Aren't these supposed to whiten and stay white?

Mar 15, 2009

Pros:Cheap
Fast results
Found at most any store

Cons:Sensitivity
Hard application
Uncomfortable after use
Breathing while wearing
Doesn't last

The Bottom Line: If you just want to whiten your teeth fast and cheap this would be the way to go. If you want long term results I would suggest professional teeth whitening.

When these first came out on the market I actually thought that they were a good creation for people who don't have the money to get professional teeth whitening. But you might as well just save your money and get the professional stuff because these will just swallow your money.

Price
These not so amzing teeth whitening strips are sold anywhere from $25-$50. I have found these strips though at my local Wal-Mart for about $17, not including tax. So for "fast" teeth whitening these are pretty cheap.

Find them at...
You can get these whitening strips at most stores and pharmacies. Anywhere from your local grocery store to Wal-Mart or K-mart.

Ingredients
Purified water, Glycerin, Hydrogen Peroxide, Carbopol 956, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, and Sodium Stannate

Box contents
In each box of Crest Whitestrips, it contains 56 strips all together. There is 28 for the upper teeth and 28 for the lower teeth. These 56 strips should last you 6 months. In the box the two different kinds of strips are held in little compartments so that they don't get mixed up. If you do happen to get the strips mixed up it's ok because each strip is in it's own package and in the front of the package it says either upper or lower strip.

Easy directions?
On the back of the box it has three pictures that show you step by step to put the strips on. The exact words are:
1- Just peel
2- Apply
3- Reveal your whiter smile

What they forgot to leave out is how hard it is to put them on. To apply these to your teeth you have to pull the strip off its liner and and then fit them over your teeth. It sounds easy enough but it really isn't because when you pull the whitening strip off its liner it flings over and sticks to your finger. And what happens when it sticks to your finger? The whitening gel comes off! So before you even get them on your teeth some of the gel is off. Once you have taken them off their liner you then have to place them on the front of your teeth and then fold the rest over the back of your teeth. Once again this seems simple, but when you go to place them on your teeth they usually slide up, down, left, or right which again rubs more gel off. Well once you get the top ones on you have to go through all of this again to put the bottom ones on. Good luck.

While wearing them
Now once you have put both, the upper and lower strips on, you have to sit around and wait for 30 minutes. I thought this would be the easiest part, but it is actually probably the hardest. If you breathe too hard, cough, sneeze, or any other rough breath or motion the strips fy off your teeth! And once they have come off of your teeth they are wasted and you have to put new ones on. So as long as you don't breathe while you have them in your good to go.

Taking off
When your 30 minute time is up all you have to do to take them off is just pull them off. The thing I hated about this part was that when you take them off it leaves left over gel on your teeth and you can feel it just covering them. It feels like you have a thick layer of mud across your teeth.

One size and one size only
These Crest strips only come in one size, 1.5''.And if your teeth or mouth is bigger or smaller than this they won't whiten all of your teeth, which I thought was the point of these. But if your teeth are this size then these will fit you. Other than that don't even try these out.

How long do they stay white?
Thee strips do whiten, but they don't last as long as the box says. The box says they will stay noticeably white for 12 months, but after I went through the whole box and stopped using them, the pearly whites started to fade, and they fade fast.

How fast do they whiten?
I began to see results around the fourth day of using them. The more I used them the whiter they began to get. So these do work fast and will whiten your teeth, but they won't stay white if you stop using the strips.

Sensitivty
You're supposed to use these strips twice a day for 30 minutes at a time, but my teeth began to be really sensitive because I was using them so much. I then cut down to only using them once a day. This made the strips last twice as long, but it takes more time for the whitening process to happen. If your teeth become sensitive I would suggest cutting down to once a day or if you don't want to do that you can try brushing your teeth before and after using the Crest strips.