Bushnell ONIX 350 Handheld GPS Receiver Reviews

Bushnell ONIX 350 Handheld GPS Receiver

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Good Idea poorly executed

Sep 14, 2008 (Updated Sep 14, 2008)

Pros:Satellite imagery in a GPS is a great idea.

Cons:Slow, costly, all software along with the website are all very poorly done.

The Bottom Line:

As a Garmin used for the last 5 years I can't recommended this unit in any way. I am sending it back.

The big feature of this GPS is the ability to "overlay" aerial images and topo maps over the base map. Well it sort of does that... When you finally get one of these images loaded into the unit the resolution is not very good. The base maps are very old, in my city the maps were missing roads that have been around for at least 20 years. The topo images are scans of old USGS topo maps which are usually over 30 years old. But the worst part is the surprise when you find out that you have to pay for the images and maps. The level one images are about 1500 feet square and sell for 1 "credit" each. One "credit" is $1.00, 25 for $20, or 140 for $79. No where in the information did I see that coming. The PC Companion software that comes with the unit is very poor compared to the others, it appears to have been written by someone who has no idea what it should do. The website where you download the maps and images is run as Popup and it won't work unless you turn off you Popup blocker. They give you instructions on how to get aroung this but they do not work. The Website is bad...slow and confusing.
I am extremely disappointed. Bushnell needs to drop this line and go back to what that know.

SquareTrade AP6.0 Check out this awesome, color Bushnell handheld sport GPS navigation unit. Please have a look at the features. You will love this sy...