Canon EOS Rebel XSi / 450D 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens) Reviews

Fantastic Camera for the Intermediate Photographer!

Apr 16, 2010

• Battery Life:
  • Photo Quality:
  • Shutter Lag

Pros:Large screen, qualtiy construction, easy for intermediate photographer to use, fantastic quality photos!

Cons:A little complex for a beginner, only takes SD card, weak shutter

The Bottom Line: Fantastic product.  Great photos, easy to use, easy to love.

I've been snapping pictures since I got my first film camera when I was 12.  I never dreamed I could one day own such beautiful camera as the Canon Xsi!

The 12MP photos are outrageously detailed and fantastic! Of course, as an SLR - a better lens makes a better photo...  But you almost can't go wrong.  The auto focus, automatic mode and built in flash makes it easy for anyone to snap a great photo with this camera.

If you are a more advanced user and you know how to manipulate the ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings, you can take high-quality, high-resolution professional photos.

The large screen is perfect for viewing zooms in more than expected.  The menus are easy to navigate and initial set up is simple.

I got along fine with the standard 18-55mm lens that comes with it, but I felt the need to upgrade and the 17-85mm lens that I use now is perfect for almost any daily situation.

If I'm in a hurry to snap a quick picture I usually put the camera on automatic.  If I have time to set up a shot or be experimental I like to play with the aperture and shutter speed to take long exposure shots or portaits.  I also bought a tripod to help steady the camera.  I'm not an expert, but I've managed to take some really interesting photos!

My previous digital cameras took two different kinds of memory cards and I was a little bummed out that the xsi only takes one SD card, but I bought a higher-end 8GB card and I've had no issues with it.

Overall, this is by far the best investment I've made in my photographic arsenal.  I love this camera and I feel no need to upgrade any time soon - if ever.

The only drawback is that Canon SLRs have a tendency to wear out the shutter if you are an extreme photo snapper.  My mother wore out the shutter on two Canon's and finally had to upgrade to the (very expensive) professional model.  My old Canon Rebel SLR had the same thing happen, but I purchased that one used and it lasted me about a year and a half.  Unfortunately I don't know how much use it had prior to me buying it.

I've had my Xsi for over a year now and with my general use I expect to have no problems for at least a good 10 years.  If I get 10 years of use from this stunning camera, I will be pleased.

This Camera is a Good Choice if You Want Something... Flexible Enough for Enthusiasts

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18mp DSLR Camera and 18-55mm Lens

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18mp DSLR Camera and 18-55mm Lens

This 18mp Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with 18-55mm lens and included image stabilizer produce stunning, high quality images from a lightweight, co...
BuyDig.com

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera (Body with Lens Kit) - 18 mm - 135 mm

Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. T...
Office Depot

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Canon EOS Rebel 60D 18MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm IS Lens - Black

Find digital cameras at Target.com! Shoot landscapes or family pictures with the digital slr camera from canon. This 18-megapixel camera features a va...

Canon - EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens, Digit

Canon EOS Rebel T4i Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR is Canon's most sophisticated Rebel ever. B...
Adorama

Canon Eos Rebel T3i W 18 55Mm Is Ii 18Mp Digital Slr Camera - Black

Canon Eos Rebel T3i W 18 55Mm Is Ii 18Mp Digital Slr Camera - Black

An easy-to-use camera that's capable of creating a masterpiece. The EOS Rebel T3i digital SLR delivers elite detail and speed plus super-sharp 18-mega...
Mobitech Store

+$3,000.00 shipping
Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit

Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit

18MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, DIGIC 4 Imaging Processor, 3.0 Clear View Vari-Angle LCD, Full HD 1080p Video With Manual Exposure, Compatible with Canon EF a...
B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio

Canon EOS Rebel T3i Black 18MP DSLR Camera, EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II Lens, 3.0 LCD, EOS Full HD Movie Mode

Enjoy professional EOS features in an easy-to-use, lightweight digital SLR that's a joy to use. The EOS Rebel T3i DSLR Camera from Canon features an 1...

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i 18MP SLR With 18-55 IS Ultra 3 Lens Bundle With Flash

Beach Camera.com