Burris Landmark 300125 Reviews

Burris Landmark 300125

Good Spotting Scope at a Good Price

Apr 19, 2005 (Updated Apr 19, 2005)

Pros:Good price, good optics, came with tripod and carrying case.

Cons:Caps break, not fog proof, tripod knobs not smooth, eyepiece lense came loose. 1yr warranty.

The Bottom Line: If you need decent optics but not a rugged all weather scope than this will work for a reasonable price.

When I started shooting rifles I wanted a way to see my bullet holes and the Burris Landmark Spotting Scope was the answer. After carefully reviewing other scopes I noticed that allot of them were expensive (more than $200) and out of my budget range. The more reasonably priced scopes (less than $150) had lower quality reviews and many did not come with a tripod. I did not want to invest in a scope only to have it have poor image quality that made it unsuitable for its intended job. Trusting the reviews for the Landmark I purchased it for $137.

Included in the package was the Spotting Scope with caps, a lightweight aluminum and plastic tripod, lens cleaning cloth, and a soft nylon case that holds everything.

The scope is 12.7in long, feels fairly light at 24oz and has a light gray textured aluminum surface on the rear portion. I think the front portion is actually made out of plastic but its colored and textured the same as the rear portion. It has a plastic screw on cap over the eyepiece and a plastic snap in cover for the 60mm objective. Both caps feel cheap. The eyepiece screw on cap cross threads easily and does not feel very durable. The objective cap has two finger/thumb tabs that are supposed to let you take it off and snap into the objective when putting it on. These tabs broke and the cap just falls off now so I have upgraded to a large, flip open, Buttler Creek Cap for the objective (these are great caps).

The multi coated (multi-coating improves the amount of light that makes it through the lenses and reduces glare, giving you a brighter picture) optics were where it really counted because they need to be good enough to make out bullet holes at distances where my naked eye cant, generally over 50yrds. Since I currently don’t belong to range with a shooting distance over 100yds (its more than sufficient at this range) I never got to test it on bullet holes at long ranges but I did look down streets and other areas well beyond 100yrds and it performed pretty well for the price I paid. Optics looked clear and crisp with no odd colors or distortions on the edges of the objects I was looking at (I have seen this with cheap scopes).

The rear eyepiece is where you adjust the power setting (15x-45x). It rotates smoothly and feels well lubricated. It also has a rubber eye cup that folds back or can be taken off. The actual lens in my eyepiece is loose and rattles if shaken but does not seem to affect the performance of the scope. Its has markings at 15x, 30x and 45x. At 1000yds on 15x your field of view is 146ft and at 45x its 72ft. Minimum focus range is 13ft.The eye relief .8-.7in and which is enough for me. I have had it in sub-freezing conditions and the lubricants seem to stiffen but not freeze up. If I looked through the rear eye piece for more than several seconds it fogged up from the heat of my eye.

There is a focus knob at the point on the scope shaft that steps down. It also feels smooth and well lubricated. It rotates 360 degrees a little more than three times for your overall focus range. I had no problem with the focusing of the scope.

At the base of the scope is a flat surface with two holes in it. One of which is for the screw on the tripod mount and the other may be for a stud to maintain alignment but the second hole is not used with the black tripod provided. The tripod has aluminum legs with rubber feet on them hinged to a plastic base. In the middle of the base is a plastic collar with a vertical aluminum shaft running through it. Loosening the collar lets you raise or lower the height of the scope about 4in. With the scope mounted on the tripod the bottom of it will be between 10 and 14in above the surface. At the top of the shaft is where you mount (with a knobbed screw and locking ring) the scope to a flat base covered with a piece of textured rubber to prevent slipping. Also are three plastic knobs. One lets you set the overall tilt of the scope (looks about 60 degrees overall) and the other two make fine tune adjustments to tilt and azimuth. The fine tune knobs are not very smooth and make jerky movements but are still helpful getting the scope centered where you want it.

The black nylon case is lined with what looks like about 1/8in foam, has two buckles to close it and an adjustable carrying strap. Nothing fancy but it seems well constructed and does its job.

The whole package is not fancy but gets the job done for a reasonable price.

Only has a 1 year factory warranty.

Note: Burris clearly states that these scopes are neither fog proof or water proof, but are resistant to these conditions. In very humid environments you may have problems with internal fogging but since I live in Denver I wouldn’t know about that, its pretty dry here.

Burris 3.5-10x40 Eliminator Matte Scope 200118

Burris 3.5-10x40 Eliminator Matte Scope 200118

Store Home About Us Shipping Feedback Burris 3.5-10X40 Eliminator Matte Scope 200118 Item Description Condition New Economy Shipping $9.95 Burris 3.5-...

Burris Eliminator Ballistic Laser Scope

Burris Eliminator Ballistic Laser Scope

No more guessing yardage or hold over, fumbling with a shaky, handheld rangefinder or losing sight of a trophy shot. The Eliminator knows the precise ...
Cabela's

Burris Eliminator III Ballistic Laserscope 4-16x50mm w/ Windage Compensation 200

Burris 3x Prism Sight With Red And Green Reticle

Burris 3x Prism Sight With Red And Green Reticle

New in the box, full warranty from Burris This is a very good tactical scope for Hog Hunting

Burris 332 Prism Optic Scope 3x Cqc Red Dot Green Dot Magnifier Free Magazine

Burris 332 Prism Optic Scope 3x Cqc Red Dot Green Dot Magnifier Free Magazine

For sale is a BRAND NEW Burris 332 CQC Optic Scope Just got these back in stock, and they will be sold out by Friday . Limit one optic per customer un...

Burris Optics AR Tact Prsm Sight AR-332 3X-32mm

Burris Optics AR Tact Prsm Sight AR-332 3X-32mm

A 3x tactical prism sight that¬ s rugged, compact, and waterproof, the AR-332 features Burris' unique Ballistic/CQ reticle. This ¬ Close Quarters¬ ret...
Burris 332 Prism Optic Scope 3x Cqc Red Dot Green Dot Waterproof Magnifier