Bush's Best Maple Cured Bacon Baked Beans 28oz

Bush's Baked Beans with Bacon

Apr 8, 2008 (Updated Apr 8, 2008)

Pros:Taste like homemade baked beans, good for you

Cons:Wish they contained more bacon

The Bottom Line: Great thick baked beans that almost taste homemade. So much better than pork and beans!

One of my favorite bean recipes calls for pieces of bacon to be placed on top of the beans, and the bacon adds a distinct flavor to my dish. When I'm in a hurry and don't have time to soak my beans and prepare them in the traditional Boston Baked Bean style, I often choose Bush's Baked Beans.

They come in a variety of flavors, and we like them all, but especially their Maple Cured Bacon Baked Beans.

Description

This is a large, heavy can of baked beans, containing 28 ounces. The label refers to this as specially cured bacon and a touch of maple syrup.

The picture shows a crock full of brown colored baked beans, which look like Boston Baked Beans, only a little lighter, since these don't contain molasses, (which makes Boston Baked Beans very dark colored).

Nutritional Info

(For each 1/2 cup serving)

* Calories: 140
* Fiber: 5g
* Sugars: 11g
* Protein: 6g

Ingredients

Water, prepared white beans, sugar, mustard, maple cured bacon, salt, pure maple syrup, corn starch, onion powder, caramel color, tapioca maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract, bacon fat, natural flavors, and natural smoke flavor.

Thoughts

We love to pack these beans in our motorhome, and I always have them on hand in our kitchen during the summer months. We have a large yard with a big fire pit, and often have friends over for impromptu barbecues. Oftentimes one of our neighbors asks to use our fire pit and they invite us out to eat with them in the hot summer months. When one of these occasions arrives, it's always nice to take a dish along as well as the meat that we are going to cook.

Many people will run to the store and pick up prepared macaroni or potato salad, but that's not me. I personally don't like the taste of those store prepared salads, and I like to take something that tastes as close to homemade as possible. That's where Bush's Baked Beans come in so handy! I usually pour two of these 28 ounce cans into a casserole dish and bake them in my oven for 1/2 hour, or just until they are heated through. Everyone raves about them, and my dish is always empty at the end of the day!

Beans are a good source of nutrition, containing fiber and protein, without a lot of calories and very low in fat. You can tell by reading the ingredients that these beans are carefully prepared - they contain many of the same ingredients that I use when I bake my beans from scratch.

The maple gives them a great country taste, they are smooth and rich and satisfying. I wish these contained more bacon, but then Bush's would probably have to raise the price, since bacon is pretty expensive these days. The natural smoke flavor that they add really does make these taste like they've been baking in someones oven for a good five hours!!

My husband grew up on beans, his mom made them all the time, and still does. He loves these Bush's Maple Cured Bacon Baked Beans, and so do I. They are much thicker than a can of pork and beans, and they sure come in handy when we are out camping and I want some baked beans to serve with out hotdogs or burgers.

I also like how the bottom of the can doesn't have those rounded edges, because when I can use my can opener to cut the bottom off of the can, rinse it out, and smash it flat. It takes up very little room in our garbage can, compared to just throwing the can in the trash. And when we're out camping, we accumulate trash much quicker than we'd like (with use of paper plates, cups, etc), so any way we can conserve on waste is very much appreciated.

Every summer I stock up on Bush's Baked Beans when they are on sale, and we enjoy them every time we fix them. If only they would de-gas their white beans before hand, these would be the perfect meal!! (But then there is always Beano).

This can retails at my store for $2.25.

Bush's Baked Beans: Maple Cured Bacon (large 1 Lb, 12 Oz Cans) 2 Pack

Bush's Baked Beans: Maple Cured Bacon (large 1 Lb, 12 Oz Cans) 2 Pack

Bush's Baked Beans: Maple Cured Bacon (Large 1 lb, 12 oz Cans) 2 Pack ◙ Quick Shipping! Most orders in by 3:00 PM EST ship out the same day!◙ Fast...

Maple Ham & Bacon Cure, 2 lbs.

Maple Ham & Bacon Cure, 2 lbs.

This cure infuses hams or bacon with a delicious sweet maple flavor, very popular blend. Contains Cure#1.Comes with full instructions using a brine. F...