Canon PIXMA IP4500 Digital Photo Inkjet Printer Reviews

Canon PIXMA IP4500 Digital Photo Inkjet Printer

Tons of features for the price

Jul 24, 2008

• Paper Handling:

Pros:photo quality, text quality, duplex printing; two printing trays

Cons:installation software, inks with chips

The Bottom Line: buy it, there is nothing else on the market with the features this printer offers and the DPI.

I bought this printer to replace a Canon I860 after 4 years the print head started to go bad. I was torn between the IP4500 and the MP610. I decided against the MP610 because I already have a second printer, which is multifunction printer.

Inks: One of the concerns with all printers is the cost of ink. I bought a set of all 5 inks for $56.00 at Costco almost twice as much as I used to pay for the #6 ink for the I860. The #8 ink for the 4500 has chips installed and you are now paying for those chips (a trick they learned from Epson). IMO individual tanks are not really any better then the other tanks, even with individual tanks they all seem to run out about the same time. IMO the chips will almost certainly guarantee this. The ink on the 4500 is chromeolife though so it should last longer and be less fade resistant then the 6 ink.

Installation: Setting up the printer is straightforward, however I did have some problems with the installation disk. I kept getting error messages of mpsetup4.exe could not load, which would not allow me to install the drivers or software. Cannon shipped some of these printers with bad installation disks. Just go to the Canon site and download the newest drivers and software, or you could call Canon and they will send out a new disk. If you don’t load from the disk you will need to manually go in to the printer set-up screen and do a first time print head alignment.

Operation: This printer is much quieter then my I860 although once you turn it on it does go through a lot of motions in order to be ready to print, so did my 860.

Quality of Prints/Documents: Picture quality is amazing (photo lab quality) and the documents are laser crisp. I can’t tell which photos are better the ones from the I860 or the 4500-they are very close. People have been amazed when I show them a photo and tell them that I printed it at home.

Overall: I would recommend this printer. It is one step up from the IP3500 and has better DPI and worth the additional money. I don’t think any of the other printers on the market in the same price range have specs that are close to this printer with all the features it offers. Before switching to Canon I used to buy Epson’s but I had so many problems with nozzles clogging and noise that I will never purchase another Epson printer again.

Operating System: Windows

The Canon Pixma iP4500 InkJet Photo Printer is fully compatible with PC, Mac systems. This printer connectivity interface: USB 2.0, PictBridge.