once had back.

ENERGY - Like I said earlier - a glass of vinegar water gives me an almost instant boost of energy like nothing else I have ever encountered. Try it instead of those high fructose corn syrup energy or sports drinks the next time you are feeling weary and parched. Bragg Vinegar is high in potassium.

and as a side note:

FLEA CONTROL - This may be an old country trick, but my pappy used to put Apple Cider Vinegar in his dog's water dish. Not only did it keep ants out of the water - it seemed to keep fleas off the dog.

B.O. - I once had a friend who complained that after a heavy work out she could not rid her under arms completely of odor. I told her to wash with a vinegar water. Problem solved. Just call me Captain Vinegar!

But does it cook?

So far it sounds like Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is only for medicinal purposes. Sure I can rinse my hair with it (dandruff problems?), wash my windows with it (little pricey for that - but you can), and apply it to a sunburn (old trick that really works) but can I prepare actual food with it?

OF COURSE YOU CAN! Anything you would use a distilled vinegar for (phooey!) or a motherless cider vinegar (double phooey!) for you can use Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar for and feel much better about it. It just tastes better than that clearly overly processed stuff.

I use it on salads and in any recipe that calls for vinegar.

The Real Test

For this review I gave my bottle of Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar a good shake to get the mother moving and mixed up a teaspoon of it in a small glass of water. Here is my immediate response:

Smell test: BOACV smells tart and fresh. It doesn't smell as harsh as a distilled vinegar. It doesn't burn my nose or eyes.

Taste test: Fruity with a slight lemon after taste. It doesn't taste exactly like apples, but it isn't unpleasant at all. It tastes "real". And by that I mean it doesn't taste like chemicals. It's not harsh and burning. It's very smooth.

I would like to point out that if you drink vinegar or eat a lot of pickled foods - be advised to rinse out your mouth afterwards for the sake of your enamel.

The product comes in 3 sizes: 16 fl. ounce, 32 fl. ounce (both in old fashioned glass bottles) and 1 gallon (plastic jug). The liquid is a golden brown.

This product may cost more than the grocery store brands - but the benefit of having a "mother" in every container is well worth it.

Bragg has been a recognized name in the health food community for almost a century. I believe it is a name you can trust.

Vinegar is one of those things - like alcohol - that if you are used to tasting the cheapest and lowest quality version you may not like it all that much. And - much like alcohol - if given the chance to taste a quality version your mind may very well be changed forever. That's how I became a scotch drinker...Try this high quality version of vinegar and see if your tastes are changed forever.

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 1GA (Pack of 4)

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, 1GA (Pack of 4)

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is made from the finest, delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Raw apple cider vinegar is full of zesty natu...

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Limeade - 16 oz.

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Limeade - 16 oz.

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Limeade - 16 oz. (473mL) Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Apple Limeade is ma...
LuckyVitamin.com

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar - 16 fl oz

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar - 16 fl oz

Buy Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar - 16 fl oz. Since the time of Hippocrates in 400 BC, apple cider vinegar has been used to cure a variety of ail...
eVitamins

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar  16 Oz.glass Bottle

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 16 Oz.glass Bottle

Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother Each glass bottle is sealed Expiration may 2018 or later has a 5 year shelf life 16 oz bottle Ingred...

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar  16 Oz.glass Bottle

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 16 Oz.glass Bottle

Soap.com

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 32 fl oz Liquid

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 32 fl oz Liquid

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 32 fl oz Liquid - Made from delicious organically grown apples, Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is commonly used by cons...
Swanson Health Products

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar

Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Processed and bottled in accordance with USDA guideli...
Super Supplements

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Organic Raw -- 32 fl oz

Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Organic Raw -- 32 fl oz

Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout h...
DrVita

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Apple Cinnamon - 16 oz.

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Apple Cinnamon - 16 oz.

Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Apple Cinnamon - 16 oz. (473mL) Bragg - Organic Apple Cider Vinegar All Natural Drink Apple Cinn...
LuckyVitamin.com