Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens) Reviews

Bad Product, Bad Service

May 30, 2009 (Updated May 30, 2009)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Instructions are good, and it's fairly easy to use.

Cons:CF pins break for no reason, thus rendering the camera useless.

The Bottom Line: I would never recommend this camera to anyone until and if Canon solves the problem of the CF pins bending and breaking.

I bought this camera for my husband in December of 2007 at Costco in Warrenton, Oregon. He never had a chance to use it, so I started using it occasionally about a year later. Probably took less than 50 photos with the camera, and then about 10 of the CF pins bent when I reinserted the memory card.
Thinking that I might have done something wrong, I sent the camera to be repaired at the Canon service center. Paid $250 for this, including shipping.
Got it back, inserted a brand-new memory card, and the pins bent again! Naturally, Canon says that there is something wrong with the card I used, and sent me a shipping label to send it back yet again since it is still, thankfully, under the repair warranty.
However, I really don't want a camera I have to send to be repaired every time I put in a memory card! I have been using digital cameras since they were introduced, and have never had a problem like this.
A neighbor of ours purchased the same camera at the same store at around the same time and has the same problem. She finally just bought a new camera, but I have problems with having paid $800 plus $250 for repairs for a lemon camera I can't use.
Obviously, I am not at all impressed with this camera. Even when it does work, it is heavy and awkward. The picture quality is good if you have a tripod, but that's about it. I would never recommend this camera to anyone.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Canon Eos Rebel T3i 18-55Mm Is Ii Kit - Black

Canon Eos Rebel T3i 18-55Mm Is Ii Kit - Black

The REBEL on the Move.Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the ...
FloshGets Limited

Canon Eos Rebel T3i Dslr Camera With 1855Mm Lens

Canon Eos Rebel T3i Dslr Camera With 1855Mm Lens

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with 18–55mm Lens: Capture your next masterpiece with this Canon Rebel T3i, an easy-to-use compact DSLR that boasts ...
Hipoint Sales

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 3 Lens Pro Kit (16PC KIT)

Canon EOS Rebel T4i 3 Lens Pro Kit (16PC KIT)

Image Sensor CMOS LCD 3.0 Series EOS LCD Coverage 100% Battery Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack
Newegg.com

Canon - EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - U.

Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - U.S.A. Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR is Canon's most sophisticated Re...
Adorama

Canon EOS Rebel T3i SLR Digital Camera with Canon 18-55mm Is Lenses

Canon EOS Rebel T3i SLR Digital Camera with Canon 18-55mm Is Lenses

Canon EOS Rebel T3i SLR Digital Cameras with Canon 18-55mm Is Lenses + Huge Accessories Package Including Wide Angle Macro Lens + 2x Telephoto Lens + ...

Canon Eos Rebel T4i Kit With 18-55Mm Lens - Black

Canon Eos Rebel T4i Kit With 18-55Mm Lens - Black

Weight 18.3 oz. (body only) Megapixels (Effective) 18.0 A camera's image sensor resolution measured in millions of tiny dots (pixels). Effecti...

+$3,000.00 shipping
Everything You Need Accessory Kit For Canon Eos Rebel 6d Dslr Digital Camera

Everything You Need Accessory Kit For Canon Eos Rebel 6d Dslr Digital Camera

Everything You Need Accessory Kit for Canon EOS Rebel 6D DSLR Digital Camera Opteka 58mm 2.2X HD Telephoto Lens Description: Nothing changes the way y...

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D SLR Camera Body + EF-S 18-135mm IS + EF-S

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D SLR Camera Body + EF-S 18-135mm IS + EF-S

Kit Contains Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D SLR Camera Body + EF-S 18-135mm IS + EF-S 55-250mm Lens Parts 1 Year Limited Labor 1 Year Limited