Campbell's Select New England Clam Chowder 18.6oz

Campbell's Select New England Clam Chowder - Wintertime Comfort Food

Nov 16, 2007 (Updated Feb 11, 2008)

Pros:great taste, good consistency, filling

Cons:makes a mess of the microwave if not covered, high in sodium

The Bottom Line: Another great soup from Campbell's that is the perfect size for a mid-day meal.

Soup is one of my favorite things to eat. I even make my own soups from time to time. I have not ventured into the area of clam chowders just yet, and don't really see the need to as long as there are soups out there like Campbell's Select New England Clam Chowder.

The Select variety of Campbell's soups do not need water or milk added to them like their condensed soups do. Right when I open the can of soup, it looks different than what I am used to getting from condensed soup. The liquid is white in color and looks thick without being so thick that I think I would have to add more liquid to it. There are flecks of celery at the top as well.

It's not until I dumped it out into a bowl for the microwave that I can see the rest of the ingredients. There are lots of cubed potatoes along with bits of clam. Now, I am not a seafood eater at all. Basically the only two things I'll touch in that category is tuna fish and clam chowder. I really like the size of the clam bits in Campbell's Select New England Clam Chowder. It's not so small that I almost miss them like in other soups. At the same time, they aren't so large that they turn me off from the chowder.

The soup heats up nicely in the microwave, although I do notice quite a bit of "popping". I have had that issue before with soup, particularly with the clam chowder. It has to do with the consistency of the clam meat and I don't know that there's a way to avoid it. For this reason, I make sure I use a covered bowl when heating it in the microwave.

The aroma of the heated clam chowder is wonderful. It's enticing and makes my mouth water. After it's hot I stirred the soup and the chunks of meat and potatoes are very evident. The soup isn't too thick but isn't runny either.

The taste is delicious. It doesn't have a particular bite to it, but is a smooth, filling soup. The celery and potatoes are soft without being mushy and falling apart. The chunks of clam are tender and not really chewy - a problem I've come across in the past. The main taste in the broth comes from the combination of clams and onions.

One cup of Campbell's Select New England Clam Chowder contains 110 calories, which isn't too bad. 20 of those calories are from fat. There are 16g of carbohydrates, mostly from the potatoes. Like most soups, this is high in sodium. The 870mg in a cup represent 36% of the recommended daily allowance.

This is a great soup to bring for lunch. I love the taste and it's rich and hearty. It fills me up nicely and doesn't have a tremendous amount of calories. I enjoy having it on cold nights to warm me up and get rid of my hunger.

This is part of Julie's Food for Food write-off in conjunction with the November first review contest where Epinions is donating $1 for each first review submitted to them this month. Please join in!

Other soup reviews:

Campbell's Chunky Beef & Vegetables Soup ~ Campbell's Chunky Beef Rib Roast Soup ~ Campbell's Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle Soup ~ Campbell's Chunky Homesyle Chicken & Dumplings Soup ~ Campbell's Chunky Pork Roast Soup ~ Campbell's Select Chicken & Long Grain Rice Soup ~ Campbell's Select Chicken Tortilla Soup ~ Campbell's Select Italian Wedding Soup

Progresso Roasted Garlic Chicken Soup ~ Progresso Traditional Italian Style Wedding Soup