Leaks like hell

Aug 13, 2011 (Updated Aug 13, 2011)

Pros:Looks nice, blends well, stands up to ice, comes apart for cleaning

Cons:Leaks, leaks, leaks.

The Bottom Line: It looks nice, stands up to ice, and makes a huge mess because it leaks.  Avoid.

There's not much more to say.  This blender's design is defective, in that it leaks copiously.  Tonight was the last straw, as it dumped half a batch of corn soup onto the counter.

The gasket was installed properly and the bottom secured well.  I guess it's hard to make declarations like this without sounding pompous, but: I'm not a stranger to mechanical devices.  This thing was properly assembled.

Taking a look at the design, you can guess where the problem arises: The blender comes with a soft, narrow gasket that goes between the glass container and the bottom assembly that holds the blades.  This gasket makes direct contact with surface of the bottom assembly, which you must rotate to tighten.  As you tighten that piece, the gasket is crushed between the rotating plastic base and the base of the glass container; the tightening action drags it between the base and the container.  Do you think it might ripple or distort?  I do.

Thinking this might be the case, we've experimented with tightening the assembly less, so as not to distort the gasket.  Doesn't matter.  You can reduce the leaking by tightening the assembly to an extreme, but at that point it becomes impossible for the typical woman to open.

The gasket should most likely have a hard plastic surface on the bottom-facing side, which would slip across the rotating surface of the bottom assembly and prevent the gasket from being distorted by the twisting action of tightening.  In other words, an integrated washer.

Needless to say, this product should not have made it out the door, and customers should not be doing Breville's engineering for them.

And this is not an isolated case.  If you search the Web, you'll find plenty of complaints about leaks with this unit.  One commenter said he'd found "hundreds" of complaints.  I didn't spend that much time on it.

AVOID.