Briarpatch I Spy Snap Card Game

I Spy a good card game

Dec 29, 2002 (Updated Dec 29, 2002)

Pros:Fun game with educational value

Cons:The matching game rules might lead to arguments.

The Bottom Line: I think this is a fun game the children in the age range of 2 to 9 will really enjoy. It also provides some educational value.

Some of you may be aware of the I Spy series of books by Jean Marzollo and Walter Wick. Well I am here to tell you about the I Spy Snap Card Game which is based on that book series. My son received this game in is stocking and Santa new what he was doing.

The game is in a box with various pictures that are on the cards such as keys, bicycles, letters, etc. It is very similar to what the covers of the books look like. The game contains simply 48 cards and the rules. The cards have pictures of different items such as a skeleton, helicopter, clown, frog, etc. each picture is on four different cards, however the central picture may have different backgrounds. The pictures are top quality as they are in the books and contain many hidden items that you can play games with the child having them try to find the other items.

They supply rules for four different games that can be played with the cards. I will discuss the points of each of them briefly. The games that they suggest is snap, I spy riddles, matching game, I spy pig game. We have not played pig yet but it looks like it would be fun after reading the directions.

Rules

The rules are taken directly from the rules included with the game.

I Spy Snap Card Game

They suggest reviewing the cards with all the players to make sure that everybody knows what the pictures are.

1. Skeleton
10. Clown
11. Horse
12. Bicycle

Playing the Game:

Together the players say in rhythm, “I Spy Snap.”

On the word Snap, each player takes the top card and places it face up on the table, all at the same time, so that all can see. It’s not fair to peek at your own card before you lay it down.

Quickly look at all of the face-up cards. If there is no match showing, all players repeat, “ I Spy Snap, “ and turn up the next card on top of the first one. As long as no matches show up, each player’s stack of face-up cards will grow.

If you see a match among the face-up cards, be the first to call out the correct name of the object on the card! Claim the other player’s whole stack of face-up cards and add them to your own face-down stack. Watch carefully there may be two, three, or even four showing at the same time.

If you call out a match by mistake, give one card to every player.

If you run out of cards in your hand, pick up your face-up pile, turn it over and keep playing. If you run out of cards, you are out of the game.

This is a fast pace game which is a lot of fun. It also helps develop reading skills through the scanning and identification of pictures. We have played this a few times since Christmas day.

Another one of my Son’s favorite games is the I Spy Riddles. In this game you place all 48 cards face up and chant rhymes as you point to the objects in the rhyme. The game provides some riddles such as I spy three jacks, three gum drops, too, a Little pink piggy, a paw print that’s blue. We enjoy making up our own riddles and seeking out the objects. This is another great activity to help develop reading skills you can have your child look at the pictures from left to right helping to instill the flow in reading. It is also helpful in the creativity aspect when they are coming up with the riddles for objects for you to find. Very enjoyable for them if you take longer to find the object then they did.

The Matching Game rules are as follows:

For 1 or more players. By playing this fast-moving game beginners can become familiar with the card sets.

Spread all the cards face up on the table. (For the youngest players, you may wish to start with just a few pairs and increase the cards gradually until the children are playing with all 48 cards)

All players play at once, reaching for matching sets and collecting them as they see them. Encourage cooperation and generosity when two players are each holding part of a set.

Play continues until all the sets are matched. The player with the most sets wins.

I am not particularly thrilled with this version of the game. Though it says encourage generosity and cooperation that is easier said than done. Kids want to win and yes they need to learn how to lose, but I feel this version of the matching game can lead to arms and hands being whacked and injuries and arguments ensuing.

We play it as a concentration game which the game company doesn’t suggest, but I feel it works much better and is equally challenging and helps develop skills such as memory that are very important. Now what was I going to say next? Better play this game a little more to help develop my memory huh?

I will give you the rules for Pig but as I said we have not played this version yet because it is stated that 4 to 12 players are needed and our family at home is only 3. Here are the rules directly from the rule sheet.

Make a deck of cards with four sets for each player.

Look at your cards. If you have four of a set, quietly put your finger on your nose. If you do not have four of a set, look at the other players to see if anyone does!

If no one has four cards of the same set, the dealer says, “Go.” Each player takes one card form his or her hand and passes it to the player to the left.

Once more, look at your own cards, then look at the other players!

As soon as one player puts a finger on his nose, all players must do the same.

The last player to put her finger on her nose is the Pig and is the loser of the round. The other players, still holding their fingers on their noses, then point to the loser of the round and say “pig!” The pig says, “ oink.”

They have a note from Jean Marzollo saying if a young child gets upset by being the pig it might be good for you to lose and show that it is all in fun.

Conclusion and thoughts

The cards are bigger than normal playing cards making it easier to handle them and they are laminated helping keep the cards in good shape and shiny. They are also a made of sturdy cardboard which leads to better lasting cards. I personally like this because the games in our house can take a heaping of abuse. Not that my Angel doesn’t take care of his stuff but it’s hard doing it all by himself.

The game is manufactured by Briarpatch and runs around $3.00 that’s what I saw them for at Marshall’s. The suggested for ages 5 and up I think that is a good estimate. I think the Snap and Pig game might be a little advanced for 5 year-olds, but they probably would have fun with the riddle game.

I feel this is a fun game that both the youngsters and older kids could enjoy playing together. My wife and I enjoy playing with my son and we certainly qualify as older kids.

I only got one review written before Christmas so my dedications didn’t go far. So let me say Happy New Year to you all and thanks for reading. I hope you found the review helpful in someway.

Type of Toy: Game
Age Range of Child: 6 to 8 Years

Briarpatch I Spy 3D Game

Briarpatch I Spy 3D Game

Put on your 3-D glasses and enter the fantastical world of I Spy. Create the game board by laying down the 3-D tiles, always in a different pattern, w...
Overstock.com

2 Lot I Spy Snap/shadow Card Toy Game In Case With Backpack Clip On 2011

2 Lot I Spy Snap/shadow Card Toy Game In Case With Backpack Clip On 2011

WELCOME! Please read the description below, before bidding.  Thank you. Description You will receive two lot of I SPY CARD GAMES.  NEW, in package.  D...

Briarpatch I Spy Spectacular Game - Red

Briarpatch I Spy Spectacular Game - Red

Briarpatch I Spy Spectacular GameThe Briarpatch I Spy Spectacular is a one-of-a-kind game with a unique 3-tiered spinner mechanism that will send you ...
JustKidsStore.com
I Spy Spectacular Briarpatch Game 5+ Matching Game For The Quick Eye

I Spy Spectacular Briarpatch Game 5+ Matching Game For The Quick Eye

Brand new game, by Briarpatch, this is from the I SPY series, I SPY SPECTACULAR! 3 level spinner, find the most matches! Ages 5 + up, no reading to pl...

Briarpatch 3-d I Spy Game In Factory Sealed Package Age 5 Plus

Briarpatch 3-d I Spy Game In Factory Sealed Package Age 5 Plus

happies_by_mj store BRIARPATCH 3-D I SPY GAME NEW IN FACTORY SEALED PACKAGE AGE 5 PLUS BRIARPATCH I SPY 30D GAME. NEW SEALED IN FACTORY PLASTIC PACKAG...

I Spy Spectacular Game Ages 5+ Briarpatch Family Game

I Spy Spectacular Game Ages 5+ Briarpatch Family Game

I Spy Spectacular! Game New In Box I Spy Spectacular! Game Ages 5+ 2 or more players 4 ways to play Briarpatch Games Take a whirl with the Three Level...

Briarpatch I Spy: Ready, Set, Silhouette Board Game (I Spy Ready, Set, Silhouette)

Find the matching silhouettes in this exciting I Spy board game. It takes a keen eye and a quick hand to keep up in this fast-paced matching game. Sea...
Overstock.com

Briarpatch I Spy Seeing Doubles

Briarpatch I Spy Seeing Doubles

Match your cards. The action die changes the game play each hand for even more I Spy fun! The first player to get rid of all cards wins! I Spy Seeing ...

Briarpatch  Inc.  BRP06157 I Spy Treasure Hunt Game

Briarpatch Inc. BRP06157 I Spy Treasure Hunt Game

Kids will be ready to use their wits and eyes to find all the hidden riches in this I Spy Treasure Hunt Game. It's a wonderful activity for birthday p...

Briarpatch I Spy Preschool Game - Red

Briarpatch I Spy Preschool Game - Red

Briarpatch I Spy Preschool GameWith Briarpatch I Spy Preschool Game, beginners read pictures and advanced players read words to match riddles with pic...
JustKidsStore.com