Burt's Bees Burt Bees Citrus Facial Scrub (0820011) Reviews

Burt's Bees Burt Bees Citrus Facial Scrub (0820011)

+$4.99 shipping Swanson Health Products

Like spreading potting soil on my face. This scrub is downright weird!

Jan 21, 2007 (Updated Jan 21, 2007)

Pros:Um ... No animal testing and made in the US. And it's 99.something percent natural

Cons:Hard, weird texture, strange scent, leaves face greasy, kind of stinky, just yecky

The Bottom Line: Like a brick of old dirt in a jar. Mixing is tricky and it doesn't have enough scrubby stuff. Leaves skin greasy. Natural but gross.

I just bought a bunch of Burt's Bees products because drugstore.com was giving away a free hand cream if I spent over a certain amount on Burt's Bees products. I don't need hand cream but that F word got me. Plus, I do like some Burt's Bees products.

One I found interesting was Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub. It claimed to be natural and I love citrus scents so I bought it.

OK, weird. I don't think I am going to end up loving or even liking this weird stuff, natural or not.

About this Scrub

99.94% Natural.
Uncover a pristine complexion with Citrus Facial Scrub. This blend of almonds, orange peel, and rose petals gently exfoliates and leaves skin clean and clear. 99.4% natural.
Our skin care products are made with fresh herbs, botanical oils and natural preservatives.
Our natural facial scrub will leave your skin fresh & dewy as it exfoliates dead skin cells. Gentle enough for daily use.
Printed on recycled board containing 30% post-consumer waste.
Not tested on animals.

www.drugstore.com and Burt's Bees

Packaging

This scrub comes in an orange box with what looks like a rotten orange on it. It's not vivid orange but a dark, withered looking orange. Inside, the two ounce glass tub is simply adorned with a metal screw on/off top that has a picture on it that looks like the box's. A rotten orange.

The scrub is a scary deep brown with a little bit of orange in it and is as hard packed as dirt. The scent was barely there when I whiffed the jar. Later, it turned into a weird combination of carrot or pumpkin with a slight orange scent mixed in.

The scrub is different in that it needs to be "mixed" before use.

According to the directions, I was to scoop some out and mix with a few drops of water then apply to my face.

I dug in. The consistency was like um … um … very stale carrot cake. I can't exactly explain it but it was hard and looked like dark carrot cake. I put a blob of the stuff in my palm and it broke apart like wet dirt. I added a few drops of warm water and tried to mix it up.

I wasn't sure what the consistency was supposed to be, so I slapped in on my face.

I looked like someone smeared a dirty diaper on my face. Gross. The scent was not as bad as that though. It had a light orange scent but not at all what I expected when I saw that it was a citrus scrub.

I rubbed the stuff around my face in a circular motion and could feel little bits of something scrubbing my face. I am used to fairly harsh scrubs and this one wasn't as harsh as some I have used. I think I may not have added as much water as I should have when I mixed it because it just kind of rolled off my face rather than sink into it.

I scrubbed for a couple of minutes and then rinsed. Little dark brown particles got in my hair which was unpleasant.

I managed to rinse the scrub off but my face felt somewhat weird. Oily, I guess you could say. I like scrubs that leave my face soft after but this felt less soft than it did greasy.

I patted my face dry some more and still felt the film.

I went ahead with my usual routine and my face recovered from the weirdness.

A few days later, I tried the scrub again. I used more water and mixed it better so it was more like a paste. My face still looked like I was rubbing dirt or worse on it but it scrubbed better this time.

Rinsing was the same - particles in my hairline and that oily veil left behind.

I knew from reading reviews everywhere that some women really loved this scrub. I just couldn't figure out why. My face didn't feel soft and exfoliated like I had just rid it of dead skin cells. It felt oily. The kind of oil that makes blemishes. This time, I washed my face after and moved on.

I have used the scrub once more and now am convinced that I have to wash my face after I use it to get rid of the oily feeling and to feel any benefits.

I assume I am sloughing off dead skin cells and exfoliating my face and I haven't broken out from this. But I am no fan of the scrub.

The mixing is a big pain. Having to figure out how much water is just right is a chore. The scrub, for me, doesn't feel scrubby enough. It sort of rolls around my face. While the scent isn't awful, it's not a nice, fresh citrus scent that I anticipated. It has just the tiniest amount of orange scent. And it leaves my face feeling oily.

It's cheap but cheap isn't always a good thing. I will stick with my Philosophy The Greatest Love Hydrating Microdermabrading Scrub.

I like natural products but this one wasn't a hit for me.

Ingredients

Sweet Almond Oil & Almonds, Vegetable Glycerin, Oats, Orange Peel & Oil, Rose Powder, Pecan Powder, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Nutmeg Powder, Clove Powder, Tocopheral (Vitamin E), Fragrance

Buying Info

Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub is available wherever Burt's Bees products are sold. I got mine at Drugstore.com for $6.99. That's a good price considering that it is hard packed and concentrated. I think I will have this stuff forever even if I do use it once every week or two.

Conclusion

I thought this scrub seemed interesting. I was sick of paying $25.00 for a small tube of Philosophy scrub and thought something natural would be just what I needed. And it may be. Just not this scrub. I didn't like the consistency, the residue on my face, or having to mix the hard stuff with water to make a paste.

As far as results go, it does scrub my face and probably does a decent job helping with cell turnover. It leaves a veil of oil behind which I wash off but maybe other women like that. I usually do like it myself but this just felt slimy, not moisturizing and soft.

I experienced no irritation or breakouts from this product and it will last for a long time. Still, I am going with a 2 star rating. The cons outweigh the pros for me and it's not a product I would recommend.

It's very different from traditional scrubs and you will either love it or hate it. I am definitely leaning toward the hate it end.

I could live without ever using it again but I paid for it and will use it every week or two until it is gone. I certainly won't replace it though.

BURT'S BEES -Citrus Facial Scrub Infused with refreshing Sweet Orange and Grapefruit Oils, this facial scrub removes dirt, oil and makeup. Formulated ...

Burt's Bees - Citrus Facial Scrub Infused with refreshing Sweet Orange and Grapefruit Oils, this facial scrub removes dirt, oil and makeup. Formulated...
Find facial skin care at Target.com! Burt s bees citrus facial scrub cleans, exfoliates and moisturizes your skin all in one product. Infused with ref...
Powered by Frooition Pro in titles description Burt s Bees Facial Scrub - Citrus - 2 oz Burt s Bees Citrus Facial Scrub cleans, exfoliates and moistur...
Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub contains Ground almonds, orange peel and rose petals gently exfoliate and leave skin clean, clear and moisturized. The...
Super Supplements
Burt's Bees - Citrus Facial Scrub - 2 oz. (57 g) Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub will leave your skin fresh and dewy as it exfoliates dead skin cells....
LuckyVitamin.com
Citrus Facial Scrub 2 oz Liquid - Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub will leave your skin fresh and dewy as it exfoliates your skin. Gentle enough for da...
Swanson Health Products
Citrus Facial Scrub by Burt's Bees 2 oz Scrub WHY IT WORKS We blend natural ingredients such as oats orange peel ground almonds and ground spices with...
Burt s Bees - Citrus Facial Scrub - 2 oz. (57 g)Burt s Bees Citrus Facial Scrub will leave your skin fresh and dewy as it exfoliates dead skin cells. ...
--- Select Brand --- Avent Braun Carlson CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Inf...
Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub 2 oz Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub 2 oz Facial Scrub Soothing blend of natural ingredients to nourish weak nails and...
Untitled Document Search titles descriptions Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub, 2 Ounce (Pack of 3) Burt’s Bees® Citrus Facial Scrub cleans, exfoliat...
We Guarantee - Great buys, Fast shipping, value for your money! NEW Burts Bees Citrus Facial Scrub 2 Ounces (Pack of 2) - Brand New items - Free shipp...