Campbell Hausfeld 6.5 hp Oil-Lubed Compressor 16600

CH compressor

Sep 10, 2000 (Updated Mar 23, 2001)

Pros:Little space required (2.5' x 2.5')

Cons:Not portable (buy extra air hose)

The Bottom Line: Don't settle for less, it's worth the extra $100 over a 110v oil-less model.

I purchased this item at Home Depot on sale for $295 ($100+ off). It was brand new still banded in box bolted on a pallet weighing 250 lbs. I wired it up to a 220v 20 amp breaker using 30 feet of 10/3 with ground wire (I wouldn't go any smaller on the wire for peace of mind), but only using the 3 wires with insulation. When you start it, the 6.5hp motor jumps & starts pumping (probably because of the 2 capacitors on top the motor). A couple minutes later the 60 gallon tank reaches 125psi and shuts off, kicking on again at 95psi.

According to the owners manual, the cast iron (not just cast iron cylinder sleeves) twin cylinder pump crankcase requires 16oz of "compressor oil" (basically SAE 30). But I have experienced lots of oil build-up in the dirt/liquid filter attached to the tank exhaust & the dip stick reads the oil is 1 inch above the full line. For this reason & the fact that I gave CH Tech a call (he said that over filled crankcase will blow extra oil into tank), the owners manual is believed to be wrong & the crankcase should be filled with 6oz of oil instead. Always trust the dip stick & not the book.

After adding oil, you are to break-in the pump by running it for 30 minutes non-stop without being under a load (air freely flowing out the tank exhaust). Should change oil every few months depending on use.

The only problem is that mine did not come with an oil drain extension tube (ST083800AV) & cap (ST150100AV) so I called the company (1-888-247-6937) & they directed me to a local dealer. The local dealer said that I was suppose to get the set with my compressor model (sealed in the package with the owner's manual) & he would order them for me & bill the company. When I went there to pick-up my 'free' parts, they said they would have to charge me $8 for them because it was not covered by the company after all. Without this tube the oil will spew all over the tank when draining it. Make sure your's comes with one.

Besides wiring ($20), I had to purchase a few reducers for the 3/4" air outlet in the tank. Going from 3/4" to 1/2", then another reducer for 1/2" to 3/8", then to a regulator/filter combo ($50), then another reducer for 3/8" to 1/4", now to the air hose coupler, & 2-50' air hoses ($30). Also use some thread sealing tape.

I considered Craftsman compressors first but their comparable 60 gallon oil-lube models started at $500+. The nice thing about the Craftsman compressors is that they do not have a dip stick to check the oil level, the oil add tube is short so you just add oil until it is full.

It is an Extreme Duty model (compared to Standard & Serious Duty models); top-of-the-line equipment for frequent use in an automotive garage. It has a 3 year warranty & a product life up to 3,000 hours (based on B-10 bearing life).

It produces 10+ SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute) at 90psi. Even though most air tools require around 5 SCFM (& some DA sanders require 12+ SCFM), it is always good to forget the horsepower rating (which tells you nothing) & get a compressor as high in SCFM as you can afford so it won't be running all the time and sometimes loose-out (drop below 95psi) on pressure.

Also, get as big a tank as you can afford also. The bigger tank will give you more reserve air for the tools that require more than what your compressor pump can handle (if it is loosing out on pressure).

This compressor is somewhat noisy. The advertisements say that it is quiet but I would say that it is comparable to other 220v models. It is just as loud but produces a more deeper tone than the oil-less models that sound more like a refrigerator running.

As far as the cons are, the only thing I can think of is that it is not portable around the house, so buy extra air hose. The brite side of this is that it is too bulky for your friends to borrow.

Portables: Campbell Hausfeld 8 gal. Oil-Lubed Compressor HL540100AV

Portables: Campbell Hausfeld 8 gal. Oil-Lubed Compressor HL540100AV

Shop for Air Compressors, Tools & Accessories at The Home Depot. This portable compressor is great for around the garage at home. Capable of heavy dut...
Home Depot

Campbell Hausfeld Oil-free Pancake Air Compressor

Campbell Hausfeld Oil-free Pancake Air Compressor

SquareTrade AP6.0 BRAND NEW Campbell Hausfeld FP2028 1-Gallon Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor Fast Shipping The sturdy handle allows for comfortable h...

Campbell Hausfeld 0.8 HP 2 Gallon Oil-Free Air Compressor with Inflation Kit FP2048

0.8 HP 2 Gallon Oil-Free Air Compressor with Inflation Kit - FP2048. 25 ft. Recoil Hose. (2) Inflation Nozzles. Inflation Needle. Inflation Needle Ada...
Tyler Tool

CPO Outlets

CAMPBELL HAUSFELD HV2500 HVLP Paint Sprayer, 2 Stage, 1 qt.

CAMPBELL HAUSFELD HV2500 HVLP Paint Sprayer, 2 Stage, 1 qt.

HVLP Paint Sprayer, Clear Coats, Enamels, Lacquers, Oil Base , Stains, Varnishes, Waterborne Coatings, Number of Settings 1, Number of Stages 2, Patte...
Zoro

Campbell Hausfeld 5 Hp 80 Gallon Oil-lube Vertical Compressor Ce6000

Campbell Hausfeld 5 Hp 80 Gallon Oil-lube Vertical Compressor Ce6000

CPO SEARCH SHOP BY CATEGORY Accessories Combo Kits Compressors Generators Cordless Tools Drills/Drivers Hand Tools Heavy-Duty Home Measuring Tools Met...

Campbell Hausfeld Fully Packaged Air Compressor - 7.5 HP, 24.3 CFM @ 175 PSI, 230 Volt 3 Phase, Model CE7001FP

Campbell Hausfeld Tire and Lube Series 2-stage air compressor allows you to spend time operating your business, not maintaining your compressor. Featu...
Northern Tool

Campbell Hausfeld 1.7 HP 20 Gallon Oil-Free Wheeled Horizontal Air Compressor WL6502

20 Gallon Oil-Free Horizontal Air Compressor - WL6502. Built In Tool and Accessory Storage
Tyler Tool