Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens) Reviews

14 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Bad Product, Bad Service

May 30, 2009 (Updated May 30, 2009)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Instructions are good, and it's fairly easy to use.

Cons:CF pins break for no reason, thus rendering the camera useless.

The Bottom Line: I would never recommend this camera to anyone until and if Canon solves the problem of the CF pins bending and breaking.

I bought this camera for my husband in December of 2007 at Costco in Warrenton, Oregon. He never had a chance to use it, so I started using it occasionally about a year later. Probably took less than 50 photos with the camera, and then about 10 of the CF pins bent when I reinserted the memory card.
Thinking that I might have done something wrong, I sent the camera to be repaired at the Canon service center. Paid $250 for this, including shipping.
Got it back, inserted a brand-new memory card, and the pins bent again! Naturally, Canon says that there is something wrong with the card I used, and sent me a shipping label to send it back yet again since it is still, thankfully, under the repair warranty.
However, I really don't want a camera I have to send to be repaired every time I put in a memory card! I have been using digital cameras since they were introduced, and have never had a problem like this.
A neighbor of ours purchased the same camera at the same store at around the same time and has the same problem. She finally just bought a new camera, but I have problems with having paid $800 plus $250 for repairs for a lemon camera I can't use.
Obviously, I am not at all impressed with this camera. Even when it does work, it is heavy and awkward. The picture quality is good if you have a tripod, but that's about it. I would never recommend this camera to anyone.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Body

Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Body

STM Lens Support for Quiet AF in Movies 18.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor DIGIC 5 Image Processor 3.0 Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD ISO 100-12800, Expandable to ...
RytherCamera.com

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18mp DSLR Camera and 18-55mm Lens

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18mp DSLR Camera and 18-55mm Lens

This 18mp Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm lens and included image stabilizer produce stunning, high quality images from a lightweight, co...
BuyDig.com

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm - 135 mm

Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. T...
Office Depot

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Shoot landscapes or family pictures with the digital slr camera from canon. This 18-megapixel camera features a va...

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens & 55-

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens & 55-

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens amp; 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens + Accessory Package
FumFie

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm - 55 mm 5

Pricefalls.com

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit

EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit, 18MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor, 3.0 Clear View Vari-Angle LCD, Full HD ...
B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS lens

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS lens

Create your masterpiece with EOS Rebel T3i 18-55mm IS II Digital SLR Camera Kit from Canon. This camera features DIGIC 4 Image Processor along with 18...
Dell

Take clear, beautiful pictures at any distance with the Canon EOS Rebel T3i Black 18MP DSLR Camera with Canon EF-S 55-250mm Lens Value Bundle. This pa...

Buy Canon EOS REBEL T3i Black 18 MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens, Everything You Need Kit, 5169B003 with fast shipping and top-rated cus...
Newegg.com