Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens) Reviews

Bad Product, Bad Service

May 30, 2009 (Updated May 30, 2009)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Instructions are good, and it's fairly easy to use.

Cons:CF pins break for no reason, thus rendering the camera useless.

The Bottom Line: I would never recommend this camera to anyone until and if Canon solves the problem of the CF pins bending and breaking.

I bought this camera for my husband in December of 2007 at Costco in Warrenton, Oregon. He never had a chance to use it, so I started using it occasionally about a year later. Probably took less than 50 photos with the camera, and then about 10 of the CF pins bent when I reinserted the memory card.
Thinking that I might have done something wrong, I sent the camera to be repaired at the Canon service center. Paid $250 for this, including shipping.
Got it back, inserted a brand-new memory card, and the pins bent again! Naturally, Canon says that there is something wrong with the card I used, and sent me a shipping label to send it back yet again since it is still, thankfully, under the repair warranty.
However, I really don't want a camera I have to send to be repaired every time I put in a memory card! I have been using digital cameras since they were introduced, and have never had a problem like this.
A neighbor of ours purchased the same camera at the same store at around the same time and has the same problem. She finally just bought a new camera, but I have problems with having paid $800 plus $250 for repairs for a lemon camera I can't use.
Obviously, I am not at all impressed with this camera. Even when it does work, it is heavy and awkward. The picture quality is good if you have a tripod, but that's about it. I would never recommend this camera to anyone.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Canon Eos Rebel T3i 18-55Mm Is Ii Kit - Black

Canon Eos Rebel T3i 18-55Mm Is Ii Kit - Black

The REBEL on the Move.Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the ...
Larris Cameras

Opteka Video Shoulder Stabilizer Support Rig F Canon Eos 5d Mark 2 3 Ii Iii 5dm3

Opteka Video Shoulder Stabilizer Support Rig f Canon EOS 5D Mark 2 3 II III 5DM3 This Item is Compatible with the Following Models: Canon Powershot SX...

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D DSLR Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens (32GB Value Bundle) The REBEL on the Move. Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camer...
Canon EOS Rebel T4i 3 Lens Pro Kit (16PC KIT)

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 3 Lens Pro Kit (16PC KIT)

Image Sensor CMOS LCD 3.0 Series EOS LCD Coverage 100% Battery Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack
Newegg.com

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm - 135 mm

Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. T...
Office Depot

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Shoot landscapes or family pictures with the digital slr camera from canon. This 18-megapixel camera features a va...

Canon - EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera, 18 Megapixel, Full HD Movie Mode, EF-S 18-135mm

Canon EOS Rebel T 3 i Digital SLR Camera, 18 Megapixels, Full HD Movie Mode, EFS EF S 18135mm 18135 mm 18 135 mm f/3.55.6 f/ 3 . 55 . 6 f/ 3 . 5 5 . 6...
Adorama

Canon Eos Rebel T3i W 18 55Mm Is Ii 18Mp Digital Slr Camera - Black

Canon Eos Rebel T3i W 18 55Mm Is Ii 18Mp Digital Slr Camera - Black

An easy-to-use camera that's capable of creating a masterpiece. The EOS Rebel T3i digital SLR delivers elite detail and speed plus super-sharp 18-mega...
Good Life Gadgets

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D DSLR Digital Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens (16GB Value Bundle) The REBEL on the Move. Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camer...